Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:34 AM

137 posts, read 520,413 times

Advertisements

Where I currently live we get blizzards, but not ice storms.

I assume there are different prep plans or things to look for or build when you want to "prepare" (or at least not freeze through) an ice storm.

What do you do? If you were looking at property (or building) what would you insist on? I assume a woodstove and/or fireplace is a must have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 12:13 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
Our wires are underground, so we have less of chance of losing power unless it knocks out a transformer.

Really no different than preparing for a blizzard or other natural inconvenience
Don't go out unless you absolutely have too.
Fireplaces are always good.

Being from Southern California, we always have a "disaster kit" near by and ready to use. Water, Propane, Gasoline Batteries, Radio, First aid kit, Camp stove, grill, blankets/sleeping bags, Dry food, tent, toiletries etc (essentially a camping set, neatly packed and ready to go)

Probably never have to use it in an emergency and we update/refresh it when ever we go camping.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:22 PM

437 posts, read 1,071,615 times
Wood stove or fire place is good if you have one or are set up for one. We're not so we spent the bucks on a generator. If you want one, buy it now - do not wait until an ice storm is at hand because the prices will soar.

Other things to have include candles, matches, blankets, bottled water, canned foods, a camp stove with propane bottles, coal oil lamps or camping lanterns (if you know how to use them, if not they can be dangerous), lots of warm clothing (flannel shirts, thermal underwear, etc.).

A good chain saw is handy for cutting up the limbs that may block your drive or fall onto the house as well.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,902 times
Main thing is if your on Well,draw your water off your Pressure Tank and open Valves.Try to keep your Freezers closed,if the stuff Thaws have Pressure Cookers,Jars and Seals ready to can.Have Coleman Lanterns and Stove if you don't have Propane Cook Stove.Wood Stove makes it nice.Have Chain Saw and Gas and Oil.Radio and Batteries.Cell Phone.We found Board Games are nice to kill time.

hillman

Old 10-11-2009, 09:44 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,062 times
Flashlights, batteries, candles, matches, kerosene and lamps. Can openers, paper supplies, plates, napkins, cups, TP. Water in jugs, juices, soups in cans. Wines, soda, beer. Card games, puzzles. Portable radio. Cell phone. Enough firewood cut for wood stove and/or fireplace. Blamkets, warm clothes, boots, gloves, hats. Pots to cook chili over the wood burning stove or Coleman cookstove.

Pet supplies if you have pets. Bottled water. Keep in touch with neighbors. Golf shoes to wear on the ice if you have to go out. You won't slip wearing these! Books magazines to read. Have fun and keep busy.

Oh, don't forget your camera to take some really fantastic pictures that will remind you in August how much fun you had. Like this:

Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 AM

One quick note about freezers - no matter how cold it is, food in freezers will NOT keep more than a couple of days at most even if you keep the freezers shut tight. During the big January 2007 ice storm in southwest Missouri, I thought that our frozen food would be fine because it was very, very cold in our home, well below freezing but after the first two or three days, the stuff started melting and dripping. We lost hundreds of dollars in food in that storm. I learned a lesson too. If I had just stacked the stuff on the kitchen table and counters, it might have been all right and stayed frozen but within the box, it wasn't.

Couldn't put it outside where I lived because it was literally in the woods and animals would have been into it.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:35 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
One quick note about freezers - no matter how cold it is, food in freezers will NOT keep more than a couple of days at most even if you keep the freezers shut tight. During the big January 2007 ice storm in southwest Missouri, I thought that our frozen food would be fine because it was very, very cold in our home, well below freezing but after the first two or three days, the stuff started melting and dripping. We lost hundreds of dollars in food in that storm. I learned a lesson too. If I had just stacked the stuff on the kitchen table and counters, it might have been all right and stayed frozen but within the box, it wasn't.

Couldn't put it outside where I lived because it was literally in the woods and animals would have been into it.

This is where we got lucky.Our Freezers were on the Back Porch.At night I would open the Doors on the Freezers and let it freeze.One day my wife decided to start canning and everything was still froze couldn't see thawing it out.Did pretty good for most of the two weeks we was without electric.By the time we started Canning the electric came back on.

Our main problem was water.I thought I would be ok by just going down to the spring.Thing is there was so many Trees down I couldn't get down there.

Oh another thing make sure you have Cash,without Electric Credit and Debit Cards are no good.Plus have plenty of Gas because Pumps at Gas Stations will not work without Electric.

Another thing cut the Switches off at the Pole because there will be a Surge when the Electric comes back on.My neighbor lost his New House because of this.

hillman

Old 10-12-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post

Oh another thing make sure you have Cash,without Electric Credit and Debit Cards are no good.Plus have plenty of Gas because Pumps at Gas Stations will not work without Electric.

hillman
Excellent point; cash is king in an ice storm because not only will the gas pumps not work, neither will the ATMs and most stores, if they open - some did in our area on a very minimal basis, can't take anything but cash because they're out of power too.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:19 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,758 times
Cool Go stay with a friend!

Well, the ice storms have been relatively light down where I live, but my folks live in Springfield and were without power for 10 days in that big one a couple of years ago. We just winterized their house and they came & stayed with me.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:55 PM

635 posts, read 1,655,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonYellow View Post
Where I currently live we get blizzards, but not ice storms.

I assume there are different prep plans or things to look for or build when you want to "prepare" (or at least not freeze through) an ice storm.

What do you do? If you were looking at property (or building) what would you insist on? I assume a woodstove and/or fireplace is a must have.
What I learned from the last couple of icestorms is...have an emergency kit ready. Flashlights (extra batteries), a car cell phone charger, weather radio, keep a good supply of quick ready-to-eat foods during the winter months, especially when there is a bad weather warning. We have ice storm warnings ....so don't wait till the ice is coming down to go
to Wal-mart (everything will be gone). I saw the neatest little portable (gas) heater (looked like R2D2) and it could kick out the heat. If you can afford a generator then get one. The biggest complaints are being cold, hungry, and bored. With a good plan you can combat all three of those during bad weather. Keep your trees trimmed down...branches cause a lot of damage. Camping equipment comes in handy during a power outage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri