Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,830 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move into the area and are looking for any thoughts on the schools crime houses and if it has the big city stuff in the small town location. Thanks for you information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 AM

26 posts, read 25,367 times
Thumbs up Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsyturvey View Post
My family and I are looking to move into the area and are looking for any thoughts on the schools crime houses and if it has the big city stuff in the small town location. Thanks for you information
Interesting question..
I just moved into Savannah, Mo., in June, 2K9. Moved to the Mid-West from Amherst, New Hampshire. Quite a change~! Now to the town of Savannah.
The schools here are either just open, brand new HUGE and Spacious Middle School. The Savannah High School is alittle more than 10 yrs old (?) but extremely well kept, and very spacious~better than most you will find. The high school also shares/borders a huge 18 hole Golf course area, plus nice museum/ family park area here in town. The grade school is somewhat dated (within town) but is located on very large grounds, and has had numerous upgraded/new brick building additions.(not those trailers class-rooms). Other than this, I have no further info as I have no school age child in my house.
Crime rate is..extremely low from those that live with-in. There is a murder trial currently in progress. Individual was from St Joseph, Mo, and killed in an "remote area" outside of town but within the town limits. The is the main reason for the trial being conducted here. Also note, that Savannah, Mo., is the county seat for Andrew County, and as such, you're gonna see these sort of trail conducted here. Crime spree? No more, and certainly considerably less than any national averages. Most recent in the news are teen-ager related, who do the stupid things. (like break-in, steal smokes,etc) The Town law enforcements are modern, well trained, and have local co-operation with the county sheriff personals.
The answer to your last question is, yes. Be advise the Savannah "local town pride" (for good reasons) is to buy, and shop local~! The reasons are quite simple~ It keep the monies in the town and provides jobs for local residents. This helps keep the pride in living here in Savannah growing (folks like you who are interested in moving here.) Still, if you have to, you are within easy drive to almost anything you need.
Major airport is located just north of Kansas City-- MCI is without a doubt, the easiest major airport to get to and from. From Savannah, Mo..it's a straight shot down the interstate~Less than 45 minutes. Depends on driving/traffic/weather.
The average cost of living here is: 22% less than the nation average. My taxes on my home here is less than 1,000$ for the year 2009. In New Hampshire, it was 6000$ per year for a comparable home.
If I can be of any further help, feel free to contact`!
ciao
RDP

Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
What "big city stuff" are you looking for?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogPatch View Post
Interesting question..
I just moved into Savannah, Mo., in June, 2K9. Moved to the Mid-West from Amherst, New Hampshire. Quite a change~! Now to the town of Savannah.
The schools here are either just open, brand new HUGE and Spacious Middle School. The Savannah High School is alittle more than 10 yrs old (?) but extremely well kept, and very spacious~better than most you will find. The high school also shares/borders a huge 18 hole Golf course area, plus nice museum/ family park area here in town. The grade school is somewhat dated (within town) but is located on very large grounds, and has had numerous upgraded/new brick building additions.(not those trailers class-rooms). Other than this, I have no further info as I have no school age child in my house.
Crime rate is..extremely low from those that live with-in. There is a murder trial currently in progress. Individual was from St Joseph, Mo, and killed in an "remote area" outside of town but within the town limits. The is the main reason for the trial being conducted here. Also note, that Savannah, Mo., is the county seat for Andrew County, and as such, you're gonna see these sort of trail conducted here. Crime spree? No more, and certainly considerably less than any national averages. Most recent in the news are teen-ager related, who do the stupid things. (like break-in, steal smokes,etc) The Town law enforcements are modern, well trained, and have local co-operation with the county sheriff personals.
The answer to your last question is, yes. Be advise the Savannah "local town pride" (for good reasons) is to buy, and shop local~! The reasons are quite simple~ It keep the monies in the town and provides jobs for local residents. This helps keep the pride in living here in Savannah growing (folks like you who are interested in moving here.) Still, if you have to, you are within easy drive to almost anything you need.
Major airport is located just north of Kansas City-- MCI is without a doubt, the easiest major airport to get to and from. From Savannah, Mo..it's a straight shot down the interstate~Less than 45 minutes. Depends on driving/traffic/weather.
The average cost of living here is: 22% less than the nation average. My taxes on my home here is less than 1,000$ for the year 2009. In New Hampshire, it was 6000$ per year for a comparable home.
If I can be of any further help, feel free to contact`!
ciao
RDP
Amherst, NH to Savannah, MO? WOW!!!

I couldn't think of two more polar opposite places, and I am quite familiar with both of them.

Yes, Amherst is pretty expensive, but is easily one of the nicest towns in NH with a median household income of 120K. The property tax burden is high, but not terribly out of line with respect to income there. Savannah, MO is good for those that like a place with a very low cost of living, but lower wages. The advantage being that it is about one hour to the KC metro which does offer a more diversified range of employment.

What led you to Savannah, MO?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsyturvey View Post
It is right up the road from St. Joe. That area is generally good with a lot of houses in rural areas. Expect a 50 minute plus commute to the northern KC metro. Andrew County is not particularly diverse, but has seen a bit of in-migration of people from St. Joe.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 23,828 times
Are you crazy? Why in the world would you want to move to Savannah, MO.? Amherst, NH.? RedDogPatch, why did you choose Savannah over Amherst, NH? Do you have family in the area? If not, I can think of many other attractive places to live. If you need help, let me know.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,239 times
Anyone reading this currently. Savannah, is at risk for a LARGE hog confinement just 2 miles from town!! This really disappoints me. I have lived here since kindergarden. I have always loved my town, until this. We are hoping the County Commissioneer's and the Andrew County Health Department will get a logical Health Ordinance in place within the next 30 days. So our towns health and housing will not suffer from this. This hog confinement has the potential of 10,000 hogs on this plot of land North of the Savannah High School and Our great golf course. You must go see this area for yourselves. Take C hwy. north about 2 miles and make a right turn on county road 187, then proceed past the owner(joe Knorr's house)13162 county road 187, and it will be around 2 small corners on the right in an empty pasture. Not to mention passing by his "old)
" hog establishment's that didn't make it 3 yrs. ago. So we need everyone in the community to make those calls to the county commis. and health department, to save this once know BEAUTIFUL town. thanks, and please act fast

Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles2010 View Post
Anyone reading this currently. Savannah, is at risk for a LARGE hog confinement just 2 miles from town!! This really disappoints me. I have lived here since kindergarden. I have always loved my town, until this. We are hoping the County Commissioneer's and the Andrew County Health Department will get a logical Health Ordinance in place within the next 30 days. So our towns health and housing will not suffer from this. This hog confinement has the potential of 10,000 hogs on this plot of land North of the Savannah High School and Our great golf course. You must go see this area for yourselves. Take C hwy. north about 2 miles and make a right turn on county road 187, then proceed past the owner(joe Knorr's house)13162 county road 187, and it will be around 2 small corners on the right in an empty pasture. Not to mention passing by his "old)
" hog establishment's that didn't make it 3 yrs. ago. So we need everyone in the community to make those calls to the county commis. and health department, to save this once know BEAUTIFUL town. thanks, and please act fast
MO is up among the worst states for allowing huge CAFOs. A lot of it stems from a complete lack of zoning and next to no regulations. I always tell people to research CAFO locations before moving to rural areas of MO, but one is never safe these days...

Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,839 times
There is a community organization calling themselves "Concerned Citizens of Andrew County" who are actively opposing this ridiculous CAFO purportedly coming to town. If you want to help fight this CAFO, join this organization! We must all fight together to keep this monstrosity out of our town. If you go out and look at the Knorr farm, you will see that it looks rather shabby and they do have the reputation of having very poor farming skills. They are known to have the worst run farm in our county and should be the last persons allowed to introduce a 10,000 hog CAFO near our town.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 AM

26 posts, read 25,367 times
Default Totally opposite, not..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Amherst, NH to Savannah, MO? WOW!!!

I couldn't think of two more polar opposite places, and I am quite familiar with both of them.

Yes, Amherst is pretty expensive, but is easily one of the nicest towns in NH with a median household income of 120K. The property tax burden is high, but not terribly out of line with respect to income there. Savannah, MO is good for those that like a place with a very low cost of living, but lower wages. The advantage being that it is about one hour to the KC metro which does offer a more diversified range of employment.

What led you to Savannah, MO?
"GraniteStater", Quite simply, pure economics. I totally agree with your assessment, the two towns are "quite polar" in outward appearances. Colonial Amherst Village, is a living, breathing national treasure, on the level of Colonial Williamsburg. Only better~ Because it's all original~! (Most people don't realize that Williamsburg was all rebuilt by the Rockefeller in the 1930's.) Where they do differ is this: Amherst larger, (over 10k population), and Savannah is half the size in population.The houses, and building lots are much larger, both in size/cost in Amherst. Having said that, I should add this. There's actually numerous towns in NH, which are as charming to live in..Unfortunately, many do not support a decent job market for living there. Most folks have to commute to a distant job for decent employment. Since I am now retired, that was not a issue. I wanted to scale down my home base cost. This would allow me to travel the country in my RV. I had once lived in Hermann, Mo during the late 60's, and actually like the region. It's not NH but, I do get back often, as I still have a family (my son, and his family) living in Jaffrey Center, NH.
Crime rates, in both towns, are quite similar. In both towns, my experiences has been: I have never been afraid to walk during the night.
The police force is very much the same in size. The fire station, apparatus almost identical in all aspects. For me, almost the same distance from both fire station. I lived in Amherst for nearly 38 yrs. (1971 TO 2009) and was witness to much change. People, came and went, every 5 yrs perhaps. It's fair to say the town's population turned over 40% every 4/5 yrs. The middle school, high school in Amherst is, quite simply, the top 10 in the nation. It has a most impressive college bound success rate, in excess of 90 plus percent. (Both high schools initials are SHS~~!!)
Savannah was settled in the mid 19th century(1842) , and has a much more recent history, compared to Amherst Colonial (1732) lineage. The homes in Savannah are, while well built, are modest. Savannah's home lots are extremely small (80x160), in comparison to Amherst (2 acre minimum), but considered normal for any in town living. You do get to know your neighbors~!
I do enjoy having a paved roads out in front of my house, and also having sidewalks to walk. The people are friendly here, everyone waves to each other. I know more people here, personally, than I ever did in all the years of living in Amherst. Being a member of the Savannah City Council likely helps too. lol.
With a son living in AZ, and the other son in NH, this has proven to be an ideal spot, giving the central location/total cost package, for my lifestyle.
Has it been easy? NO..It took the better part of the first year to adjust my body's clock to a MID WEST life cycle. I do so miss seeing the "sun rise" over the ocean's horizon.
Cost: Who knows?? it's still being measured.
Adjustment: A long history of military family lifestyle, and experiences with constant moving, had prepared me. You adjust, life is what you make of it.
This "spaceship" only passes by once~!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri