U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 04:15 PM

86 posts, read 149,230 times

Advertisements

I am considering going to Mizzou in Columbia, or MSU in Springfield to finish my bachelor's degree in Hotel Restaurant Management. So my first question is which is the better school? I am currently in a small community college in South MS but people do not scare me. I love interacting with people and usually no matter how big or small, my surroundings. I make a memorable impression. I just want to go where I can receive the best education for my money.
Second part is I have a wife and 2 year old daughter. So I want a high quality school for my daughter to go to and a safe area for her to play. My wife said she will go where ever God leads us. She is an administrative assistant for an architect firm with a daily commute of 15 to 20 minutes one way, and the one thing I do not want is to extend that commute any further.

Just to throw another iron in the fire for discussion I have also thought about attending UCMO.

We are 99.9% sure the question is not IF we are going to move to MO but WHERE!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 04:34 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,471,674 times
Columbia and Springfield are both great places to live. I got my bachelors degree from MSU in Springfield and loved it. It sounds like you may be religious? If that is the case, Springfield is a great town for you and a wonderful place to raise a family. Springfield is bigger than Columbia, put Mizzou is bigger than Missouri State. Springfield has a ton of outdoor stuff to do. When we lived there, we were very active. Lots of beautiful parks, nature center, caves, close proximity to Mark Twain National Forest.
Columbia is also a great place to raise a family and the town tends to revolve around the University. If you are really into sports, Mizzou may be the better option. I would go with whichever school you can get the most financial aid/scholarships.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:15 AM

2,041 posts, read 2,051,641 times
MU is generally the superior school by most measures-- it's Missouri's only land-grant school and the only public Tier 1 research university. That said, I have no idea which has the better hotel/restaurant/hospitality management school. I'm only familiar with two such schools-- Cornell and the University of Houston-- and no Missouri school comes close to those two. I'd say Cornell is to this major what MU is to journalism-- the long-time recognized gold standard. And UH offers great opportunities to put your fresh knowledge into practice, since it runs a fully operational Hilton hotel on campus. But that's just me showing off my knowledge about various hotel & restaurant schools, and not being responsive to your questions.

It looks like Missouri State may offer better practical options, due to its proximity to Branson, something they stress on their website. I've known a couple of HRM majors from MU...because I occasionally go to bars and talk to the bartenders. They weren't in any kind of management training or internship program-- just tending bar to make some money, the way lots of other students do. Neither were involved in any formally structured internship or work/study program, although both got jobs on graduation-- one with Jason's Deli and the other with Brinker, the parent of Chili's and other chain restaurants-- both in restaurant management.

And while I live in Columbia and like it, I think it's fair to point out that Springfield is by far the more conventionally Christian/religious town of the two. It's not like you won't find athiests in Springfield or fundamentalist Christians in Columbia, but they're pretty much on opposite ends of that spectrum. So if God is leading you to make this choice, the choice might depend on your flavor of God.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Flavor of God

It seems like you are getting hung up on the "wherever God leads" statement in my thread. I believe God will provide where ever we end up. I will find a church that meets my families needs in either area. I am more interested in hearing about the school and safety for my daughter and the 2 Universities in the area.

Maybe I need to ask a different question.

In the job world which school (if any) is better recognized in your opinion.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:57 AM

2,041 posts, read 2,051,641 times
MU's generally recognized "in the job world" as the better university, without regard to any particular major.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:32 PM

Cyrano

Thanks!!

How are the schools and are there parks and things for my dog and daughter to play?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:08 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,471,674 times
I would say they are pretty even when it comes to employers. Mizzou has an amazing journalism school, but Missouri State's College of Business is top notch.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:10 PM

938 posts, read 3,229,049 times
I personally like Springfield more than Columbia. The towns have vastly different feels, despite being in the same state.

Springfield feels like a normal big town with a few colleges in it, while Columbia feels like a true college town. Neither really feels like a city.

One thing to consider is that MSU's tuition is quite a bit cheaper than Mizzou's. Or at lest it was a few years ago...MSU used to charge something like $140 per credit hour while Mizzou charged over $200. You'll want to double-check these numbers, of course.

Mizzou is generally thought of as a better institution academically than MSU. MSU isn't a bad school by any means, but Mizzou is a large land-grant, doctoral-granting, and statewide university, complete with a law, veterinary, and medical school, all right in Columbia. MSU is a primarily undergraduate college, and lacks all of the things I just mentioned about Mizzou. With regard to you field, I honestly have no idea which university is regarded higher.

Coming from South Mississippi, I think you'd like Springfield more than Columbia. Both towns have good, safe areas and schools with many parks. Springfield has a lot to offer, and may actually be a little cheaper to live in than Columbia.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 PM

Thank you for all the opinions and please keep them coming.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 PM

938 posts, read 3,229,049 times
One other thing you need to consider is establishing statehood for tuition purposes. It is generally easier to establish statehood for the UM system schools (like Mizzou) than it is for schools in surronding states, but you may still have to pay out-of-state tuition for a year or two. That would double the cost of your tuition to Mizzou.

It may be easier to establish residency if you attend MSU, or it the rules may be the same. Either way, it is something you need to consider, as it has a large effect on how much your education would cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri