Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, couple things... many people tend to stereotype, out of ignorance, fear, misunderstanding, misperceptions - yet, on the other side of that coin, sometimes stereotyping can be to extent based on reality. With that said, there are a fair number from CA that do indeed totally or at least partially fit, or parts of the stereotyped persona can be seen in them. California is a magical, special, confusing place - and seems to most in the Midwest as such, and some of the people from the the land of Hollywood, LA, etc. as being tad loony, with morals, thoughts, desires, etc. quite often different from those we were raised with, and how we believe. Not necessarily right - but different,,, and being different, 'tis perceived as wrong, and undesirable, and disliked. Same can be said for how many country folk view 'city slickers', those from NYC, Jersey, etc. Unfortunately, those that are elected and hold power and speak, so that national audience is aware of them, such as Boxer, Feinstein, Pelosi, etc. have [for lack of a better word at the moment] 'radical' and different views - and then the rest of those from CA are viewed with the same judgmental eye by us from the Midwest. Heck, such is done also even w/in areas - recall growing up in a small town, and those from other towns around us were viewed as either hicks, backwards, and so on and on... part of it is good natured fun, more part of it though is due to most human's desire to be suspicious of outsiders,,, and the more goofy the land/area that their 'home' reputation is, the more harshly those that are from there are viewed.

With all that said, I will state that I love California - the land, the promise, the potential, the cultural aspects, the scenery, the rich history, the geology, the cities, the countryside, and quite a bit of what her people have produced - and absolutely loved visiting San Fran and northern CA areas [LA and southern CA, not so much - east of San Diego in the mtns and desert is cool, but otherwise ]. But the [to me] insane actions of too many of the 'leaders', judges, etc. from there...

For entertainment purposes only, here be the following:
Daylight Savings Delusion: A California congressman's strange solution to his state's energy woes - Reason Magazine
California: A Liberal Economic Microcosm - Cultural Gadfly
http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/23...d-of-confusion

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 09-10-2009 at 10:17 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 10:00 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,298 times
I have a few California transplants in my neighborhood, you are all welcome as far as I am concerned!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
These websites are FANTASTIC!! That third one! Look how many state agencies there are in California--and that list is assuredly only a representative sample. California Bureau of State Audits? California Complaint Mediation Program?! California Debt and Investment Advisory Commission?!! California Horse Racing Board?!! California Smart Growth Caucus?!!!! California Small Business Development Center Program???!!!! HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! That reminds me of a joke I once heard Congressman Tom McClintock of NE California tell: "What do you need to start a small business in California? A big business!"

Thanks again, ShadowCaver!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
These websites are FANTASTIC!! That third one! Look how many state agencies there are in California--and that list is assuredly only a representative sample. California Bureau of State Audits? California Complaint Mediation Program?! California Debt and Investment Advisory Commission?!! California Horse Racing Board?!! California Smart Growth Caucus?!!!! California Small Business Development Center Program???!!!! HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! That reminds me of a joke I once heard Congressman Tom McClintock of NE California tell: "What do you need to start a small business in California? A big business!"

Thanks again, ShadowCaver!
Follow the money. Most, if not all, of the boards and commissions are not necessary and provide no value added. They merely duplicate or interfere with functions under the ourview if the state departments. However, they're places for the political leadership (Governor, President pro tem of the Senate, Speaker of the Assembly) to appoint termed-out colleges or favored staffers to membership positions at pay levels higher than their legislative salaries.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:21 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Follow the money. Most, if not all, of the boards and commissions are not necessary and provide no value added. They merely duplicate or interfere with functions under the ourview if the state departments. However, they're places for the political leadership (Governor, President pro tem of the Senate, Speaker of the Assembly) to appoint termed-out colleges or favored staffers to membership positions at pay levels higher than their legislative salaries.
Hence, more public money being spent, then more taxes from the public needed to be raised, less spending money for public to have to use for other goods, less investment money that companies have, etc. etc.

And yet interestingly enough, California is still one of the world's largest economic power, ranking consistently in the top 10... for now,,, yet for how much longer? Is it all a deck of cards, on verge of collapse? Or is it robust enough to survive bad decisions, etc., and emerge better, stronger?
Cal Facts 2006 State Economy
Milken Institute Research - California Center
California NOW: World's 8th Largest Economy Now Officially Broke (http://www.canow.org/canoworg/2009/02/california-officially-broke.html - broken link)
Hoover Institution - Facts on Policy - The California Economy (http://www.hoover.org/research/factsonpolicy/facts/35975159.html - broken link)

So, tying the above to how some Midwesterners view California - say its with a wary eye; between the mess that is out there, the confusing laws, the goofy people that make the news, and so on [not to say that these are not prevalent or don't occur in Missouri or elsewhere but fact is that CA (and the East Coast) are in the news 8 out of 10 times it seems], so therefore people from those areas are viewed with suspicion... just like someone from a big city or even a different rural area would have to do when moving into a new rural areas. Guess its also more 'fun' to poke at the goofy stereotypical Kalifornians too...

Old 09-11-2009, 06:55 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I have noticed the issue with Californians as well. I am told by my MO friends that they don't like California because they feel California is very liberal, has Hollywood and L.A., promoted Brokeback Mountain and other disgusting movies, creates immoral TV shows, has a lot of gangs, crime, drugs, illegal immigrants, homosexuality, and the people there are just plain weird. There is a concern that California is trying to take over the country. We have a friend in our group FROM California. My MO friends are quick to say she's not like that and they don't lump her into that group, but I know it hurts her feelings.
Also in class recently (and this is a class primarily made up of liberal, educated white collar professionals anywhere from their mid-20s through mid-40s), California came up and there was a collective groan/eyes rolling. I was really surprised.
I am also still surprised that after being here for 2 years, no one has ever seemed to have an issue with the fact that I am from New Jersey. I think it's because I'm not one of those folks who worship NYC; I think MO folks would be much more distrusting of me if I were. They usually bring up NYC (or gay marriage in Massachusetts) as soon as I mention where I am from...I think it's a test to see if I'm "okay" or not. lol

Old 09-11-2009, 07:54 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
I think people have been bit^hing about Californian's for years. I'm originally form Oregon and there was an influx of people form California moving there. I remember the fairly small town I was born in, my grandmother lived there for years and we would go back to visit. There were corner mom and pop stores ( I used to go buy penny candy as a small kid), a small "mall" with a Sears and Woolworths and lots of food places, there is a college and Hospital. The town was peaceful and I loved it there. We had thought of moving back there (hubby and I) but it is a rat race now and I can't stand to even drive there now. New shopping and new buildings and houses. I hadn't been back for quite a few years and wow it's just too packed and busy. I guess you could say it's more progressive but it's not that great small town now. I think fear of this happening to their town is why people fear the Californian's moving in.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I have noticed the issue with Californians as well. I am told by my MO friends that they don't like California because they feel California is very liberal, has Hollywood and L.A., promoted Brokeback Mountain and other disgusting movies, creates immoral TV shows, has a lot of gangs, crime, drugs, illegal immigrants, homosexuality, and the people there are just plain weird. There is a concern that California is trying to take over the country. We have a friend in our group FROM California. My MO friends are quick to say she's not like that and they don't lump her into that group, but I know it hurts her feelings.
"Liberal" California is primarily found in the San Francisco and Los Angeles areas as well as Sacramento City. Unfortunately, those are also where most of the political power in the state resides and it affects the rest.

It is creeping, however. Previously conservative bastions such as Orange County and San Diego are beginning to elect liberal representatives to the state legislature and the tide is decidedly beginning to turn.

I worked legislation for the state for 17 years and used to keep a file of stupid useless bills that were introduced, some of which were in my policy areas so I'd testify in legislative committee hearings to oppose them. Each year the file grew fatter than the year before.

I think California's biggest problem is it's totally polarized legislature that seems to think the state needs almost 3,000 new laws a year!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:43 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin_09 View Post
I have been reading these forums for some time, the Missouri ones as well as other rural states, and I notice that for the most part, Californians are very disliked. Nobody wants them moving to their part of the country. What is it specifically that people resent about them?
You know...I have been wondering the same thing. No matter what State you come from, you bring in your ideas, biases, prejudices, attitudes etc to another place. Depending on where you move will determine how well you fit in and adjust. Maybe coming from CA into MO is a culture shock for both sides. I have met people from KS that moved to MO and brought with them a crappy attitude. So I do not think it is a fair representation that all Californians bring bad things to Missouri. I have met some great folks that have moved here from CA and after they got over the initial shock of a slower pace of life, they have adjusted well and love it here.

Maybe its the fact that we hear more about the higher # of Californians that are moving here that gets the attention focused on them. Also, the first thing I think of when I hear of CA is movie stars, the rich, and the beaches. Maybe other states have a preconceived idea that all Californians are rich snobs that feel that they are better than everyone else. Either way...the good, bad, and the ugly are part of the population no matter where you move from or move to.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:20 AM

177 posts, read 582,572 times
Oh wow, interesting. It's funny this type of conversation takes place in the MO forum, lol. I guess I'll throw my personal opinion in, though, since everyone is doing so. I tend to recognize that many Missourians (not all) can be intimidated by Californians' personality (they have one, haha ... my view, sorry)! Lively, fun, confident, open-minded (on the most part from those I've met). I tend to think many Missourians are still a little out-dated, close minded, judgmental ... One reason why I can't wait to move to Oregon .. in my opinion the culture (based on people I have met) is more open minded, down to earth, friendly ... and less religious bible beating types. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri