U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-02-2009, 11:26 AM

19,242 posts, read 16,600,198 times

Advertisements

That's not as trite a question as it seems. If I didn't know better I would swear that cars sold or brought into California don't have turn indicators. I must have gotten one that slipped through unnoticed because mine does. I actually use them.

I think California drivers are just generally bad and inconsiderate and they don't know how to drive in anything but fair weather. But the lack of signalling drives me up the wall. I also happen to live in a city known for red light runners and had a car totaled because of it.

Given some narrow roads, farm implements on them during certain seasons and some fairly diverse weather conditions, to include ice and snow, anyone care to comment overall on how people in MO drive? We'll be there for several weeks early next month looking for a house so it would be nice to know in advance if there's anything in particular we should keep on the look-out for.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:37 AM

938 posts, read 2,300,088 times
In rural Missouri, people generally drive quite slow, and usually on the courteous side. Probably the most frustrating part of driving in rural Missouri is sometimes getting stuck behind a cattle trailer or other slow-moving vehicle for a few miles, and having to drive 15 mph under the speed limit.

In the urban areas you'll find aggressive drivers for sure, but even in St. Louis the drivers generally seem much more courteous than they do here in Austin. Last time I was driving in St. Louis, I was passed by a huge SUV going maybe 65 in a lane that was at least half smooth ice , but other than that most people seemed to drive fine in the crappy weather (around 18 degrees, snowing, with a coat of ice over most of the roads)

The bottom line is you'll find idiot drivers everywhere, and Missouri is no exception. However, I think in general the drivers aren't that aggressive, and usually know how to handle ice/snow, because the entire state gets at least a little bit of it every year. The transportation system is also pretty well developed, compared to many areas, which makes the traffic lighter and reduces aggressive driving tendencies.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:08 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,801,189 times
Oh I could complain a LOT about the drivers here in CA!

As far as Missouri, the only thing I noticed in my fairly rural neck of the woods was people crossing the center lines on the two way roads.

We did have amish with horse drawn wagons and tractors on the rural roads to look out for and people to me drive FAST on the highway but it wasn't bad.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:53 PM

246 posts, read 404,320 times
MY one complaint about Missouri drivers is their need
to ride your bumper. Oh they're not nasty about it or
anything, and it doesn't matter what speed limit
you are going either. They just stay right smack
behind you the entire time. Turn signals? Yes for
the most part, they have too or else you'd get
rear ended all the time! When I had out of state
license plates, I would brake slightly at curves and that
would slow the cars behind me up - "Oh she's from out
of state we must give her room." But it's just the
constant 'on your butt' driving that drives me nutso!
WAY too close in the event of having to suddenly brake
or make a sudden turn.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:09 AM

23,443 posts, read 18,007,197 times
watch out for the Illinois drivers!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:59 AM

4,679 posts, read 7,875,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
watch out for the Illinois drivers!
lol, I terribly dislike stereotyping, or painting a group of people w/ a broad brush,,, but good grief, there is much truth to that statement I don't know if its the water, their training [or lack thereof ], or what, but too often if you see IL [or for that matter OH] plates, be wary, very very wary... Will say, again for the most part, IN and MO drivers are quite similar, with many OH and IL drivers likewise of the same mannerisms. Exceptions to every rule, but...

As to MO drivers, pfffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttt... we are perfect!

Old 05-03-2009, 12:47 PM

19,242 posts, read 16,600,198 times
Thumbs up OK then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
As to MO drivers, pfffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttt... we are perfect!
Good to know.

Memo to Self: Watch out fer drivin' furiners; especially califuriners!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri