Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:05 AM

774 posts, read 1,412,177 times

Advertisements

Jessaka,
The only Oak Grove School I could find in my Global Earth search was a Oak Grove School (historical) of 94 east of Jefferson City. But could not find one near Forsyth. Hope you have been able to find what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 02:04 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,300,929 times
hi, yes, i found what i was looking for. some others pinpointed it down for me, and i am sure locals will know when we do go there. thanks. it must have been an old school house that no longer stands and wasn't the name of a town.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:04 AM

Hi again, I am getting ready to make my trip, and I am wondering how to get ahold of the Shepherd of the Hills group?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Take 76 east to T highway. Go down T to Sunset Inn Road. There is a kind of triangle there , with the old Oak Grove schoolhouse to the right. Snapp’s Bald is the big hill on your right.
This information just came from the Historical Society, so I imagine that it is near the Golf Course mentioned on the first page.

And another email:

Quote:
Take 76 east out of Branson to T highway. Go down T to Sunset Inn Road on your left. There is a kind of triangle there , with the old Oak Grove schoolhouse to the right after you make the turn. Snapp’s Bald is the big hill on your right.
Almost the same.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:32 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,012,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Hi again, I am getting ready to make my trip, and I am wondering how to get ahold of the Shepherd of the Hills group?
These folks:
The Shepherd of the Hills Outdoor Theatre
5586 W. Hwy 76
Branson , MO 65616
(417) 334-4191
* Administrative Fax (417) 334-4617
* Reservations Fax (417) 334-4464
1-800-653-6288
The Shepherd of the Hills (http://www.oldmatt.com/flash/ - broken link) - click on 'contact us'

The site you are looking for is just a few thousand feet from Branson itself. Put "branson, mo" into Google search, hit map, then terrain [upper right] - you will then see "Snapp Balds". Can also see it here:
Snapp Balds USGS Branson Quad, Missouri, Topographic Map
and also from one of my favourite sites:
http://www.mountainzone.com/mountain...est=Branson+MO

ps: Ozarks21 - spot on with that description!

pps: jessaka - take some photos, and put 'em here - love to see what ya find, along with a trip report...

Old 04-17-2008, 03:14 PM

Hi, I couldn't get the links to work.

I called Shepherd of the Hills, and they gave me the Historic society. I have another letter that I haven't entered:

Quote:
Hi, I'm with the White River Valley Historical Society.
Snapp Bald, or more correctly, Balds, is a series of hills west of Kirbyville, which is a village between Branson and Forsyth. I believe all of them are private property. The main bald, where Nat Kinney held one of the first Bald Knobber meetings, is located down a side road off T Hwy, which meanders through the balds. The original Oak Grove School burned in the early 1900s, and a stone building was erected at the foot of the bald in a different location. Offhand, I don't remember what the name of the road is, but it's off Sunset Inn. These are not tourist locations, but hopefully someday, we'll be able to have a driving tour to some of these historic places, with permission from the property owners.
You don't indicate in your email what your purpose is, nor when you plan to come, but our society sponsors a re-enactment of the Bald Knobber era on May 11. This year, because of flooding, the play will take place in Taneyville.
Some history on the Snapps--The Harrison, or "Hack", Snapp farm was located just south of the former town site of Forsyth, on land that now has housing subdivisions on it. You drive through the land on E. Hwy. 76, just up from Bull Shoals Lake. Snapp Cemetery is located there, and as a matter of fact, is seeing some historic flooding near the knoll it is located on. It is not in danger at this time.
There are still some Snapp descendants in this area. I am not one of them, but know a little of the family history.

I will take photos and place them here. I wish I could walk up to the mountain top, but the owners won't allow it. The Historical Society is trying to get them to allow them to bring groups up there. Wish I knew who owned the property.

I also ordered the Missouri Atlas and Gazetteer so I will have it spotted on the map.

Isn't Laura Ignalls place in Missouri too? We want to visit it. If anyone has any other places to see let me know. I am not much interested in Dollywood, although my sister and niece may be. I remember going through it a few years ago, but I didn't know that Snapp's was nearby.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,012,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Hi, I couldn't get the links to work.
,,,snip,,,
Interesting - I just tried the links here, and they worked for me... anyone else have troubles or success? If no good, what is happening?

In any case, sounds like you are making progress.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:28 AM

Now they are working for me too.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:10 PM

I found Snapp Bald. We drove up there last Saturday, and I followed directions and found the Oak Grove school on Sunset and the bald where they met first was to the right of it. Then I learned that the entire range of mountains is called Snapp Balds. It was interesting to see the place. Then we went to the Bald Knobber's Day play in Taneyville, and the people were just wonderful, and the play was great. I think it was the highlight of our trip.

Oakgrove School and Church, rebuilt. The original was made of wood:

Old 05-14-2008, 05:13 PM

This is a group of trees to the right of the school house. that is actually Snap Bald where they held their first meetings. Couldn't see the mountain due to the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri