U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-24-2009, 05:14 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,499,253 times
Default If you're moving to Rolla, bring us some jobs

My disdain for people wanting to move here from out of state is well documented in city-data.

I'm having a change of attitude, though. If you are a big industrialist with a potload of money and want to put a factory here, come on. There's a bunch of hillbillies need some places to work.

Briggs & Stratton shut down their big plant; I heard they moved a lot of work to China.

Now Can-Tex, which makes plastic pipe, is shutting down (http://www.therolladailynews.com/news/x593049546/Cantex-to-end-Rolla-operations - broken link).

Our main downtown street, Pine Street, has about seven empty stores, three of them stand-alone buildings. That may get worse.

If you're moving to Rolla and are concerned about whether we have a mall or a Starbucks, listen to me, we've got bigger worries than that right now. We don't need airheads fretting about where they'll do their serious shopping. We've got lots of hard-working families worried about how they're going to buy groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 06:39 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,863,271 times
Like this all over talked with one of our Senators about so much stuff being imported I kid you not she tells me that I'm enjoying cheap T.V.'s,Computers and all get over it. I'm thinking I would gladly pay a good price for stuff made by fellow Missourians making good wages as I would seeing them not have a Job buying cheap junk.

hillman

Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 PM

23,444 posts, read 16,979,297 times
^ I think a lot of folks feel the same way....... write your respective Congress folk, tell them you are mad as hell!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:02 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,655,352 times
OB - you are late to the party, errr,,, wake... this same story is being played over and over again, all across this country. Here be just one example, of a town similar to Rolla in size and geography: Hard times bring rising foreclosures to rural Ohio | U.S. | Reuters

And Hillman, you got a lot of that correct right there - just how much of this stuff we [individuals and corporations] buy comes from overseas? Older story, but still quite relevant: An Empire Built on Bargains Remakes the Working World -- latimes.com
Quote:
...Consumers reap the benefits every time they push a cart through Wal-Mart's checkout lines.
Yet Wal-Mart's astonishing success exacts a heavy price. By squeezing suppliers to cut wholesale costs, the company has hastened the flight of U.S. manufacturing jobs overseas. By scouring the globe for the cheapest goods, it has driven factory jobs from one poor nation to another. ...

Old 09-24-2009, 08:14 PM

23,444 posts, read 16,979,297 times
Shadow, I agree with you 99.9999999% of the time, but you are pointing out things we all already know.
I, for one, am not ready to roll over and play dead.
So......... what do we do to reverse what is happening? Any answers?
That is the question that begs to be answered, not bon mots fed to us about the death of the American dream, for lack of a better term.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:15 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,655,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Shadow, I agree with you 99.9999999% of the time, but you are pointing out things we all already know.
I, for one, am not ready to roll over and play dead.
So......... what do we do to reverse what is happening? Any answers?
That is the question that begs to be answered, not bon mots fed to us about the death of the American dream, for lack of a better term.
T'aint never one to roll over and be play or be dead... intent of above post was to show, yea 'tis already well known, but the answers are w/in that LA Times story, for example: you reap what ya sow - its a tighter, closer knit circle than most people realize. Buy the cheap crap, Your own job is next.

Also, so many foolish yet well intentioned people want to make this country into a 'service industry'... well, IMHO -> BS. Everyone scrubbing each other's windows, laundry, health care, etc. does NOT get us productive - a country needs to actually produce goods, manufacture, create, mold, whatever - not just service and take. Don't get me wrong - service jobs are extremely important... but, there is no value adds to the goods created, cause there ain't no goods being created.

Fewer manufacturing companies in US => Less positions to create goods => Number of employees goes down => Fewer taxes being paid by company or workers =>Less income to Gov't [local, state, fed] => Decreased Gov't program budgets => Increased need of Gov't to increase income [ie: Taxes] (to support their programs/budgets) => Gov't debt increases => More manufacturing companies look off-shore for producing goods (cheaper labor, less oversight, less taxes, etc.) => Fewer manufacturing companies in US...

So, my answer,,, sorry, honestly, don't have detailed one - but somehow, someway, there needs to be an increase in actual manufacturing in this country. And yes, I am one that places much focus, if not blame, on W*M [and by extension those that shop there - which I admit am guilty of; but will state (again) for the record that I will go far out of my way to find items that have "made in USA" on 'em, even if of higher cost - when can] and that company's extremely aggressive actions on their suppliers. Similar to automotive Big 3 - how their purchasing policy focuses almost exclusively on cost, far above quality or any other attribute, and forces their suppliers to decrease sacred "cost" so far, that eventually they quit, go bankrupt, or are so damaged that they have issues then. Plus, lastly, short-sided quarterly-profit stock-market driven companies... short term gain, too often damaging or at least blinding longer-term vision [if such even exists].

Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,753,176 times
Will it help to mention that yesterday I bought a galvanized trash can at a local Orschlens store in the nearest town? This store is mostly Farm and Home type, animal supplies, hardware, etc., owned by Missourians and most of the products that I purchase there are made in the good old U. S. of A. As was this trash can. Could of bought it cheaper at you know where, but why? It's a good can.

Thanks again all for your input on this subject. So close to my heart and pocket book. I'll gladly pay a few bucks more for something, knowing it was produced here at home.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 PM

380 posts, read 565,112 times
I spent a dollar to buy a cribbage board at a local resale shop. It was in its original box, it was made from wood with beautiful wooden pegs and on the bottom was marked Manufactured in USA. I felt like I had found tresure.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:04 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,863,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2pomona View Post
I spent a dollar to buy a cribbage board at a local resale shop. It was in its original box, it was made from wood with beautiful wooden pegs and on the bottom was marked Manufactured in USA. I felt like I had found tresure.
But on the other side I was working on my Dodge Pickup noticed a Tag made in Canada,then another Tag made in Mexico.Then was at our Daughters noticed a Towel made in Isreal I have one Cheap build Wood Stove made in U.S.A. Good but Cheap,have another Wood Stove that is much better built made in Canada.Even my Conposting Toilet is made in Canada.Both are High $$ but well made,I see no reason the U.S.A. can't do the same??

hillman

Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 AM

44 posts, read 86,144 times
The last pack of fiddle strings I bought were made in Sarasota , Florida ...
Im try'in to do my part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri