Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 08:22 AM

238 posts, read 623,693 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for awhile. My family and I are most likely moving to SW MO in the next few months. I'm originally from MN and my wife is from Scotland. My parents have lived in SW MO for about 10 years. We have lived in Scotland off and on for around 20. Our latest stint here has been almost eight years. All my kids naturally have very strong Scottish accents.

We absolutely love coming to SW MO on vacation, but recently have decided to make the move. However, my kids (particularly my second son, who will be starting 9th grade) are concerned about fitting in.

What do you all think about their chances of being accepted by their peers? Their accents are strong enough that some people may have difficulty understanding them at first, and of course, there will be a whole cultural shift to contend with. Of course, I'm trying to encourage them, especially my son, that many kids will think he's "cool" because of his accent, and being from another country.

Any thoughts, both positive encouragement and legitimate concerns, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by wrightclan; 03-19-2007 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 10:45 AM

339 posts, read 1,422,684 times
I think he'll be the cool kid from Scotland.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:01 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,625,579 times
Well I can give you our experience. We moved from southern California to Nixa, MO (just south of Springfield) back in November. Our 14 year old daughter (eighth grader) was brought up in private schools most of her life so we had some concerns also. The last school she was in, her aunt was the principal, my wife worked in the office and the class size averaged 15 kids. As you can see nothing like public school. We were concerned there would be some sort of backlash towards her by many kids because of the (generally unfounded) reputation of California people. The first day of school she came home in tears which is very odd because she rarely cries about anything. It was overwhelming for her as she was not used to so many kids in the hallways, dealing with a locker and just finding her way around such a big (for her) school. The school assigned a volunteer student to hang out with our daughter which was nice and it gave her a chance to "learn" the ins and outs of the place. Within a few days she settled right in and started making friends. The kids have been great to her, very nice and polite and she really enjoys going to school. You have to realize that this area is growing with folks moving in from all over the place so new students are an every day occurrence. We encouraged our daughter to just be herself and all will be fine and it seems to be working great. I think your children will really enjoy going to school here and will be able to make friends and fit in quickly. Just my two cents on the subject!

Old 03-19-2007, 11:43 AM

238 posts, read 623,693 times
Thanks for the encouraging replies so far.

Ozarks21,

That's what I thought. Unfortunately he's had a bad experience in that, when we first moved here, he was the "cool" kid from America. Then a few months later, he moved to a new school and was bullied (violently so) for being the kid from America. Now, when he's at ease in school after all these years, he's being asked to move again. I still think your assessment is right, I just have to convince a 13 year old of that.

BTW, I noticed on your profile that you're a woodworker. So am I, and my Dad is as well.

da Jammer,

Thanks for sharing your experience. My folks live in Nixa, and we're hoping to live in or near Nixa. My son and your daughter may be classmates next year.

Last edited by wrightclan; 03-19-2007 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-19-2007, 02:33 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,973,751 times
The kids will think he's exotic, maybe think his accent means he's supposed to be smarter (you know how kids are). I hope your American way of speaking as watered down any thick Scottish accent though. Scots can sound like a foreign language and isn't easily understood at times. Hopefully he's not so thickly accented that they won't understand him, but a noticeable accent shouldn't be a problem.
I doubt they'd rough him up, but he'll be a curiosity for awhile. I think that will pass quickly and they'll accept him as he is.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:58 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,625,579 times
I noticed they do run "anti-bullying" spots on the local TV channels. I just asked my daughter if she sees any of this type of thing at school and she said no...nothing more than the usual kids goofing around stuff. We just went to a freshman orientation at Nixa high and it is one mighty fine looking school....my little girl is really looking forward to going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri