U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-15-2009, 11:29 AM

710 posts, read 765,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
It is and always will be Missouree. There is no 'uh' at the end. And just how do you pronounce: Arkansas? Ar kan sas? Nope, it be Ar kan saw. Don't y'all just love names???
I always say 'Arkansas' with the emphasis on the second syllable, but then I have been known to say 'Missouri' with the emphasis on the first.

I am around statewide politicians on occasion for my job, and note with amusement (as I note most other things in this sometimes-depressing world) that their pronunciation of our state name trends towards "mizzou-uh," a. the closer to election it gets, and b. the closer they are to a live microphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-15-2009, 11:47 AM

5,740 posts, read 5,484,019 times
I have heard people say Mizzourah and it makes me want to punch them in the face repeatedly.

Unread 04-15-2009, 12:10 PM

12,062 posts, read 16,936,541 times
When Jim Talent was running for senate I heard two different versions of a radio campaign ad -- in the one that ran in St. Louis he said Missour-ee; in the one that ran down by the Lake of the Ozarks he said Missour-ah.

That's nothing on Talent by the way -- I wouldn't be at all surprised to see any politician do that.

Unread 04-17-2009, 07:48 AM

414 posts, read 687,783 times
Phooey, I've heard it pronounced both way. Sort of a tomaato/tomahto sort of thing. Has nothing to do with illiteracy either.

Unread 04-17-2009, 07:51 PM

443 posts, read 744,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I have heard people say Mizzourah and it makes me want to punch them in the face repeatedly.
thats funny. I was thinking the same thing. Everytime I heard Blunt say mizzouraa, I just wanted to kick him in the throat. And he's from Springfield. I never heard anybody from southwest mo say mizzoura.

Unread 04-17-2009, 08:11 PM

23,453 posts, read 15,782,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
thats funny. I was thinking the same thing. Everytime I heard Blunt say mizzouraa, I just wanted to kick him in the throat. And he's from Springfield. I never heard anybody from southwest mo say mizzoura.
LOL, I dont even live in my beloved Missouri right now, and I want to do the same thing!

Unread 04-17-2009, 08:21 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,374,068 times
When I was a kid in school, we sang,

"Way down in Miz-zou-ree,
where I heard this mel-o-dee.
When I was a pick-a-ninny on my mammy's knee.
Modcut- inappropriate
Their banjos were strumming
So sweet and low.

That was in Greene county, where we pronounced it with an eeee ending.
The only problem with that is unhappy people corrupt it to Misery, but they all need to leave the state anyway.
That's plain talk. I do not apologize.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-21-2009 at 06:54 PM..

Unread 04-17-2009, 08:24 PM

ozarskboy, I was beginning to think you were a not-so-urban legend! Nice to hear from you!

Unread 04-17-2009, 08:45 PM

443 posts, read 744,817 times
I have farmed my whole life in this state. There are alot of things that make Missouri "Misery". $9 milk, feedin hay in August, 98 degrees and a 1000 small squares on the ground, or worse, the last 100 in the field and it starts to rain! (Good lord, I love my round bailer). Then there is ticks, seed ticks, chiggers and poison evy.
That's not plain talk, thats the truth.

Unread 04-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
I have farmed my whole life in this state. There are alot of things that make Missouri "Misery". $9 milk, feedin hay in August, 98 degrees and a 1000 small squares on the ground, or worse, the last 100 in the field and it starts to rain! (Good lord, I love my round bailer). Then there is ticks, seed ticks, chiggers and poison evy.
That's not plain talk, thats the truth.
OMG, I would gladly trade your " Misery" for mine! I wanna come home to Misery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri