Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:43 PM

54 posts, read 182,398 times

Advertisements

Lot of new vehicles pass inspection, The problem lies in somwhat older vehicles and people who are not car mechanics, Thats why I hope the inspection bill passes, Since there is little to no real purpose for it here in mo except to make dishonest mechanics rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 11:03 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,833 times
I wanted to add just a little more info...there is no internet site or listings in the phone book for inspection shops. The reason is so many shops come and go in the system that there would be no way to keep an accurate up to date list. As was stated earlier all inspections are done by privately owned shops. If you are anywhere near the Springfield/Nixa/Ozark area I can wholeheartedly recommend the place I went. I spoke at length to the owner, service manager and mechanic about this inspection process here in MO. Like a poster said earlier the results can be all over the map with these places. Anyhoo the place I went is called Wholesale Car Company, Tracker Rd/Hwy 160 in Nixa (just south of Springfield, and is a very clean used car sales and repair facility).... 1-888-411-8660 and an appointment is a good idea as these shops can only do one inspection every 30 minutes per mechanic...the state feels it takes 30 minutes to do a thorough inspection. I hope this helps some folks out as I was clueless when we got here and info was very scarce!

Old 03-17-2007, 09:54 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
I just moved here from California and have recently completed the process to register my vehicles. How we did it:
Overall a very easy painless way to do this type of transaction. It would have taken me forever to do this at a California DMV office!
So helpful, thanks for posting! But OMG, I didn't think we'd have to take a drivers test. *groan*

I have to disagree w/ some of you; I think having vehicle inspections is necessary. It helps to ensure a car has proper/safe braking, headlights and blinkers work, and isn't putting out high levels of emissions. It's your vehicle, but these are things that affect all of us on the road. It would be nice if Missouri had state-run, unbiased facilities to do the inspections....but then again, here in New Jersey we have state inspection sites, and the taxes here are out of control.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
So helpful, thanks for posting! But OMG, I didn't think we'd have to take a drivers test. *groan*
***Update***

The wife has just declared me retarded for some info I previously posted. You do NOT have to take a written test if you have a valid out of state drivers license! I'm sorry but I assumed you would so I had taken the online practice tests (because I have had a CDL for many years) and that's what I was thinking about. What you want to do is review the "street sign" sheet they have in the DMV office because when you take your eye exam they will ask you to identify several different signs. Also I forgot to mention to bring your SS card with you when you apply for the MO driver license.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:19 AM

54 posts, read 182,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post

I have to disagree w/ some of you; I think having vehicle inspections is necessary. It helps to ensure a car has proper/safe braking, headlights and blinkers work, and isn't putting out high levels of emissions. It's your vehicle, but these are things that affect all of us on the road. It would be nice if Missouri had state-run, unbiased facilities to do the inspections....but then again, here in New Jersey we have state inspection sites, and the taxes here are out of control.
Just FYI, We dont do emissions test, atleast not in the smaller towns here, Not 100% sure about larger citys like st louis and kc.

If we had state-run, unbiased facilities I wouldn't mind the inspection tests, Other than that, someone having a bad tailight or even a somewhat old wiper isn't going to affect any other driver on the road.

I have a friend who has a friend that contacted me today, He is a mechanic and told me that now on if I just bring over the car and hand over $20, He will pass it w/o even looking at it. So inspections arent a problem for me anymore.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:41 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
da jammer - thanks for updating! what a relief!

Old 03-17-2007, 06:51 PM

309 posts, read 1,210,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traker1001 View Post
The inspections have zero to do with accidents and it being your fault, Insurance, or personal property tax. But then again I don't see what personal property tax has to do with registration either, But thats another topic.

And alot of people still can't afford decent vehicles or insurance, Thats why they go around the law, But thats also completely off topic for this thread.

christina0001, no state-run inspection stations that I know of in missouri, Your stuck with the good ole garages unless this bill passes.
Greetings,
The whole point of proof of Insurance -- is if there was an accident your covered.

The point of Proof of Payment of Personal Property Taxes is there paid or no license plate..

Mo is not a complicated State to live in, further south of Ozark and you will find the law is primitive compared to what you know in other states.

There is several garages that do inspections, they look to see if your lights work, horn, windshield isnt cracked, exhaust is alright, windows isnt cracked, tire condition.

These garages are working for the state, they dont want to try to take you, they could get closed down for any lies, and they get a cut of the 12.00.

When you go to get things done here it most of the time takes minutes.
You love the simple life here.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:43 PM

318 posts, read 727,199 times
Da Jammer.. I too had a very easy time with our move from CA 2 years ago, but when getting our DL in MO, I being married had to have my birth and marriage certificate. Being that my birth has my maiden name and my CA license had my married name. FYI.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:49 PM

318 posts, read 727,199 times
christina1000. When I took the test for get a DL in MO, it was only a road sign test. I looked into a view finder and the lady asked me to name the signs. Quick and easy. Don't stress.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4inMO View Post
Da Jammer.. I too had a very easy time with our move from CA 2 years ago, but when getting our DL in MO, I being married had to have my birth and marriage certificate. Being that my birth has my maiden name and my CA license had my married name. FYI.
GREAT point about the marriage certificate! I forgot that my wife had to show that also. Man O man ya just can't show up with toooooo much paperwork anymore can ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri