Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:05 PM

137 posts, read 520,289 times

Advertisements

And why do you like it so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 11:29 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
Just in order of my familiarity with each--

1. Carlito's on the Business Loop here in Columbia, but you gotta know what to order. Stay away from the rice/beans/enchiladas usual Tex-Mex and order either carnitas tacos or beef rico tacos. The owner brought Mexican street food to the Midwest and it is GOOD. Closed weekends (!) and at 7 weeknights.

2. Lutz's BBQ in Jefferson City. Those trophies from the American Royal in his little place didn't just walk in there-- Mr. Lutz earned them. Their quality can be uneven and if you see their trailer at a function, don't bother ordering there-- it's just not the same. Also fine sides, including the semi-amazing scratch-cooked potato chips.

3. Stroud's in KC. Does having two locations qualify as being a chain? Not in my book. The best fried chicken in the universe, and sides of equal greatness.

4. Amighetti's on The Hill in StL (again, does having a second location make you a chain?). Again, don't get cute. Order the Special sandwich, share it with someone you love or at least like. Delightful.

5. O'Connell's Pub, also StL. Fantastic hamburgers, great roast beef, other goodness.

Chains are a necessary evil when I don't know the area well enough to seek out something good and local.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:15 AM

486 posts, read 1,034,922 times
Booche's in downtown Columbia. The Western burger is excellent.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:56 AM

140 posts, read 273,747 times
Alex's Pizza Palace in Rolla. Their pizzas are fabulous, and I like their gyros, too.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:01 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethP View Post
Alex's Pizza Palace in Rolla. Their pizzas are fabulous, and I like their gyros, too.
I second that motion.

I also like the baked taters at what is now called Tommy's Tater Patch (formerly Joe and Linda's Tater Patch), in particular the barbecued pork tater.

Another good place is the Missouri Hick Bar-B-Q in Cuba.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:33 PM

137 posts, read 520,289 times
I will have to try out some of these! Thanks!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:59 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
Rose's Schnitzelbank on Hwy 43 just north of Joplin. It's about 7 tables and a kitchen attached to the side of a riding stable. There is one table next to the riding arena if you want to dine al fresco.Rose is the owner and cook, and
a blustery, hearty German woman just like you hope. The food is authentic German and she will come out to chat with the patrons if she isn't too busy. My favorite is rinder rouladen, with spaetzle to soak up the rich broth, followed by German chocolate cake (no coconut on hers). When you are done, she is happy to let you visit the horses in the stable if you want. I have heard the Oktoberfest there is great. Open Friday and Saturday nights from 5-9.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:05 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
Mosiac-Washington Avenue, Downtown St Louis

Old 12-19-2009, 06:54 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Emmett's in Fayette: not your average small town food and very reasonable prices.
http://www.emmetskitchen.com/

Old 01-19-2010, 03:22 PM

6 posts, read 15,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonYellow View Post
And why do you like it so much?
I can't believe nobody put LAMBERT'S yet! There's one in Sikeston, MO and one near Springfield, MO (isn't it??)

Also, a little drive up dive called The Pig, in Fredericktown, MO. They have a sandwich called a "Combination" and they have reguar, double & triple, meaning, hot and hotter. It's smoked pork with hot cheese and hot sauce, smashed between 2 pieces of sandwich bread, toasted and they are SOOO good! "Triple combination and a large Pepsi with a little ice, thank you!" Bliss!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri