Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:15 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,300,929 times

Advertisements

This is the play that they put on during Bald Knobber's Day. It was held in
Taneyville this year due to flooding. It is normally held in Forsyth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,300,929 times

Another scene from the play. Everyone was so friendly.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,820 times
I see you did get to Oak Grove School House off of Sunset Inn Road. Sam Snapp's place would be at the corner before getting to the school house. It is at Timber TRL (They moved his log cabin to another site.) The original wood building does not stand at the school house anymore. This stone school house is of a later time period. It is a nice picture you have posted of the school house. Andrew Coggburn was shot by Cpt. Kinney at this location. Sam Snapp witnessed it. Later, Sam Snapp would be murdered by Wash Middleton in Kirbyville.

The book, Bald Knobbers: Vigilantes on the Ozarks Frontier by Mary Hartman and Elmo Ingenthron, shows on a map that Snapp's Bald is next to the Oak Grove School. This is incorrect according to family oral tradition. The correct bald is the one on Benjamin TRL off of Guillian Dr. To get to it take HWY 76 east out of Branson, north on HWY T, turn right on Guillian Dr, turn right on Benjamin TRL. This was the one that the doctor that lives in the big house on top of the bald wanted renamed after him. That did not happen.

We will be having a Snapp Reunion in Branson in June 2009. I will be giving a free Bald Knobbers Tour at that reunion. We will look at a lot of the sites listed in the book and talk about events as they related to the Snapps. The tour includes Oak Grove School House; Sam Snapp’s place; Snapp’s Bald; homestead of Sheriff Galboa Branson; gravesite of Sheriff Branson and Marshal Funk; Kirbyville where Sam Snapp was murdered by Wash Middleton; Snapp Cemetery and Snapp property near Forsyth, MO; old town Forsyth, MO; Cpt. Kinney’s grave and Ozark Memorial Cemetery.

Last edited by jlsnapp; 11-15-2008 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: correcting information

Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 8,919 times
Smile Oak Grove School house & church east of Branson, MO

Thanks so much for your response on the location of the Oak Grove School/Church. I am working on my family history (Snapp family). My Grandmother went to Oak Grove School (she was born in Taney County in 1887), so I wanted to put it on my list of places to see when we get back down to Branson. I work on the family history for awhile, make a list of places to visit, then go visit them when we go to Branson. Have taken alot of photos at the Snapp Cemetery recently.

The Laura Ingalls Wilder home is in Mansfield, MO. I visited it when I was a child, probably back in the late 1950's or early 1960's. Since then it has been renovated. It was very enjoyable to see back then, probably more so now.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,919 times
Is the Snapp Reunion in June 2011 the same as the combined Snapp/Kaneaster Reunion? It sounds like it will be very interesting.

Sam Snapp (who was murdered by the Bald Knobbers) was the uncle of my grandmother. I find all of the history of Taney County back then to be so interesting.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 9,820 times
The June 2011 Snapp Reunion in Taney County at Kirbeyville, MO would include what was formerly known as the Snapp/Kaneaster Reunion. Other families from the Bald Knobber era are now included in the reunion.

There is also a National Snapp Family Reunion that will be happening in June 2011 at Williamsburg, VA. It includes all the descendants of Johannes Snapp who came to America in 1733. The national Snapp Reunion travels to different cities every year. In 2009 we did the national reunion in conjunction with the local Taney County, MO reunion. Last year we were in Sevierville, TN.

Our national reunion normally looks at Snapp properties, cemeteries, historical records and wonderful stories that have survived through time. But, every fifth year we gather just for fun and fellowship. This year we will spend time together in Williamsburg and do some local site seeing such as Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown and the first landing site. The National Snapp Reunion dates are June 10-12, 2011. Hotel information will be available after the first of the year.

I am not a descendant of Harrison "Hack" Snapp of Taney County, MO but rather from Harrison's brother, Alexander Snapp. I have personally researched 6 of Harrison's brothers, several sisters and his father, John Snapp, from Limestone, TN.

Like you, I have also been intrigued by the history of Taney County and enjoy giving "Bald Knobber Tours" whenever I get the opportunity. However, the events that happened in Taney County years ago were also happening in other places around the country as we discovered last year in Sevierville, TN. Only there, they were called "The Blue Bills" and the "White Caps". The sentiments in Taney County still run deeper than in Sevierville. I still remember the first time I saw Oak Grove School House and the pick-up truck that slowly approached me while I was taking a picture of the school. The passenger in the truck leaned out the window and shouted, "Are you a Bald Knobber or an Anti-Bald Knobber?" I swallowed hard, looked quickly around, started to run, then answered, "Yes!" Because we had family on both sides of the conflict.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 AM

380 posts, read 958,112 times
This more than two-year old thread is absolutely fascinating. Thank you to all posters.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,737 times
If you really want to find "Snapps Bald", the best place is a genuine map from as close to back in the day as you can get before everything 'historical' was erased in order to make things seem more 'politically correct.' And that would be 1906.
Most of the liberals have not yet figured out how to 'erase' historical maps, but don't count on them not figuring this out or eventually getting around to it on their 'to do' list. You can find the map at this link: [url]http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/missouri/pclmaps-topo-mo-forsyth-1906.jpg[/url]. There wasn't an exact, single 'snap bald' per say (and certainly no 'Snapps Bald' - which is a error ... it is "SNAP BALDS" I can assure you) but rather a series of knobs or balds is what we used to call some of them when they were sparse on tree cover or they had been topped by logging operations, or just because the top did not have enough soil to grow a tree due to rocky outcrops and hence they were 'bald.' Anyway, the entire hill complex of balds is one that runs as part of a much larger ridge line ESE to WNW and was/is located SW of Forsyth and E of Branson. It was accessed by driving a portion of the old 'Springfield (MO) and Harrison (AR)' Road, but that was a mouthful and some folks just called it the "Big Road" and those around Pines called it the "Wilderness Road" which would give you an idea of how remote it was back then as that section of it was dry (no water). Before pioneer times this path was called 'The Three Notch' trail because it was a well established (wide enough) Indian path marked by blazes of three notches in some of the more prominent trees. Nat Kinney owned a small stock ranch along the road, north of Kirbyville. Kinney was a personal friend of the folks who operated the Hensley Ferry that forded the White to the north, and so access to an from the area was relatively easy for him. The vigilantes that frequented this area and many areas of the neighboring counties often selected knobs for their dirty work as this was the 'high ground' and anyone approaching them to stop a lynching would have to assault a superior position. Much of the original 'big road' is lost to time, but many sections were turned into the modern roads of the area, such as the "JJ," the "J," the a small piece of the "T," and "Sunset Inn Rd." If you have a hankering to learn more about this old route you can read about it at this link: [url]https://thelibrary.org/lochist/periodicals/wrv/V33/N3/sp94g.html[/url]

Last edited by Knobberguy; 04-29-2019 at 12:52 PM..

Old 02-18-2021, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,067 times
Search google maps for 195 Kee Kee Run, Kirbyville, MO. I'd ask the house residence who owns that land before yall just start waltzing around the area. I'm from the area, Brownbranch to be exact which is northeast of kirbyville, I know the people and I wouldn't just start walking around the area before you at least introduce yourself. You might get shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri