Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:23 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yup. I'm sure it can be culture shock for people coming to Missouri and not realizing what they are getting into. I was born in Missouri and raised in Kansas/Missouri my whole life, but in the Kansas City area, and the different feel of southern Missouri is something I have wrestled with all my life -wanting to embrace it, but finding it difficult to do so. I guess they ruined me/citified me by raising me in Kansas City, and even worse - Johnson County!
It sounds like you know the answer: Live in Kansas City, visit the Ozarks a couple of times a year.

You are obviously a city person who would never be happy with the "simple" life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:34 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
It sounds like you know the answer: Live in Kansas City, visit the Ozarks a couple of times a year.

You are obviously a city person who would never be happy with the "simple" life.
Yeah, like I said I've struggled with that my whole life. My parents grew up with and loved the simple life, but raised me in Kansas City (from age 6 or 7 on), so that's what I came to love. Then they got out of Kansas City as soon as they were able to and bought 80 acres and retired to the Ozarks and the simple life.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:27 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yeah, like I said I've struggled with that my whole life. My parents grew up with and loved the simple life, but raised me in Kansas City (from age 6 or 7 on), so that's what I came to love. Then they got out of Kansas City as soon as they were able to and bought 80 acres and retired to the Ozarks and the simple life.
Very honest answer and I respect your decision. If more people took the time to 'struggle with the decision', less people would make moves they learn to regret.

I am personally a country boy, but I am a firm believer that city life is wonderful and I really wish more people would come to appreciate it as you have. My motive is selfish, I admit it. Country life is getting a little crowded these days as more and more people choice to escape to the simple life. Can't blame them, but that 'elbow room' is disappearing quick.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Country life is getting a little crowded these days as more and more people choice to escape to the simple life. Can't blame them, but that 'elbow room' is disappearing quick.
Got to a place that sells magazines and notice the number of farming, hobby farming, back to the land, country living, rural life magazines. I noticed Lowe's today had a magazine rack with about four such magazines, besides the old faithful, Mother Earth News.

I remember the same thing happened back in the 70s when we had high inflation and high fuel prices. Prepare for an onslaught of city slickers moving to the country and small towns for the next 10 years of bad economy.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:59 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Glad we grabbed our little piece of the Ozarks before the onslaught.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,651,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Glad we grabbed our little piece of the Ozarks before the onslaught.
Awww don't worry, Washington is trying to make it impossible to retire...

Old 08-09-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Awww don't worry, Washington is trying to make it impossible to retire...
...and doin' a fine job of it, I must say!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:41 AM

9 posts, read 11,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Good attitude. If you're coming to Rolla, you'll fit in fine. Rolla is full of transplants. Lots of them are snooty. They are associated with the University or Brewer Science. They generally leave Rolla to go shopping in St. Louis every Saturday. They participate in local activities if they get attention for doing it. With a few exceptions, they look down their noses at the rest of us.
Others are not snooty. They work hard to be regular folks. You sound like one of them.

Thanks! I don't care much for snooty people, having had my fill of them living out here. There's only one store that I will miss, Sam's Club, but I can easily learn to live without it. Hard work is not a foreign concept for our family, so I'm sure we'll be too busy to even know that there are snooty people around.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,222 times
Interesting thread....

My personal experience is that moving to this particular part of MO was like going back in time. My "town", which I don't actually live in, has a bar, a funeral home, and a post office. The whole county has fewer people in it than where I grew up. "Traffic" is having another car on the road. The topography is identical to where I grew up, minus all the housing developments and pavement.

I have to admit...I didn't really know what a bug was or what rocky soil was until I moved here. I thought I did, but I was wrong. Chickens and raised beds solved that problem though. On the other hand, I never understood the appeal of birdwatching until I moved here either. Cardinals and bluebirds and indigo buntings, oh and yellow finches and downy wood peckers and Red headed woodpeckers and, and, and.....wild turkeys and even a road runner on the picnic table one year. Fireflies are COOL!

On the flip side, people in MO don't really know what a pothole is, or traffic....not even in St. Louis. Kansas City is close, but still has a ways to go. My dirt road is better maintained than some of the highways where I grew up.

The one thing I am surprised no one has mentioned is guns. Gun shot noise is part of life here. Most people I know have them and use them, some for home defense, some for stocking the freezer for the year, some for stray dogs etc. It gets kinda loud here in October/November, peace and quiet it ain't. (Yeah... ain't and Missourah are spoken here.)

I bring it up because I know of someone who left the state because the guns freaked her out. Me, I went through about 3-6 months of culture shock initially trying to get my bearings. I never occurred to me that trash removal was an optional service....and might not be available. There is only one option for land line phone service and DSL isn't available. Gosh, some friends of mine closer to the lake only had a party line available when they first moved here. (Oh, they are both natives, but from a different county an hour away...so aren't "local"...and will never be employed at the courthouse or other entrenched businesses.)

I have some wonderful friends here...mostly older ladies. If I need something done, I call one of them. I can't use the phone book, no one advertises in it locally. My A/C went out during one of our heat waves. The older gentleman (referred by my friend, who was also his next door neighbor) came out at 10:00 that same night to see if he could fix it. He said he liked working when it was cooler. He didn't have the part, but came back the next day and fixed it, along with teaching me all about how to care and maintain it so it will last forever. Conservation and environmentalism have a totally different meaning here in the Ozarks. Most farmers around here have been "green" their whole lives.

The produce selection is pathetic here, but I have learned that it's because people grow their own or buy from local market gardeners. They don't even sell avocados most of the time....you have to go to the suburbs for that. I grow my own meat, milk, fruit etc. This was a bad year, the only thing that produced was the pears...and the chickens ate them.

The only thing I really miss is good Mexican food. They don't do "spicy" here, chinese food leans towards the "gravy" side. I had a friend who used to live near Tulsa and I would visit her and indulge in a real gordita or ceviche with some horchata. I have learn to do my own Thai food.

When I moved here, I wanted to be close to an airport...so I could visit if I got homesick. I have never been back and have zero desire to return. This is home. I have a conervative nature, I like to watch grass grow. I hated "THE CITY", though my siblings seem to thrive there. The youngest thinks I am deprived because there is no opera here. I never went to the opera by choice when I had it availble.

We spit watermelon seeds at the chickens for entertainment. It's a hoot.

I would highly recommend this place for retirement or non location dependant employment, I would get the job FIRST, if that is a hinge.

I could do without the snakes....and the coyotes can be obnoxious at night, but at least there's no bears here....yet.

-Jenn
P.S. Mowing is NOT optional here.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn SW MO View Post
Interesting thread....

My personal experience is that moving to this particular part of MO was like going back in time. My "town", which I don't actually live in, has a bar, a funeral home, and a post office. The whole county has fewer people in it than where I grew up. "Traffic" is having another car on the road. The topography is identical to where I grew up, minus all the housing developments and pavement.

I have to admit...I didn't really know what a bug was or what rocky soil was until I moved here. I thought I did, but I was wrong. Chickens and raised beds solved that problem though. On the other hand, I never understood the appeal of birdwatching until I moved here either. Cardinals and bluebirds and indigo buntings, oh and yellow finches and downy wood peckers and Red headed woodpeckers and, and, and.....wild turkeys and even a road runner on the picnic table one year. Fireflies are COOL!

On the flip side, people in MO don't really know what a pothole is, or traffic....not even in St. Louis. Kansas City is close, but still has a ways to go. My dirt road is better maintained than some of the highways where I grew up.

The one thing I am surprised no one has mentioned is guns. Gun shot noise is part of life here. Most people I know have them and use them, some for home defense, some for stocking the freezer for the year, some for stray dogs etc. It gets kinda loud here in October/November, peace and quiet it ain't. (Yeah... ain't and Missourah are spoken here.)

I bring it up because I know of someone who left the state because the guns freaked her out. Me, I went through about 3-6 months of culture shock initially trying to get my bearings. I never occurred to me that trash removal was an optional service....and might not be available. There is only one option for land line phone service and DSL isn't available. Gosh, some friends of mine closer to the lake only had a party line available when they first moved here. (Oh, they are both natives, but from a different county an hour away...so aren't "local"...and will never be employed at the courthouse or other entrenched businesses.)

I have some wonderful friends here...mostly older ladies. If I need something done, I call one of them. I can't use the phone book, no one advertises in it locally. My A/C went out during one of our heat waves. The older gentleman (referred by my friend, who was also his next door neighbor) came out at 10:00 that same night to see if he could fix it. He said he liked working when it was cooler. He didn't have the part, but came back the next day and fixed it, along with teaching me all about how to care and maintain it so it will last forever. Conservation and environmentalism have a totally different meaning here in the Ozarks. Most farmers around here have been "green" their whole lives.

The produce selection is pathetic here, but I have learned that it's because people grow their own or buy from local market gardeners. They don't even sell avocados most of the time....you have to go to the suburbs for that. I grow my own meat, milk, fruit etc. This was a bad year, the only thing that produced was the pears...and the chickens ate them.

The only thing I really miss is good Mexican food. They don't do "spicy" here, chinese food leans towards the "gravy" side. I had a friend who used to live near Tulsa and I would visit her and indulge in a real gordita or ceviche with some horchata. I have learn to do my own Thai food.

When I moved here, I wanted to be close to an airport...so I could visit if I got homesick. I have never been back and have zero desire to return. This is home. I have a conervative nature, I like to watch grass grow. I hated "THE CITY", though my siblings seem to thrive there. The youngest thinks I am deprived because there is no opera here. I never went to the opera by choice when I had it availble.

We spit watermelon seeds at the chickens for entertainment. It's a hoot.

I would highly recommend this place for retirement or non location dependant employment, I would get the job FIRST, if that is a hinge.

I could do without the snakes....and the coyotes can be obnoxious at night, but at least there's no bears here....yet.

-Jenn
P.S. Mowing is NOT optional here.
Everything we love about it - especially the "back to the future" aspects of arrested development - gun shots and all 'cause we know it's not drive-bys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri