U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:42 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,579,566 times

Advertisements

That was a derecho that caused all that damage in southern Missouri. Looked very impressive on radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:10 AM

4 posts, read 5,410 times
hope everyone's ok.we were planing a trip up there from tx.this last week in our motor home.glad we hung back till next month.although after living in mo.for 25 yrs.i do know that this could happen anytime.i pray that it does not.god bless you all.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:53 AM

25,441 posts, read 8,981,972 times
Yes, it does change drastically from hour to hour sometimes!!!
52 F
Clear
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 43 F
Wind: 4 mph from the North
Pressure: 30.16 in (Steady)

Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 AM

380 posts, read 586,417 times
Default From KUNO - West Plains Municipal Airport

Date: 10-May
Time: 08:53AM
Sky: Clear
Temp 59
Dewpoint: 44
Humidity: 58%
Pressure: 30.20

Old 05-10-2009, 09:17 AM

Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
That was a derecho that caused all that damage in southern Missouri. Looked very impressive on radar.
I disagree. I've experienced straight line winds AND tornados before.

The damage done in Pomona was definitely the result of an F3 tornado. The storm's cyclonic nature is evident from the debris field. In a derecho (from the Spanish, meaning straight) the debris field lies in one general direction - ahead of the wind's movement. In a tornado, the debris field is 360 degrees around its target with the heaviest debris at its leading edge and the lightest debris at its trailing edge.

Trees in the path of the storm are visibly twisted off with the same pattern you'd see if you took a green stick and instead of breaking it over your knee, you twisted it with your hands.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:06 AM

4,679 posts, read 7,877,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
I went down and checked on my land today...I had 50 acres with tons of oaks and pines...now about 1,000 to 1,500 are down. Every big tree was pushed over. It has totally ruined my land for a generation. I am hoping to find a logger to come in but it seems almost everyone has the same problem.
keeper of the Inox's... sorry, can't recall abouts where your land is - would you mind sharing what county, nearby town? Curious to know as what parts of MO got hit so hard by this storm. Peoples near Edgar reported highest creek levels, in many years, if not 'ever' that they'd ever seen.

Nu2pomona and others interested: Storm-tossed Missouri, Kentucky likely to get more - CNN.com and AP: Cleanup begins after Midwest storms killed 6

Old 05-10-2009, 11:55 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,579,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2pomona View Post
I disagree. I've experienced straight line winds AND tornados before.

The damage done in Pomona was definitely the result of an F3 tornado. The storm's cyclonic nature is evident from the debris field. In a derecho (from the Spanish, meaning straight) the debris field lies in one general direction - ahead of the wind's movement. In a tornado, the debris field is 360 degrees around its target with the heaviest debris at its leading edge and the lightest debris at its trailing edge.

Trees in the path of the storm are visibly twisted off with the same pattern you'd see if you took a green stick and instead of breaking it over your knee, you twisted it with your hands.
NWS Springfield MO - A Comprehensive Severe Weather Forecast Checklist and Reference Guide

The whole event from Kansas into Missouri was a derecho. Understand that there can be tornadoes in a Derecho.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/sgf/e...pomona_tor.png

Here is the tornado you mentioned. By the way since 2007 the old fugita scale is no longer used the Pomona tornado was a EF3. E means enhanced.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:20 PM

Default Strange happenings...

Visited today with Pat and Jerry C., one of the families who've lost their home. Pat, her grandchild and their beagle made it into the partial basement under the house and that is a blessing as there no longer is a house. She said the neighbor to the east is missing a car. Seems the tornado lifted it up and gifted it to someone else, location unknown.

Pat's kitchen stove wound up in the back yard, but the pots and pans that were stored in the oven and lower drawer are gone. Fortunately their home was insured and their agent has already put the claim through.

Another Pomona resident who owns about a dozen rental houses has provided living accommodations to many of the storm victims, rent free. He doesn't want anyone to know who he is and I'll respect that but am so grateful that he stepped up to the plate.

Jerry said there is a group from church already formed that is going to come over and start framing a new house for them. They have to wait for an inspection of the foundation but it looks good. In this part of the world no one waits to be asked to help, they just show up and begin.

There are 14 other families with stories just like Pat and Jerry.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:20 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,926,531 times
Have the Fan on one day,have a fire to take the chill off the next.

Our Grandkids School got blowed away in Fair Grove so they don't know if they are going to have school or not.

Our road washed had to get some rock for it I told the man at the Quarry I wanted some rock that wouldn't wash so I got some 3"+ put on it.

Still up in the air if our Granddaughter is going to see the Doctor,my Wife is going to work,or the Tire Shop,so I can get Tires is going to be open in the morning because everyone was without Electric.

hillman

Old 05-10-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Thanks for the links, ShadowCaver. Fortunately the weather held in our area yesterday and for most of today. We had some overcast and a few isolated sprinkles this afternoon (Sunday) but no more severe weather. Thank goodness the weather folks aren't always right.

It's amazing how much progress folks working with chain saws and their bare hands can make, but I think we'll be finding things in the fields and woods for years to come.

One Pomona resident threw a big barbeque today for all the folks who've lost their homes. There are some wonderful folks here. I've not heard a single "why me." The only question is "what is God's purpose, what plan does he have for us." Amazing faith, amazing grace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri