U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:40 PM

10,115 posts, read 3,373,022 times

Advertisements

I think the biggest mistake people make when relocating ANYWHERE is falling in love with the landscape without knowing anything about the people who live there. If you don't like the culture, you're going to be miserable. My family is all from rural MO, I was born in MO, left as a small child but spent every summer there with grandparents, and came back to live in a very rural area of the state with my family for another 10 years--my children were born there. We're what I would describe as moderately liberal professionals, but I was a stay at home mom at that point. We loved it, BUT my husband is a farm boy, and I grew up in a tiny town. We're both outgoing people who can fit in just about anywhere, we know when to keep our mouths shut, we're hard workers, and we got involved in our church, school and community from day one. It still took about three years for us to feel like a real part of the community, but we made friends (with LOCAL people) that will last a lifetime. We were NOT the only democrats in the community, but we were definitely in a very small minority. We didn't make a big deal of it. We're moving back to another part of Missouri this year. My husband will be working in Jefferson City, but we'll be picking another small town in the area--this time we're keeping closer to Boone County because of our teens--I think they would have a harder time adjusting to a much more isolated area than we would, plus I'm heading back to work at least part-time, and I'm concerned about employment options.

I don't understand the comment about "Ozark time." Most of the people I know from there work their backsides off--they have to, to make it. When your contractor didn't show up for a few days, it may well have been that another customer had an emergency, or that there was some type of family emergency--it doesn't necessarily mean the fishing was good. One thing I like about small rural towns is that most of the people aren't just centered on themselves--they understand that you have to be willing to give, to get.

My advice to anyone considering a relocation (we've done it 5 times in 20 years) is to really spend time in an area, and try to understand a little about the people. Ask questions, spend considerable time visiting, and plan on renting the first year until you decide to buy. If you want to make things much easier, another consideration might be trying to find a community (like a college town) that is a little more used to newcomers. Rural Missouri is absolutely beautiful, but it may not be for everyone. I love it there, but I know others who hate it. Do your homework.

Last edited by mb1547; 09-05-2010 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 03:22 PM

One last comment--no matter how long you live in a small, relatively isolated town, if you weren't born there, you'll always be somewhat of an outsider. My mom married my dad, and moved up to his tiny little home town in a midwestern state with him--she lived there for 40 years, but she was always the gal from Missouri who married my dad. She had a million friends, but she was never completely "local." I think the trick is to carve a niche for yourself, and to enjoy the positives vs. focusing on the negatives. It's all about attitude. If you decide you're not going to like it, then you won't. Rather than trying trying to change things, just embrace what's there...

Last edited by mb1547; 09-05-2010 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-05-2010, 06:48 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,843,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
One last comment--no matter how long you live in a small, relatively isolated town, if you weren't born there, you'll always be somewhat of an outsider. My mom married my dad, and moved up to his tiny little home town in a midwestern state with him--she lived there for 40 years, but she was always the gal from Missouri who married my dad. She had a million friends, but she was never completely "local." I think the trick is to carve a niche for yourself, and to enjoy the positives vs. focusing on the negatives. It's all about attitude. If you decide you're not going to like it, then you won't. Rather than trying trying to change things, just embrace what's there...
You made some really good points, and I like the fact that you have a perspective both as a local, and as transplant, and have insights through your Mother's experiences, as well. Raising my glass to you, Cheers! Hope you find happiness in your new home.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
You made some really good points, and I like the fact that you have a perspective both as a local, and as transplant, and have insights through your Mother's experiences, as well. Raising my glass to you, Cheers! Hope you find happiness in your new home.
Thanks! We were really hoping to avoid moving our children at this point in their lives, but in this job market, sometimes you don't have a choice. No matter what, we'll make the best of it and enjoy our new home and community We're an outdoorsy family--Missouri has lots to offer.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,494 times
I'm looking to relocate in licking county, I'm single 36, kids grown and want some peace how far do you have to go to get gainful employment?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 PM

23,443 posts, read 18,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyteston View Post
I'm looking to relocate in licking county, I'm single 36, kids grown and want some peace how far do you have to go to get gainful employment?
Um, do you mean the town of Licking, in Texas County?
There is no Licking County in Missouri.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,198 times
My goodness, I see here we are at a point where an outsider would like to join in by simply saying.
I just retired May 31, 2011. I have a fourteen year old daughter. (I know kind of old to be raising a kid Right)
Well, the whole reason I am moving to MO. are for three good reason and yes I have done some serious research.
1. My oldest daughter and family live in Mo. and I choose to be closer to my family now.
2. I want a better education for my fourteen year old, better than Texas can offer her. (even though she is bi-lingua) She needs better.
3. I have lived in most every state in the United States. Being a military brat and in the military for several years. So I am very well versed in many differences.

I simply choose Missouri because I am comfortable there. I hope to make small contributions in some way and not just take form her.

My passion has always been in the mountains of Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Organ even yes Seattle Washington. Rain and all.

I find my peace in the rolling hills of Missouri, I know I will have some harsh winter to deal with, Rain in the spring, possible tornados, ok so what is new? I can always find a farmers market, along the highways, that is half the fun.

I find all parties here very helpful and enlightened with their outlook and information they are trying to project. To you all, Thank you for your endeavors.
Respectfully,
Leaving Texas after a 15 year hitch because I was transferred. (you know how jobs can be)

Does this sound regretful? Trust me it is not.
I have met wonderful people her and have added another notch in my belt. I can honestly say I have lived in 42 of our wonderful states and never regretted a one.
Each has been an experience I am truly grateful for.I have been blessed with many wonderful people and friend that I have across our beautiful Country.

The Wander from town to town.
To wander no more.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,390,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander from town to town View Post
My goodness, I see here we are at a point where an outsider would like to join in by simply saying.
I just retired May 31, 2011. I have a fourteen year old daughter. (I know kind of old to be raising a kid Right)
Well, the whole reason I am moving to MO. are for three good reason and yes I have done some serious research.
1. My oldest daughter and family live in Mo. and I choose to be closer to my family now.
2. I want a better education for my fourteen year old, better than Texas can offer her. (even though she is bi-lingua) She needs better.
3. I have lived in most every state in the United States. Being a military brat and in the military for several years. So I am very well versed in many differences.

I simply choose Missouri because I am comfortable there. I hope to make small contributions in some way and not just take form her.

My passion has always been in the mountains of Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Organ even yes Seattle Washington. Rain and all.

I find my peace in the rolling hills of Missouri, I know I will have some harsh winter to deal with, Rain in the spring, possible tornados, ok so what is new? I can always find a farmers market, along the highways, that is half the fun.

I find all parties here very helpful and enlightened with their outlook and information they are trying to project. To you all, Thank you for your endeavors.
Respectfully,
Leaving Texas after a 15 year hitch because I was transferred. (you know how jobs can be)

Does this sound regretful? Trust me it is not.
I have met wonderful people her and have added another notch in my belt. I can honestly say I have lived in 42 of our wonderful states and never regretted a one.
Each has been an experience I am truly grateful for.I have been blessed with many wonderful people and friend that I have across our beautiful Country.

The Wander from town to town.
To wander no more.
Your the type of person Missourians would welcome. Our forum is considered to be one of the "least accepting" of outsiders I would say, mainly because the people who ask about moving here usually proceed to list what they will and won't tolerate (Like we're going to change for some Califoreigners anyway). You seem to be able to accept just about any state & it's culture so I'm sure you'll do fine.

Last edited by GunnerTHB; 06-05-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 02:48 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,390,545 times
It doesn't matter how many times you visit rural Missouri or how much research you do, your going to be surprised about something (good or bad). The different regions of Missouri have different things to offer, as well (It ain't all hill country, trust me). I have no sympathy for people who don't do their research and move here and complain that the bootheel feels like the wild wild west with all the crime, or that they can't get enough exposure to the outside world in the southern Ozarks, etc....

Old 07-16-2011, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,039 times
I recently moved to Columbia, Mo due to a life-changing situation and am staying with a relative. The relative turns out to have emotional and substance-abuse issues, so I need to move out asap. I am a stable woman with limited but good work history (housewife most my life) and am looking for work, also.
One of my children has generously offered to pay for a room or apt. so I can leave my relative's home quickly. I found some inexpensive over-55 apts. in Jefferson City, MO. and am now researching that city.
I'm from a big East Coast city but could not afford to live there after this spring. I liked the amenties and bustle there, but am comfortable with "country or heartland culture"....as long as there is a pub open at night and some art and a library. I will have an old car but need a bus as a back up.
Well-educated, I would be willing to work at Walmart to avoid welfare.

Questions:
Does anyone know about the over-55 apts. in Jeff City? Nice or bleak?
How is the bus service? In Columbia it seems to run too infrequently and does not go everywhere I need to go.
How do jobs (reception, cust service, nanny, retail) compare to Columbia?
I am Catholic and enjoy church; is it too clannish in Jeff City, or if I "prove" myself over time, can I sort of fit in to the family world of Jeff City? I really respect people's wariness of newcomers; it means they are probably trustworthy. I'll always be a fish out of water away from home, but I like people and have a good attitude.
Thank you for any perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri