U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:31 AM

145 posts, read 457,451 times

Advertisements

Just want to add a heads-up if you are relocating to the St. Louis area. Someone in an earlier post mentioned not being sure about emissions inspections in the big city areas. I can vouch that it IS indeed required in St. Louis area (don't know still for KC, couldn't find anything to indicate either way); I had no idea this was needed until I moved here form other parts of the state. It costs $24 (per 2 years) and can ONLY be done in the official city inspection places (not too many of these). Wherever you take your vehicle for the mechanic's inspection, they are required to send you to the nearest emissions place to get that part done before you can get your tags (thankfully, the shop we go to is very near one). The test itself doesn't take very long, but the lines can be. One cool thing is, if you have to wait more than a certain amount of time (I think like 30mn), your test fee gets discounted or waived (depending on how long)--however, this option is not valid during the last week or few days (can't recall now) because they won't reward the procrastinators (apparently lol).
I will tell you that if your vehicle has the "Check Engine" light on, it will most likely not pass emissions (this happened to my fiancé). If your car fails, you DO NOT have to pay for another inspection; you simply bring certification from the shop that you've had the work done based on the report the emissions place prints out (there is a form for the shop to fill out).
Here is a site to answer more questions about the inspection (they give you this very sheet when you get the inspection, btw):
http://www.p2pays.org/ref/16/15586.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 12:18 PM

279 posts, read 777,391 times
I for one am for the inspection as out here were I live not tell I move to Missouri there are many cars on the road that should not be (was hit with a muffler the other day) but I also wish they had them here. As so many run here on bald tiers and I mean bald even more then I am. We have smog checks here every two years and there around 50 buck 30 for the check and 20 for the paperwork for DMV. I have a 13 year old truck and I know it will pas because I do take care of it but I also know some people also living on SSI can not afford it so then there should be a way that they can get help in doing so. I do like the reg every two year thing that’s cool. And no smog checks well I like that to but I can see it changing if people do not take car of the cars as a badly running car is a dirty car believe me. At last if there is a way around any of this some will find it and it can be done even here in calif with smog checks there’s way's not easy you have to know people but it can be done. Now I know here they have privet and check only stations. I do believe yes privet inspection stations but also some that are check only and do not do any work that way less likely to say it is wrong when not. there will always be the one that sends you to Mac down the road but at lest you go a some what fighting chance because no matter what if there is a way to shaft some one you know darn well some one is doing it .

Old 05-08-2008, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 16,133 times
Default exhaust

Anyone know the exhaust requirements in MO? Like the length the system has to be?

Old 05-14-2008, 09:09 PM

542 posts, read 1,408,521 times
Husband is an auto tech and licensed to inspect cars. He says MO will never do away with this law as they like to take your money any way they can. You can take your car to any shop that has licensed inspectors. At an auto dealer you may need to make an appt. The reason for inspections is a safety issue. Brakes, lights, front end parts, safe tires (with tread). I can't imagine what would be on the road without inspections.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:16 AM

20 posts, read 69,065 times
As a former resident of Mo. and also vehicle inspector, I'd like to give my .02 cents for what it's worth. The inspections can be a unpopular for lots of reasons, but the real reason is for safe vehicles on the road. I can't count the many times I've found loose tie-rod ends, leaking exhausts, worn out brakes and other possible unsafe parts on vehicles I've checked. Most people keep there cars in good condition, others won't fix anything until it breaks.
The option to have the repair done elsewhere, or fix it your self is open. There is a time limit but no reinspection fee is charged. Safety on the road is not only driving skills but safe vehicles as well. One death or injury caused by faulty equipment is worth more than a few $ in needed repairs.
Inspectors are indeed closely monitored by the Highway Patrol inspection division and violators are punished. You are also subject to roadside inspections at any time and the vehicle could be towed if found unsafe.

I don't like laws and regulations anymore than any one else, but I believe Mo. is usually fair in their laws. Still one of the best states any where to live in!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 AM

4,679 posts, read 7,793,576 times
Currently live in a state where there are no inspections for vehicle safety... nor any kind of emissions. Sad and scary both to see what is on these roads sometimes. Granted, the state is getting some extra money, but $24 + a bit of time - that is not much of a deal, compared to air we breath and safety, IMHO. Agree with ya Basspikr...

Old 05-29-2008, 10:21 AM

71 posts, read 190,625 times
MrsMo's husband has it right, they'll probably never get rid of the safety inspection program because of all the money special interest groups make off of it. Anyone can do a google search on "vehicle safety inspections" and come up with at least half a dozen recent research studies by Poitras, Sutter, Hemenway, and others showing these programs don't do anything to decrease accidents, remove old vehicles from the road, or make us any safer. Their purpose is to collect taxes and fees, create repair opportunities for mechanics (needed or not), sell auto parts and safety inspection equipment, and keep another unneeded government bureaucracy employed. If I lived in Missouri, I'd call and email this Senator leVota (I think he is this bills sponsor), give him my support, and even donate money to his next campaign. I wish we had a Senator like him here in Utah. One time I mentioned how I hated this program to my own State Senator, and he told me, in private, "All the legislators know this program is a boondoggle, but we'll never get rid of it, because so many people make money off of it everywhere." You'll often discover the legislators that support and keep these programs going turn out to be car dealers turned politicans when you look at their "conflict of interest" disclosures.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 13,908 times
how much does an out of state vehicle inspection cost here in mo

Old 07-10-2009, 06:10 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,903,108 times
Well I remember the time before they had State Inspections.We always tried to keep the Vehicals in good order.

I know my first Inspection they wouldn't pass my Car because it didn't have Turn Signels. I tried telling the idiot I didn't need them because the Car came out of the Factory without them.Finally had to get a Guy up there from the Highway Patrol to get it passed.

Far as Drivers License when my wife drove Tractor Trailer for me in Arkansas all she had to do was take Physcical they gave her Chauffeurs License.

As far as Drivers Test being easy.The DMV made me mad one time my License expired because of them.So instead of taking the Test I drove for years without any.Then I went to get a Job,they wanted to hire me but I needed Drivers License I told them no problem I'll go take the Test.Well I didn't look at the Book failed the Written.So I just went to the next Town looked over the Book retook the Test passed.

Never worried about much I was driving Grain Truck at 14.

hillman

Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 12,340 times
If i purchase a vehical on autotrader from a another state, do i need to get an emissions test or safety inspection for missouri the car is a 1987
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri