Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:17 AM

13 posts, read 38,520 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody. My name is Jon, I am 25 years old and I live in the Basque Country (it is a little European country divided in two parts, one belongs to France and the other to Spain).

I would like to know more about Kirksville and Truman State University and I would be very grateful if someone could help me on that. I have been looking on the Internet and apart from the university's web site I have not found any interesting thing about how living in Kirksville and its university life are.

The reason why I am asking about these information, is because I am in the third year of Business Studies (I study in the ESTE faculty in Donostia which belongs to the University of Deusto) and on the fifth year we have to study abroad. We have to choose the country and the university where we would like to spend our last year for february of 2007, so I would like to know as much as I can about all of them to take the correct decision.
The only thing I have clear enough is that I would like to go to the United States and in this case the options they give us are Boston College International, Truman State University, Santa Clara University, University of Dayton and Loyola Marymount University.

I am seriously considering the idea of going to Truman State but before taking any decision I would like to have more information.

If anyone is in the opposite situation, studying in Truman State and thinking on going to my university or country, please send me an e-mail or just ask from this forum and I would be pleased to answer.

I would like to end apologizing for all the grammatical mistakes I am afraid I have done (I am still learning English).

I look forward to hearing from you,
Jon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 10,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basque_boy23
Hello everybody. My name is Jon, I am 25 years old and I live in the Basque Country (it is a little European country divided in two parts, one belongs to France and the other to Spain).

I would like to know more about Kirksville and Truman State University and I would be very grateful if someone could help me on that. I have been looking on the Internet and apart from the university's web site I have not found any interesting thing about how living in Kirksville and its university life are.

The reason why I am asking about these information, is because I am in the third year of Business Studies (I study in the ESTE faculty in Donostia which belongs to the University of Deusto) and on the fifth year we have to study abroad. We have to choose the country and the university where we would like to spend our last year for february of 2007, so I would like to know as much as I can about all of them to take the correct decision.
The only thing I have clear enough is that I would like to go to the United States and in this case the options they give us are Boston College International, Truman State University, Santa Clara University, University of Dayton and Loyola Marymount University.

I am seriously considering the idea of going to Truman State but before taking any decision I would like to have more information.

If anyone is in the opposite situation, studying in Truman State and thinking on going to my university or country, please send me an e-mail or just ask from this forum and I would be pleased to answer.

I would like to end apologizing for all the grammatical mistakes I am afraid I have done (I am still learning English).

I look forward to hearing from you,
Jon.

Hi Jon. I was born and raised in the area of Truman College. It's the best you can get. Kirksville is a wonderful place with lots of things to do and see. I don't think you could go wrong going there. I found this link and possibly it will help some. We would be glad to have you here in the states

http://www.kirksvillecity.com/

Old 07-08-2006, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,977 times
Default do you like cold wind??

jon...

my daughter graduated from truman state 2 years ago....
very competetive school...
but, she really liked it...

there is nothing very close to it...
you might be 2 hrs from columbia, mo where the university is...
maybe an hr from iowa..
so, that was a downer...
but, once you get your friends you should do fine...

she said the winters there were horrible...
not an awful lot of snow, but very, very cold wind!!

the school is EXCELLENT...
very pretty & it has an excellent reputation...
she would do it over again...

hope this helps!!
let me know if there is anything else...

martha

Old 07-09-2006, 12:46 PM

Default Thank you for your help :)

Thank you for the information, both "Sunshine" and Martha, I really appreciate your help. All the information I can get about it will be very helpful to take the correct decision.

It's been very kind of you.

Thanks again,
Jon.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:46 AM

Hi Martha, I would like to ask some more questions about Truman State to you. I sent you a private message but I saw you have not read it yet.

I hope you read this,
Jon.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 29,748 times
Truman State is a great little school. Very pretty campus. Excellent academic environment. But Kirksville really is "the middle of nowhere." If you're looking for the rural/small town American experience, you'll find it there.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:53 AM

Thank you for your reply "EllieMom".

Look, I'm very interested in Truman State and Kirksville, because I think it will be the best place to improve my English level. The reasons why I think that are on one hand that due to its location there won't be many Spanish speakers there (so I'll find myself forced to speak and live in English), and on the other hand that it isn't a popular destiny between the students of my university (we live far from the United States but the most of the tv-series and movies that we see are from there, so everybody wants to know California and places like that) so I would be the only student from my university going to Truman State (while to Boston College, Loyola Marymount or Santa Clara will go 6 or 7 students to each one, and when this happens, people tend to stay and go out with people of their country, so at the end you are in an English speaking country but you don't improve your English level because you're always speaking on your own language).

So, in that respect I have quite clear that going to Truman State would be the best way to improve my English level, but there are some other respects where I have doubts.
My main concerns were two: wether the college is good or not and how can be living in a little city like Kirksville.
About the first one, you told me that it's excellent so I'm not concerned about it more. On this aspect, I thought that Boston College could be the better one, but considering that my objective is to improve my English level, the only thing that I want is attend to a good college without considering its prestige.

It's on the Kirksville aspect where I have more doubts. Here in the Basque Country I live in a city with two hundred thousand citizens, so living in one near to fifteen thousand may be tough considering I won't know anyone there (or not, I don't know, may be there are plenty of things there and a great university environment).
I'm quite shy and I don't have a very open nature, so I wonder how easy or hard could be for me doing friends there.

Excuse me for asking so much and for all the grammar mistakes I'm afraid I've done.

I'm really grateful,
Jon.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:33 PM

6 posts, read 29,748 times
Jon,
Kirksville is definitely a small town, but a small college town. I think you'll find the students and faculty very friendly and helpful. Kirksville is fairly isolated, though, and in the middle of farmland. And it is very flat, quite different than the mountains that I associate with Basque Country.

Have you talked to any students at Truman? They would be able to tell you better how it is to be a student there. If you would like some names, let me know I might be able to help you connect with current students.

EllieMom

Old 08-19-2006, 04:05 PM

Hi EllieMom and thank you for your quick reply. I really appreciate your help.

I haven't talked to any student at Truman and I agree with you that it would be a great chance to know more about how student life is at Truman. I would be very grateful if you could help me connect with a current Truman student.

Thank you again for everything,
Jon.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:05 AM

Hi EllieMom and thank you for your quick reply. I really appreciate your help.

I haven't talked to any student at Truman and I agree with you that it would be a great chance to know more about how student life is at Truman. I would be very grateful if you could help me connect with a current Truman student.

Thank you again for everything,
Jon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri