Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 AM

15 posts, read 46,947 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm getting ready to head off to college, and I'm looking at different places to live post-college. (Already dedicated to college in Wyoming.) I'd like to raise rabbits, cattle or sheep, and bring my horses. I'm going to school to be an Ag teacher/FFA advisor. I want a warm place without a lot of snow, but not too hot to the point of uncomfortable. I can handle tornadoes, I'm from Michigan. Would Missouri be a fitting place to consider? Thanks for the help! (I'm also looking at other states, if you see this thread in another forum that's why.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Based on your post, I don't see why Missouri would not be a good fit for you. There is no way to be sure without visiting though. It sounds like you have a few years to consider things. Perhaps use your vacation time in between semesters if possible to visit the areas you are considering. A personal visit will tell you if a place might truly be right for you or not.
And if you don't want too much snow, you might want to keep to central or southern Missouri. I've only been here for a couple of years, but in the central/southern area, they seem to get less snow (but more ice). Long-time residents can share more perspective on this.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:22 AM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I would suggest a rural area around Columbia. You get the best of both worlds in mid-Missouri. The climate is moderate with milder winters than MI plus you are close to all the cultural amenities of MU as well. Also, I-70 cuts through the area so travel to other cities is much easier as well.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:17 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarpenter2010 View Post
Hi! I'm getting ready to head off to college, and I'm looking at different places to live post-college. (Already dedicated to college in Wyoming.) I'd like to raise rabbits, cattle or sheep, and bring my horses. I'm going to school to be an Ag teacher/FFA advisor. I want a warm place without a lot of snow, but not too hot to the point of uncomfortable. I can handle tornadoes, I'm from Michigan. Would Missouri be a fitting place to consider? Thanks for the help! (I'm also looking at other states, if you see this thread in another forum that's why.)
I'm not one who is willing very often to welcome outsiders to Missouri, but I'll almost always welcome an ag teacher. You'd like rural Missouri, and the pickup truck pictured on your profile will fit in well in the Ozarks.

Our weather might be a drawback. Although we had a pretty nice summer this year (I don't remember any days over 100 and only a handful in the 90s), we usually have swelter in July and August, along with drought. Winter can bring a lot of snow, although recent winters have brought us more ice than normal.

I'm amazed that a high school student is making long-range life plans. You sound like the kind of person Michigan wants to keep.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
I'm not one who is willing very often to welcome outsiders to Missouri, but I'll almost always welcome an ag teacher. You'd like rural Missouri, and the pickup truck pictured on your profile will fit in well in the Ozarks.

Our weather might be a drawback. Although we had a pretty nice summer this year (I don't remember any days over 100 and only a handful in the 90s), we usually have swelter in July and August, along with drought. Winter can bring a lot of snow, although recent winters have brought us more ice than normal.

I'm amazed that a high school student is making long-range life plans. You sound like the kind of person Michigan wants to keep.
Was that really you, OB-wan or is there an evil twin posting in your name? Well, we will be having a blue moon this month.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:00 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Was that really you, OB-wan or is there an evil twin posting in your name? Well, we will be having a blue moon this month.
I was thinking the same thing! Actually OB knows when to recruit and this kid sounds like a keeper.

I second the CoMo area but you should also look in to Southern Missouri, anywhere within 1 hour of Springfield or maybe up near Lamarr.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:33 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,383 times
Yes, it seems out of character for me to be kind to out-of-staters. Well, here's the reason: Two Missouri FFA chapters named me an Honorary Chapter Farmer, and my brother-in-law teaches vo-ag and is an FFA adviser. I admire ag education. In my opinion, vo-ag prepares young people for life and advanced education better than any college prep course.

Good FFA chapters are west and north of Springfield, which would include Lamar, as noted by Inoxkeeper. There are also good chapters in central Missouri.

By good, I mean chapters that receive a lot of parental and community support because local residents work in agriculture or have family working in agriculture. In Rolla we have an active FFA and the faculty are good, but agriculture is not a big deal here because this is not a farming community; it is an academic, scientific and government community.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Yes, it seems out of character for me to be kind to out-of-staters. Well, here's the reason: Two Missouri FFA chapters named me an Honorary Chapter Farmer, and my brother-in-law teaches vo-ag and is an FFA adviser. I admire ag education. In my opinion, vo-ag prepares young people for life and advanced education better than any college prep course.

Good FFA chapters are west and north of Springfield, which would include Lamar, as noted by Inoxkeeper. There are also good chapters in central Missouri.

By good, I mean chapters that receive a lot of parental and community support because local residents work in agriculture or have family working in agriculture. In Rolla we have an active FFA and the faculty are good, but agriculture is not a big deal here because this is not a farming community; it is an academic, scientific and government community.
Well, I won't have all the benefits of Missouri citizenship until mid-February but I can vote here and I vote for the OP for all the reasons stated!

Old 12-14-2009, 06:27 AM

15 posts, read 46,947 times
Wow I feel loved *blush* I really do want to get into the ag education though because I know a lot of people negelect to realize how important education of the next generation is. My former FFA advisor in Wyoming told me that it's a good field to go into in ag because of the demand. The only thing I'm worried about is being able to teach and raise my livestock at the same time.

Does anyone have any specific towns to visit? I think I might be accepted pretty well in Missouri.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
What size town are you interested in?
Is it important to you to be within so many miles/minutes of things like grocery shopping, hospital, WalMart, shopping malls, fine dining, lakes/rivers, airports, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri