Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 04:57 PM

54 posts, read 182,375 times

Advertisements

I know there was a proposal to eliminate the need for Vehicle inspections in missouri, Has anyone heard anything more about this, Or Know where I can find more info on this?

Last I heard was, That if it passed it would go into effect Jan of 08, But I havent heard anything more about it since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 09:28 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,378 times
I dont think that will ever pass. At least I havent heard anything about it. I dont think that they should do away with it anyway. Ifs only like 12 bucks

Old 03-15-2007, 10:27 PM

76 posts, read 394,661 times
So it is mandatory to have a vehicle inspection BEFORE you even try to register your vehicle in Missouri? Is there a form to fill out to take to a particular shop or can you go to any shop or dealership? I'm from Vegas and we don't have that law out here even though I think it would be a good idea.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
I dont think that will ever pass. At least I havent heard anything about it. I dont think that they should do away with it anyway. Ifs only like 12 bucks
Its not the $12, Its the lack of honest vehicle inspection places around here, I took my 2004 toyota corolla to a station, They failed my inspection for worn wipers and supposed broken swaybar and a small hole in the muffler and tried to get $660 from me. I told them the wipers were brand new, less than a week old, And frankly I didn't beleive them about the sway bar or muffler because the car still drives and sounds like new.

So I took my car to a second station, They passed the wipers and the sway bar, They failed me on Bad CV Joint and tried to get $330 out of me, Again I took my car and left.

The third and final station got me on...... You guessed it nothing, The passed it immediatly, I told them what the other two stations told me and they said that everything was still in Extremely good condition and that I had nothing to worry about.

So not $12 but $36 and possibly more if I didn't know better, And alot more time than I should have ever had to spend tells me that vehicle inspections are pointless money makers for the 2 in 3 dishonest inspection stations around here.

Quote:
So it is mandatory to have a vehicle inspection BEFORE you even try to register your vehicle in Missouri? Is there a form to fill out to take to a particular shop or can you go to any shop or dealership? I'm from Vegas and we don't have that law out here even though I think it would be a good idea.
Nope just look for the "Inspection station" sign at any garage.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:08 PM

309 posts, read 1,210,493 times
Cool Oh Those Inspections

Greetings,

PRAISe those inspections --- at one time it was anything goes.. for cars/trucks. Alot of this started from accidents. Not all people could afford decent vechiles and insurance.

The accidents happen and you was responsible for an accident that was your fault.

The law is to prove vechile inspection, that you paid your personal property tax and that you was insured.

Yet it so much less to pay all fee's in the state of MO>

Old 03-16-2007, 05:36 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Question Question

Does MO have its own state-run inspection stations to use? We are moving from NJ to MO...in NJ you can go to either a private station and pay money for the inspection, or you can go to a state-run station, which is free, and they will do the inspection. I'm not concerned about paying a fee; I'm concerned a dishonest mechanic will tell me something is wrong, when it's not, just so he can make some money.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
lionandlamb Said:

The accidents happen and you was responsible for an accident that was your fault.

The law is to prove vechile inspection, that you paid your personal property tax and that you was insured.

Yet it so much less to pay all fee's in the state of MO>
The inspections have zero to do with accidents and it being your fault, Insurance, or personal property tax. But then again I don't see what personal property tax has to do with registration either, But thats another topic.

And alot of people still can't afford decent vehicles or insurance, Thats why they go around the law, But thats also completely off topic for this thread.

christina0001, no state-run inspection stations that I know of in missouri, Your stuck with the good ole garages unless this bill passes.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:58 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times
I just moved here from California and have recently completed the process to register my vehicles. How we did it:

1. switched our insurance to an Allstate agent in town.

2. took our vehicles to a shop here in town for inspection. I told the folks right off the bat I know my rigs inside and out as I do all of my own work on them. I told them I am from Cali and am suspicious of EVERYONE and trust NO ONE! All three passed with no issues.

3. We went to the courthouse in Ozark and visited the Assessor's office (3rd floor) to get a waiver of personal property tax on the vehicles. If you do not live in MO on Jan 1st of the year you do not pay the personal property tax. Hint hint...move in Jan. 10th or so.

4. Went downstairs to the first floor to the Tax Collector's office to show them the waiver and get the form signed.

5. We then walked across the street to the privately owned state license bureau. Here we showed them the waiver, insurance cards and Cali registration cards. They issued new plates and MO registration documents. The way they do it in MO is if your own your vehicle outright you can register it for two years. If you have a lien on your vehicle and do not have the title, pink slip or whatever it's called in your state you can only register your vehicle for one year. You are given a form letter to send to your lienholder requesting they send the title to the state of MO. Here in MO your receive title to your vehicle even if you have a lienholder. You have one year to be sure your lienholder sends this document to the state of MO or you cannot register your vehicle the following year.

6. We handed over our Cali drivers licenses,showed our birth certificates, took a very easy written test and a quick eye exam. We then paid a small fee and had our new MO divers license in less than five minutes.

Overall a very easy painless way to do this type of transaction. It would have taken me forever to do this at a California DMV office!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:47 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
I just moved here from California and have recently completed the process to register my vehicles. How we did it:

1. switched our insurance to an Allstate agent in town.

2. took our vehicles to a shop here in town for inspection. I told the folks right off the bat I know my rigs inside and out as I do all of my own work on them. I told them I am from Cali and am suspicious of EVERYONE and trust NO ONE! All three passed with no issues.

3. We went to the courthouse in Ozark and visited the Assessor's office (3rd floor) to get a waiver of personal property tax on the vehicles. If you do not live in MO on Jan 1st of the year you do not pay the personal property tax. Hint hint...move in Jan. 10th or so.

4. Went downstairs to the first floor to the Tax Collector's office to show them the waiver and get the form signed.

5. We then walked across the street to the privately owned state license bureau. Here we showed them the waiver, insurance cards and Cali registration cards. They issued new plates and MO registration documents. The way they do it in MO is if your own your vehicle outright you can register it for two years. If you have a lien on your vehicle and do not have the title, pink slip or whatever it's called in your state you can only register your vehicle for one year. You are given a form letter to send to your lienholder requesting they send the title to the state of MO. Here in MO your receive title to your vehicle even if you have a lienholder. You have one year to be sure your lienholder sends this document to the state of MO or you cannot register your vehicle the following year.

6. We handed over our Cali drivers licenses,showed our birth certificates, took a very easy written test and a quick eye exam. We then paid a small fee and had our new MO divers license in less than five minutes.

Overall a very easy painless way to do this type of transaction. It would have taken me forever to do this at a California DMV office!
Thank you! This was very helpful and encouraging for those of us that may move to Springfield eventually.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:22 PM

76 posts, read 394,661 times
Thanks da jammer, I will probably be moving to Missouri in the next three months and this information will help me out. I don't think I will have a problem passing a vehicle inspection since my truck is brand new. (At least I better not have any issues! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri