Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 01:25 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,119 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
Thankfully, I have been blessed with a company that has mostly survived throughout the current economic crisis. I work in IT and we have lost no one in our department, but having a wife and son that depend on me, I still worry about it. I have virtually no savings (we are trying!). I am 24, she is 22, and my son is 2.

I have seen that unemployment pay is abysmal....My take home is currently $1450-1472 every other week.

So my question is - if unemployment will only pay me, say, $500 every 2 weeks...Can I get a job delivering pizzas or something to supplement, or as soon as you get that job are you yanked off of unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 03:44 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,050 times
No you can not.You accept that pay that is it.Although you can turn down a Job offering that don't pay as much.

hillman

Old 06-30-2009, 04:44 PM

Understandable, but a bit pathetic. I read something like it's in the $500s for a FAMILY every 2 weeks. I know it's not meant to encourage people to not work, but I couldn't even make my mortgage AND my electric with that, let alone insurance, cars, etc.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:49 PM

Looks like you were a bit off;
Q. Can I Work Part Time and Receive Benefits?
A. You may be eligible to receive some benefits for a week if you work less than full time. You must continue to look for and be able to work full time. You must report your gross wages (wages before deductions) and not just take home pay. The benefits you will be paid when working less than full time will be the difference between your weekly benefit amount and that part of your wages for the week that are in excess of $20 or 20% of your weekly benefit amount, whichever is greater. Benefits that are payable to you are rounded down to the next lower whole dollar. Any withholdings for federal taxes, etc. are taken out of the payable amount.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:07 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Looks like you were a bit off;
Q. Can I Work Part Time and Receive Benefits?
A. You may be eligible to receive some benefits for a week if you work less than full time. You must continue to look for and be able to work full time. You must report your gross wages (wages before deductions) and not just take home pay. The benefits you will be paid when working less than full time will be the difference between your weekly benefit amount and that part of your wages for the week that are in excess of $20 or 20% of your weekly benefit amount, whichever is greater. Benefits that are payable to you are rounded down to the next lower whole dollar. Any withholdings for federal taxes, etc. are taken out of the payable amount.
Ok this is true.But you Unemployment would be cut to where it doesn't do you any good to work.

Say you are drawing $500,you work and make $200.Your Unemployment would be cut down to $300.

Make sence?

hillman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri