Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:54 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,849,625 times

Advertisements

What don't you like about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 03:33 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,494,009 times
I liked the parks and all the indie restaurants downtown.
I loved some of the pretty old houses down off of Stewart and the like.

I didn't like that they tried to call downtown "The District" that's just stupid!
And I didn't like some of the "town/gown" aspects of college town life.
All the stupid Wal-Marts driving out the local guys and the good grocery stores.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,530,530 times
Great restaurants and malls for shopping. Parks are good, also. Agree about WM and the negative affect upon Mom & Pop type of establishments. But all and all, Columbia has so much to offer and is a very good city in the middle of the state. Location, location, location.... Just had to type that here. lol

Old 01-28-2009, 08:22 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,885,095 times
Missouri Tigers Football!
Attached Thumbnails
What do you like best about Columbia?-mizzou-001.jpg  

Last edited by Inoxkeeper; 01-29-2009 at 06:09 AM..

Old 02-04-2009, 05:03 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,725,657 times
The downtown area is one of the best in the U.S., despite the influence of Wal-Mart. It's very walkable and lively and lots going on. Well, okay, I haven't lived there in a number of years, but last time I was down there it was still pretty nice.

What made me glad that I moved from there though is the growth. Several years ago they rated it as the number one place to live in America, and that ruined Columbia I think--too many new housing developments and sprawl out into my favorite countryside areas made it a lot less livable for me. I did like what they did to my mom's neighborhood by Fairview though--they made a really nice park area where she can walk and she sees a lot of deer all thru the year.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 PM

309 posts, read 1,022,974 times
Like: Parks, Bike/walking trails, variety of restaurants

Dislikes: Bikers near the university constantly running stop signs and other acts of reckless and illegal biking.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:06 AM

31 posts, read 114,436 times
Likes: A lot of bang for the buck in terms of cultural events (concerts, plays, art/museums). Because of high student population that doesn't have a lot of money, good selection of low to mid-priced rental, retail and entertainment options. Eclectic mix of retail and restaurant offerings. Great downtown area--good for pedestrians. Very good schools. Safer than an average city in the U.S.; most parts of the city are safe. Very reasonable cost of living. Diversity. Good downtown area for pedestrians. Much more interesting than most cities of the same size. Solid non-industrial work base that isn't as prone to fluctuations as in other cities.

Dislikes: Feels more crowded and rushed than similar cities of the same size in Missouri (or elsewhere). Growing pretty fast--people who lived here 20 or even 10 years ago may not like the "newer, bigger" Columbia. Large student population is a problem at times. Some traffic on city streets during drive time (8-10 a.m., 4-5 p.m.). More property crime than most cities of this size.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:00 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,184,850 times
I use to like trying to close down all the Bars But that was about 25 years ago.

hillman

Old 02-23-2009, 03:05 AM

32 posts, read 115,940 times
Good: Beautiful and green, lots of biking and walking trails and parks, great downtown, quite diverse for such a small town (and for Missouri), lots of interesting places to eat, lots of events, speakers, etc. at MU

Not-so-good: Since it's definitely a college town, it's hard to find an apartment without loud kids late at night (maybe I stayed in the wrong place), the roads were not made for the amount of traffic the town has - it can be a pain to get somewhere during busy times and it takes longer to get from one place to another than it seems it should

More good than bad for sure!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,522,119 times
Good- Ragtag Cinema, the Missouri Theatre (amazing renovation), good hike/bike trails, my great neighborhood (Old Southwest), much of it very walkable, a public library that would be the envy of a town twice its size, a downtown that's improving as it changes from a market town for the local farmers to an area that primarily serves the college community, wonderful multicultural aspect (most of the world's major religions well represented here, nice selection of international cuisine), usually someone intelligent to talk to at parties even if they can be snobby.

Less good-- the town's leadership is ingrown almost to the point of inbred, too much focus on the people whose families have lived here for generations as if this were some sort of fiefdom, too much behind-the-scenes control by power brokers, and worst, a failure to take advantage of the economic engine that the University of Missouri could be. This town could be another Madison, another Iowa City, Boulder-- heck, maybe even an Austin-- but it won't be. That's too bad, because it could be the best place in the midwest if the genie were let out of the bottle.

I for one would put up with some more traffic if the standard of living were raised for everyone here, and that's what happens in places that thrive economically. I lived in Austin. I've spent substantial time in Madison and Iowa City. Heck, even Lawrence is thriving in a way Columbia can only dream of. The pieces are there but I'm pretty sure it won't happen, and 10 years down the line, we'll be asking why it didn't. Opportunities don't hang around indefinitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: