Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:12 PM

137 posts, read 520,289 times

Advertisements

Just curious what the people on this forum "do", you don't have to give amounts or a ton of details. Even saying blue collar or white collar is fine.

How many of you are self employed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 08:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonYellow View Post
Just curious what the people on this forum "do", you don't have to give amounts or a ton of details. Even saying blue collar or white collar is fine.

How many of you are self employed?
I'm a transplant from the South. I moved my family to the Ozarks from Georgia way back in 1953. I spent nearly 30 years as a small-town Ozarks newspaperman, then published a monthly Ozarks-related magazine/newspaper for three years. Now I work in retail, and I enjoy it hugely.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:32 PM

246 posts, read 629,171 times
We moved here in 2004 not knowing a soul and not having jobs.
Hubby was a General Contractor before the move. Here there really
is no such thing. He got his plumbing and electrical license, also does some remodeling. Basically picks and chooses which jobs he wants and has never advertised or solicited, and has had more than enough work.
He bends easily and has done other stuff as well, anything that
there is a need for.

I have a radio and banking background and have had job offers
in both (without applying). Never followed them up to see what
the pay or perks were or anything. I have worked on computers here for businesses and residences, never advertised myself as such though.

We network a lot, stay friendly and open to people, and bend with the demand.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:48 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,050 times
I partially Retired from Bakery worked few other Jobs such as Truck driving,Seedsman and Chicken Plant.Then fully Retired.Bad thing is I might lose my Pension next year because they blowed the funds.

My wife works in a Factory Sewing Subcontracting for Haliburton but swhe is looking to lose this Job around the first of the year.

Just nothingt in the way of Jobs around here much less anything that pays.

hillman

Old 08-24-2009, 07:25 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I work in social services. I'm extremely fortunate to have found a job that, while the pay is not great, is part-time and works around my school schedule AND offers medical insurance AND is relatively close to my home. It's very hard to find any jobs in my area, period. I like where I live a lot, but after graduating I may have to move a bit closer towards a more populated area if I want to be able to use my degree without commuting 90 minutes one-way.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:31 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
I commute to the city.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
We'll be living in rural MO, the Ozarks, in about three weeks. We're both retired so it works well for us!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:55 PM

380 posts, read 963,082 times
My husband is retired. I've tried to retire but have clients who won't let me. I've been a web designer/developer since 1995 and can do my work from anywhere as long as I can get internet access. Although my business is a fraction of what it was before we moved south, it is still enough to pay for some luxuries like eating out, one of the limited edition prints I collect, lamb chops once in a while.

We have no debt, have our health, some savings, a small pension and our SS checks each month. We grow our own veggies and can or freeze. We've made some wonderful friends here. We manage to live a nice life - simple, but nice.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:00 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
I work for the number one industry in Jeff City. The Government...

Old 08-25-2009, 08:23 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
I'm an Xray tech at a large hospital, been there 20 years.
Hubby has worked at an explosives plant for 22 years.
I love my job (most days!)
He doesn't love his job (any days) but the pay is pretty good for unskilled labor and he knows his job allows us to do the fun things we want (eat out, travel, movies, buy stuff).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri