Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:34 AM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times

Advertisements

Seems like this thread's so old we'll have to perform a carbon-14 test on it! By now the OP could be anywhere between Timbuktu, Potosi, Broseley, Missouri, and Mexican Hat, Utah for all I know. But I totally agree with you on St. Charles, and Hermann, MO is like it's in another place in time, too! My wife and I love its German heritage.

When I drove through Potosi back in 2003, I had to chuckle at the name of a store in town: Dickey Bub's! I just knew I was a real long way from California when I saw that! Dickey Bub's is a "farm and home" hardware store. May Home Depot, never, ever, ever, ever take it over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 10:31 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Seems like this thread's so old we'll have to perform a carbon-14 test on it! By now the OP could be anywhere between Timbuktu, Potosi, Broseley, Missouri, and Mexican Hat, Utah for all I know. But I totally agree with you on St. Charles, and Hermann, MO is like it's in another place in time, too! My wife and I love its German heritage.

When I drove through Potosi back in 2003, I had to chuckle at the name of a store in town: Dickey Bub's! I just knew I was a real long way from California when I saw that! Dickey Bub's is a "farm and home" hardware store. May Home Depot, never, ever, ever, ever take it over!
Dickey Bub's eh?
That sounds a little southern/Ozark(ian) to me
ajf 131 would have a field day with this.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 03-02-2008 at 02:31 PM..

Old 03-02-2008, 12:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:

Eric, if you liked those places, then you MUST go to my beloved Sainte Genevieve!!!!
Broseley, seriously???? Ash Hill or Fisk!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:10 PM

We got to go to Ste. Genevieve (first time for both of us, actually!) last May! That's another great place, and Ste. Genevieve Catholic Church is just gorgeous.

I never even heard of Broseley, Missouri until Cali BassMan came along. It's all HIS fault! And I get the feeling there are no Dickey Bub's stores up in New Hampshire. Sorry.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
We got to go to Ste. Genevieve (first time for both of us, actually!) last May! That's another great place, and Ste. Genevieve Catholic Church is just gorgeous.

I never even heard of Broseley, Missouri until Cali BassMan came along. It's all HIS fault! And I get the feeling there are no Dickey Bub's stores up in New Hampshire. Sorry.
FYI, my moms family is from that area, Fisk and Ash Hill are even smaller than Broseley, compared to them, Potosi is urban!

Old 03-02-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:

I was just joking around with ya My parents are retired and are looking at homes in Carroll County NH if you know where that is. It is near the Lake Winnipeasaukee area. I am still living in E Kansas for now.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with that area of MO that includes Washington County. People have told me it is quite hilly in that area with some farms occasionally. I do know that the lack of jobs is quite an issue in that area and a few surrounding counties

Old 03-02-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
I was just joking around with ya My parents are retired and are looking at homes in Carroll County NH if you know where that is. It is near the Lake Winnipeasaukee area. I am still living in E Kansas for now.
Oh, I know! Dickey Bub's just sounds like a place that Bo and Luke Duke, and Uncle Jesse would go to quite a bit. Let me grab my road atlas....There's Carroll County! Wow, that must be a very pretty area up there, next to the Maine border--a few miles west of it anyway. Looks like it's not all that far south of Mt. Washington. I'll have to look up Lake Winnipesaukee at Flickr and Google Images, too! It sounds like your parents enjoy the colder weather a lot more than snowbirds who head down to Florida for the winter.

Are you going to stay put in eastern Kansas for the foreseeable future? (Hopefully the OP won't mind this temporary detour from the Potosi, MO main topic.... )

Old 03-02-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with that area of MO that includes Washington County. People have told me it is quite hilly in that area with some farms occasionally. I do know that the lack of jobs is quite an issue in that area and a few surrounding counties
Right on all counts. I would love to get the chance to go on a Bonne Terre Mine Tour and see the big underground lake where a lot of people go scuba diving. Missouri Highway 21 is a very beautiful, if dangerous highway; some have even dubbed it "Blood Alley." Many highways in that part of southeast Missouri have very short, steep hills, and you can't see over the top of it until you reach the top and start plunging back down again.

Iron County is the next county south of Washington County. The public library I visited in the town of Ironton last year still had the old card catalog system with the pull-out drawers! No online catalog, at least then! But that area--the Arcadia Valley--is awesome. Fort Davidson State Historic Park in the town of Pilot Knob is the site of a big Civil War battle. Unfortunately, it would be awfully hard to find a good-paying job in that general area. Maybe all the way over in Jackson or Cape Girardeau.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:21 PM

Been on that mine tour, it was wonderful! We did a field trip in school to the mines, also went to the old Mine la Breton, Mine la Motte, and all those other old mines, they are directly connected to the history of Sainte Genevieve.
Highway 21 is not the only frightening road like that. Virtually every county road in Ste Gen County is like that. It was great driving with a sports car when I was young, but riding those roads again, I am simply amazed that there are not more accidents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri