Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:39 PM

86 posts, read 166,350 times

Advertisements

Telephone what Southern town did you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 04:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,904,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
recreational resources for over-50s--
Fifty Plus Program
(click on Osher link too to see U of Missouri stuff)
Columbia Area Senior Center

dunno about affordable housing for seniors.

"mass transit" exists and I am told by those who use it that it is better than I thought it was (which was pretty abysmal)-- but candidly, this is a moderately-sized midwestern town (pop around 100k now) that isn't going to have the infrastructure for a really good mass transit system. There's special transit facilities for disabled people through the city-- dunno if that would apply to you or not. Go back to the gocolumbiamo site (my first link), click "transportation" on the left-side links, and do some exploring, particualrly under "bus services."
Thanks for the info! I hear that Columbia has really changed in the last 20 years, wondering how. If you're not connected to the U, is there another kind of life there? If being close to town (walkable to downtown) is an interest, what streets/neighborhoods are still safe? My kids attended Grant School, what is that neighborhood like now?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:45 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,521,094 times
MU dominates Columbia the way that UI dominates Iowa City and KU dominates Lawrence, but paradoxically perhaps, the very size of MU and the people it attracts means that its a more cosmopolitan, sophisticated place than most cities its size. I love classical music and while MU's concert series will bring in 4-6 high-level performing ensembles or solo performers per year, another couple will come through that have no or little connection to the university. There's more people interested in more things-- more Eastern religions, more alternative forms of physical activity (I like to fence, i.e., with swords, for instance), the eating scene has developed to where Columbia has become a foodie destination for people in St. Louis (both the Post-Dispatch and Riverfront Times write regularly on interesting Columbia restaurants like Sycamore and Bleu). There's a pretty active art scene and live music scene as well-- nothing like Austin, of course (where I lived before), but it's lively in its own way. None of that would have happened but for MU's presence, but it's happening independently of MU. Also, politics are very diverse and sometimes abrasive, but with a liberal overlay that is unique in Missouri.

I didn't live here 20 years ago but my wife did, and she says the change is primarily in that then, Columbia was basically a small town with a biggish university plopped down into it, where the students came for their 4 years and left, and there was a small knot of townies who thought of the town as their own, and loved it when the students left in May. Now, it's about as active in summer as it is the rest of the year, lots of students choose to stay here after they graduate, and they're having more of a say in how the town works and how it's run.

We live a block away from Grant. If you live on the south side of Broadway, there's no problems in terms of community...but housing prices on this side have gone up pretty dramatically. Most of this is "Old Southwest," where many people want to live. Even the older, typically more run-down bungalows along Garth between Broadway and Stewart are being spruced up and their values are rising quite a bit. The other side of Broadway is a lot more iffy-- there are a lot of good people over there but it's also the major area for crime, many more people rent instead of own. Grant is a great school, though, because there's so many MU faculty and staff who send their kids there, and there's a real international atmosphere to the place-- not least of which is the Sanskrit greeting over the front door. Lots of younger faculty live on the other side of MU on the east side-- it's going to vary a lot from street to street which are good and which are iffy neighborhoods. You want to stay away from big gathering points for undergrad students.

Living a block from Grant means we live close to the public library, which is another example of how MU's presence creates a synergy that goes well beyond campus. People here want, even demand, a good public library. I've lived in many places where the library languished. That's definitely not the case here. The library is great, it hosts functions every night that keep its parking lots full, and I'm always impressed that they seem to have a number of the books I want to read. I never was much of a library person before I moved here, and I am an avid reader.

We walk downtown regularly. Downtown is evolving as well. Columbia traditionally was the market town for the farmers and small towns in a 30-50 mile radius, and until Columbia Mall was built, downtown took on that function. Now, there are fewer old-time stores downtown (like clothing stores) and more stores catering to the students, but many of those are interesting stores for us old people. There's a very nice walkability to downtown, several good coffeehouses, an excellent and slightly weird ice cream place (whose name escapes me), and three of the more interesting places in town-- Ragtag Cinema (foreign and indie movies), 9th St. Video (foreign and indie video rentals), and Uprise Bakery and Coffee, all occupy the same building. Like any college town, it's got transients in the downtown area-- I think it's the price you pay for attracting young people. There are lots of bars for young people, but we (we're in our 50s) also frequent a number of places, like Lakota and Uprise for coffee and pastries, Sycamore and Bleu for good food, and Flat branch Pub (it's got some new competition, haven't tried it yet) for a beer/pub/pub food thing.

The trails, esp. the MKT trail from downtown out to the Katy Trail, are also hugely popular with both walkers, joggers, and bicyclists, and are beautiful year-round.

Your best bet to find out about safe neighborhoods (there are simply too many to go through and anything I could tell you would be anecdotal and incomplete) is to go to the city's website, gocolumbiamo.com, and you should find crime statistics maps and such there.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 PM

14 posts, read 34,484 times
Default Thanks Cyrano!

Very helpful post for anyone considering Columbia! Thanks Cyrano!!

Old 10-31-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
MU dominates Columbia the way that UI dominates Iowa City and KU dominates Lawrence, but paradoxically perhaps, the very size of MU and the people it attracts means that its a more cosmopolitan, sophisticated place than most cities its size. I love classical music and while MU's concert series will bring in 4-6 high-level performing ensembles or solo performers per year, another couple will come through that have no or little connection to the university. There's more people interested in more things-- more Eastern religions, more alternative forms of physical activity (I like to fence, i.e., with swords, for instance), the eating scene has developed to where Columbia has become a foodie destination for people in St. Louis (both the Post-Dispatch and Riverfront Times write regularly on interesting Columbia restaurants like Sycamore and Bleu). There's a pretty active art scene and live music scene as well-- nothing like Austin, of course (where I lived before), but it's lively in its own way. None of that would have happened but for MU's presence, but it's happening independently of MU. Also, politics are very diverse and sometimes abrasive, but with a liberal overlay that is unique in Missouri.

I didn't live here 20 years ago but my wife did, and she says the change is primarily in that then, Columbia was basically a small town with a biggish university plopped down into it, where the students came for their 4 years and left, and there was a small knot of townies who thought of the town as their own, and loved it when the students left in May. Now, it's about as active in summer as it is the rest of the year, lots of students choose to stay here after they graduate, and they're having more of a say in how the town works and how it's run.

We live a block away from Grant. If you live on the south side of Broadway, there's no problems in terms of community...but housing prices on this side have gone up pretty dramatically. Most of this is "Old Southwest," where many people want to live. Even the older, typically more run-down bungalows along Garth between Broadway and Stewart are being spruced up and their values are rising quite a bit. The other side of Broadway is a lot more iffy-- there are a lot of good people over there but it's also the major area for crime, many more people rent instead of own. Grant is a great school, though, because there's so many MU faculty and staff who send their kids there, and there's a real international atmosphere to the place-- not least of which is the Sanskrit greeting over the front door. Lots of younger faculty live on the other side of MU on the east side-- it's going to vary a lot from street to street which are good and which are iffy neighborhoods. You want to stay away from big gathering points for undergrad students.

Living a block from Grant means we live close to the public library, which is another example of how MU's presence creates a synergy that goes well beyond campus. People here want, even demand, a good public library. I've lived in many places where the library languished. That's definitely not the case here. The library is great, it hosts functions every night that keep its parking lots full, and I'm always impressed that they seem to have a number of the books I want to read. I never was much of a library person before I moved here, and I am an avid reader.

We walk downtown regularly. Downtown is evolving as well. Columbia traditionally was the market town for the farmers and small towns in a 30-50 mile radius, and until Columbia Mall was built, downtown took on that function. Now, there are fewer old-time stores downtown (like clothing stores) and more stores catering to the students, but many of those are interesting stores for us old people. There's a very nice walkability to downtown, several good coffeehouses, an excellent and slightly weird ice cream place (whose name escapes me), and three of the more interesting places in town-- Ragtag Cinema (foreign and indie movies), 9th St. Video (foreign and indie video rentals), and Uprise Bakery and Coffee, all occupy the same building. Like any college town, it's got transients in the downtown area-- I think it's the price you pay for attracting young people. There are lots of bars for young people, but we (we're in our 50s) also frequent a number of places, like Lakota and Uprise for coffee and pastries, Sycamore and Bleu for good food, and Flat branch Pub (it's got some new competition, haven't tried it yet) for a beer/pub/pub food thing.

The trails, esp. the MKT trail from downtown out to the Katy Trail, are also hugely popular with both walkers, joggers, and bicyclists, and are beautiful year-round.

Your best bet to find out about safe neighborhoods (there are simply too many to go through and anything I could tell you would be anecdotal and incomplete) is to go to the city's website, gocolumbiamo.com, and you should find crime statistics maps and such there.
Wow, thank you for this detailed post! I know the Grant area well, our kids went to school there and I also worked for a short while at the DBR Public Library, one of my fondest memories, wonderful librarians there! Sounds like the area you live in is the one that interests me most. Used to live close by (several decades ago). I don't suppose there's a food store on the order of Trader Joe's or Whole Foods? We used to shop at a food coop near the U. I'm curious to know what brings you to Columbia from Austin? Sounds like quite a cultural jump. A daughter lived in Austin while going to school.
Back to housing...what is West Rollins Road like? Is it heavily trafficked?

Thanks again for all your good info.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:26 PM

508 posts, read 1,505,200 times
I also miss Columbia. Great small(ish) town life. Like many college towns, I don't know what kind of life exists for young singles that are beyond their college days.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:47 PM

Default Newer Southwest Neighborhoods?

Can anyone suggest newer developments in the Southwest? I have heard Mill Creek Manor is nice? What about The Cascades or Quail Creek? These are all located further from the university and downtown. Any comments would be most appreciated.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiree951 View Post
Can anyone suggest newer developments in the Southwest? I have heard Mill Creek Manor is nice? What about The Cascades or Quail Creek? These are all located further from the university and downtown. Any comments would be most appreciated.
Retiree951, are you returning to Columbia to retire, or are you already there? If you're returning, can you share some of the reasons?

Old 11-02-2009, 02:28 PM

Default Columbia

Actually I have lived all over, but mostly the Midwest, having grown up in Chicago, and I spent a long time in St. Louis. I'm currently in Denver, having retired at the end of May. Colorado is definitely nice, but the real estate prices are off the charts, especially if you want a lot larger than 0.15 acres! So I've been searching for a medium sized college town for quite a while, especially since I don't feel like I can afford a home costing more than about $225k. I love Madison, Wisconsin (lived there for a long time as well), but it is also expensive (especially taxes) and very cold. I'm a runner, and the older I get, the more the cold seems to affect me. I've been researching Columbia for quite a while now, and have been impressed with the cost of living, the education levels, and the attempt at a green community with lots of parks and trails. The Katy Trail is also nearby, and I've always thought Midwesterners were the nicest folks to be around. Now I'm trying to focus on neighborhoods that might be nice as well. In Highlands Ranch where I now live (just south of Denver), we have issues with high schoolers run amock (drugs, vandalism,....), so I'm trying to avoid that. I'm also probably looking for a newer house since my handyman skills are somewhat limited!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiree951 View Post
Actually I have lived all over, but mostly the Midwest, having grown up in Chicago, and I spent a long time in St. Louis. I'm currently in Denver, having retired at the end of May. Colorado is definitely nice, but the real estate prices are off the charts, especially if you want a lot larger than 0.15 acres! So I've been searching for a medium sized college town for quite a while, especially since I don't feel like I can afford a home costing more than about $225k. I love Madison, Wisconsin (lived there for a long time as well), but it is also expensive (especially taxes) and very cold. I'm a runner, and the older I get, the more the cold seems to affect me. I've been researching Columbia for quite a while now, and have been impressed with the cost of living, the education levels, and the attempt at a green community with lots of parks and trails. The Katy Trail is also nearby, and I've always thought Midwesterners were the nicest folks to be around. Now I'm trying to focus on neighborhoods that might be nice as well. In Highlands Ranch where I now live (just south of Denver), we have issues with high schoolers run amock (drugs, vandalism,....), so I'm trying to avoid that. I'm also probably looking for a newer house since my handyman skills are somewhat limited!
In the same boat, but retiring (literally) on a shoestring....I'm noticing houses in Columbia that look nice online, reasonably priced. RE taxes seem half of what they are in NE. The counties around St Louis seem reasonable and nice too. I loved living in St-L. I guess a trip is in order to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri