Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:11 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, I understand you much better than I did Ozarksboy. Anyone who would watch "So You Think You Can Dance", is bound to love high school football. To each his own, I guess. Isn't that what makes life interesting? I'd say.

20yrsinBranson
I either watch what my wife likes to watch, or I go in another room and pick banjo. That's her favorite show, so I usually watch it with her. Doesn't your husband do things you like so he can be with you? Anyway, I don't mind that show, for there are some mighty fine looking women on there.

Well, yes, "to each his own" does make life interesting, and if you don't want to go to a high school football game then don't. As I recall, my original suggestion was not that everyone MUST go to a high school football game. I believe I said ... well, here's exactly what I said in post No. 1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
One of our cultural activities in small Ozarks towns is to keep up with our local high school athletic teams.

If you're a transplant accustomed to operas and ballets, this will hurt you, but you ought to consider going to some home football games this fall. Some of you have asked about fittin' in with the locals; one good way is to show your neighbors you support the home football team.

In other words, show your new neighbors that you are interested in the kids of the community. Go to school plays and concerts, too, as well as art exhibitions. Buy some fruit from the FFA at Christmas time. Go to the band's chili supper.
I think that suggestion was pretty tame, especially from me. It was in one of my rare transplant-accepting moods, one of the rare days I decided to offer some helpful advice.

Then, some days later, you countered with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I cannot, for the life of me, think of anything less interesting than sitting around watching a bunch of teen agers play some assinine sport. The people who go to athletic activities are people who have children IN THEM and they don't have a choice. You do not find unchilded people at these places, unless it is to support a neice or nephew or to try to suck up to somebody's parents.

While I tend to agree that there is often a dearth of culture in the Ozarks, it can be found with a little perserverance you can find something a LITTLE more interesting than watching a pubescent pupil sweat.

20yrsinBranson
Well, OK, then. Don't go join the hometown crowd. You're a Californian, and you think you're above these small-town traditions and people you find so childish and ridiculous so don't mix with them. The hometowners probably don't want to be around a condescending Californian anyway, not even one who has been here 20 years and thinks of herself, mistakenly, as a country girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:28 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
^Geez, in my neck of the woods, a football game is a chance to socialize. We dont feel the need to "suck up" to anyone. Thats not how we natives roll, is it, OB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri