Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 02:00 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,852,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
See I have seen the opposite. Most people I have discussed this subject with and from other posts I have seen on other boards would side with STL rather than KC. We agree to disagree.
I have to agree, I think all of the "vibrancy" in Downtown KC is because of the new Power & Light district and honestly I hated Power & Light. Pretty much for the same reason I hate Westport. I would rather have a Washington Avenue, Soulard, Central West End, or The Loop any day. Independent stores with their own flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 02:54 PM

270 posts, read 652,873 times
There's no difference. Both are just plain-jane midwest cities with lots of poor people and a ruling class who keep the area from falling apart and spend inordinate amounts of time and money trying to hide from the former. Then there's the young people who move into formerly poor areas for a few years before having children and moving into the ruling class areas or get bitter because they cannot afford the price of admission for the good life.

So there you have it, that's about all there is to know.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:38 AM

886 posts, read 2,212,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
I have to agree, I think all of the "vibrancy" in Downtown KC is because of the new Power & Light district and honestly I hated Power & Light. Pretty much for the same reason I hate Westport. I would rather have a Washington Avenue, Soulard, Central West End, or The Loop any day. Independent stores with their own flavor.
Westport is full if independt stores so not sure what your talking about... P&L not so much but it has some, regardless that's not what the area is for, and you find independent stores 2 blocks away in the crossroads district

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 12-21-2009 at 01:15 PM..

Old 12-21-2009, 11:51 PM

36 posts, read 182,676 times
I honestly think that whichever choice you make, you will be happy with! Both cities have wonderful aspects to them, as well as not so good ones. STL has a better transit system (in my opinion), with more freeway lanes and a light rail system. However, their traffic seems to be much worse than Kansas city's, too. Maybe that's just my distorted perception of it all, but I make AT LEAST 5-6 trips to each city each year, and rush hour in STL always seems to have all lanes of all freeways near a dead stop, especially on I-270. That being said, Kansas City has and is making leaps and bounds as far as progress goes. I love both cities...and the reason I ranted forever about the transportation system (sorry!) is because that is one of the MOST important factors to me when moving to another metro area. But, whatever you do, I wish you good luck and much happiness!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 PM

36 posts, read 182,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
There's no difference. Both are just plain-jane midwest cities..

would you please explain what you mean by "plain jane midwest cities"?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:02 PM

486 posts, read 1,030,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
I don't get this comment at all. Have you ever been to the Crossroads area just a few blocks to the south of the P&L, or to Westport for that matter?

BTW, what high school did you go to? (hehe!)

Old 12-24-2009, 03:19 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,913,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
I don't get this comment at all. Have you ever been to the Crossroads area just a few blocks to the south of the P&L, or to Westport for that matter?

BTW, what high school did you go to? (hehe!)
Yeah about a month ago. It really wasnt special. Kind of a mish mash of an area with little activity.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:20 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,913,824 times
Referring to Crossroads btw. I liked Westport even though it too was kind of dead.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:06 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,818,667 times
The activity in the Crossroads district is very spotty. First Fridays are it's biggest event.
Westport has a bit more going on, but the P&L took some of that away.
The Country Club Plaza is the primary busy-all-the-time place in KC. It is often very crowded.
As far as downtowns go, I think KC's is mostly better, but our sports teams don't play there, and we don't have a giant boomerang in the ground to look at. Otherwise, it's nicer overall. There's a lot more to it than just the Power & Light district. There's always, always several things going on, with enough variety to suit just about anybody.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:22 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,852,297 times
I haven't been to cross roads, Westport is nothing special. I was just saying Power and Light is very gimmicky for my taste. I would take Washington Avenue, Midtown, The Loop, Soulard, South Grand, Clayton and the Central West End to anything KC has to offer. Also, the other day I was having dinner with my friends at the loop, but needed to be downtown, I jumped on the metrolink and didn't have to worry about driving or getting a cab. That is something you could not do in Kansas City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri