U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 08:07 PM

26 posts, read 110,941 times
Default Paper Carrier looking 2 start life....Plz reply, thanks

Well, I've basically made up my mind. Of the few places left MO stands out and anywhere fits all my basic needs.

So, if you all would please try to help me narrow MO down by my most important need, my carreer, that would be much appreaciated.

I have tried contacting the 4 main (is there only 4 or is 4 to many lol) papers and if I recall right a couple of them responded a couple didnt of those that did they asked me where I lived, well I havent moved yet so I am open and then they didnt reply after that.

So, maybe you all can help me?

1. How many main MO papers are there?

2. What is the range of each one as far as Home-Delivery goes? Just the city its HQ in or all-state or something in btwn?

3. If delivered in a bigger region than a Metro Area is there more than 1 print place? Do out of area get papers real early and get paid for drive time? Do the papers get delivered to distrubution centers? What about comperable salary towards in area home deliverers.

4. Is there a difference in the way carriers etc are treated btwn papers? aka get papers @1am or 2:30am regularly, ideas taken seriously, better wages etc

5. Is there a paper of the main ones that stands out in quality? competent writers, lots to read, good ideas etc

6. How is Sunday handled? Any paper come to the carrier complete? How much extra time is given that day to get papers to customers if we have to put them together?

7. Do cops realize we as carriers know how to drive careful but efficent and let us be? We drive on both sides of the road, sometimes speed esp when it is a long time btwn throws, hop up on sidewalks, park where its most convient even if in a designated parking spot for a car (not emergency though)

Thanks so very much,
Samantha Isabella
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 08:43 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,846,547 times
I think it depends on the area .. I don't live there YET

but ST. Louis Post Dispatch is the one paper that comes to mind.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:12 PM

145 posts, read 449,831 times
1. The most major papers are St. Louis Post-Dispatch (as DeborahWade mentioned), Kansas City Star and Springfield News-Leader.
7. Treatment by the cops will vary by city/region; it's hard to answer q's like that not having an area to base it on.
Sorry I can't answer any of the other q's, haven't been or known any paper carriers...good luck

Old 05-24-2007, 03:15 AM

355 posts, read 826,892 times
Question Really...

[quote=druth8x;764948]
Quote:
7. Do cops realize we as carriers know how to drive careful but efficent and let us be? We drive on both sides of the road, sometimes speed esp when it is a long time btwn throws, hop up on sidewalks, park where its most convient even if in a designated parking spot for a car (not emergency though)

Thanks so very much,
Samantha Isabella
In this state you will be expected to obey the traffic laws. There are no exemptions for paper carriers that I can find. Speeding, driving left of center, and driving on sidewalks, hmmm.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:51 PM

26 posts, read 110,941 times
Thanks Deborah so the thre papers arent home delivered state wide then? I wonder if there is an area where all 3 are home delivered and that I would be able to pick them all upand deliver all 3 instead of just one...I am sure many ppl get 2 or more or neighbors of one get another one.

la_missourienne, so Jefferson's paper is a tier 2 paper as far as state-wide is concerned, ok so top three not top 4, thanks.

crashcrop, la_missourienne and everyone else reading this, including officers of the law: We as carriers do know how to drive and are very careful and will change what we do if we see traffic of any sort. We dont hang out on the wrong side of the road, we go all the way to the parking side and only for a few seconds to throw if the neighbor is three doors down we go back to the correct side. We really arent out to disobey laws or rely on the officers if they see us to look the other way, but if there is noone to half a dozen ppl and cars the whole time we are delivering, and we keep our ears and eyes open we are actually safer than most everyone driving during the light. We are required to get the papers to the household b4 a certain time and I do not blame them for calling in and complaining no paper, which we get charged much for and only a few of those and we may as well not do the route cause we wouldnt get any money then. We are very skilled drivers (after only a few days of delivering you either are/become one/or quit) Most of the time we go 15-20 or less in 25mph zones and in trailer/rv parks 10-15 is as fast as we get. when driving and not delivering aka btwn sections which we reroute as much as possible so we avoid anything longer than 30sec btwn throws we might go faster than the posted speed if we realize we know where obstacles of any kind can come from and know where our outs are to avoid them. we do not go to much faster and when theres any cars or ppl we do the posted. as far as sidewalks, well, tubes are often placed on their side of the road (cant reach it from car - through the car - if we drive on the correct side nor would getting out and walking make sense as it takes way to long and we do not get paid enough to take a much much smaller route) and if there is a sidewalk its up there accessible by walking or hopping up on the sidewalk for a second...now I only do that if its rounded off and I make sure noones walking near there. True cops can and have ticketed carriers but at least from what Ive heard most tickets get thrown out and most cops do know we are just doing our job and realize the law wasnt made for us while doing our route, not during it we are like any other citizen but while doing it at night when virtually noones out in the nighborhoods as long as we stay safe and w/i reason we are ok.

I really hope you see more insight into why I had that question in the first place it is not to find locations where I can be reckless but where cops realize that we arent being reckless just doing our job.

Now, if the MO cops truly do apply the law to carriers delivering btwn 1am and 6am as hard as they do regular ppl in daylight which is very strict then I really hope that the paper bumps our per throw wage etc so we can afford to drive properly or get out and run. It is a car route not a bike or walk route.

BTW, if anyone here would plz contact their carriers for me that would be much appreaciated.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:22 PM

145 posts, read 449,831 times
1. I didn't mention anything about Jefferson's paper, so why is that comment addressed to me? I don't know anything about tiers of papers, nor did I claim to, either; was just trying to give you the names of the most major papers I am aware of in the state so that you could have perhaps something to plug in to search engines (so much for my effort to help...).
2. Don't appreciate your comment on driving being addressed with my name specifically as though I accused you of something--I didn't.
3. Crashcop's reaction to your question was quite valid based on the way you presented it. This response also had no air of accusation, it simply highlighted what you asked and was answered according to an officer's type logic--and yet, you directed your response to this person as well--why???
Quote: We as carriers do know how to drive and are very careful and will change what we do if we see traffic of any sort.
Based on this logic, you are implying it is ok to break the traffic laws when you're being careful; this means the law would excuse those people that run red lights at night "because there is no traffic around and they are being careful" and those drivers that choose to race on what they believe to be abandonned streets, since there is no one around and surely they "know how to drive", too. Sorry, but it's hard for me to imagine any law enforcement manual that indicates "exceptions to be made for cases where the subject (driver) is 'being careful' when breaking written code".

If you have to break traffic laws in order to deliver papers to the standards of the paper for which you are working, it is an issue to take up with the paper companies, not with law officers. If you need a place to vent your frustrations on this issue (which it seems you do, no offense meant, we all need to vent), that's fine, but it's not very nice to do so when you address it towards the people of a board and name specific members that have done nothing against you. The board is intended to be used to share information about cities/states and help people and that is what I (and it appears crashcop, too) was trying to do for you--that's all. Sorry you didn't see it that way, but once again, I'll make a feeble attempt to help you:
Response to the part at the beginning of your post asking about areas (PLZ, don't take anything the wrong way or think I am trying to sound like an expert because I am NOT claiming that): most people I know of only get home delivery of their local paper and/or the most major paper closest to where they live if it is available. I'm not so sure that home delivery is actually available for all three in any area (unlikely based on mileage, but again, I don't know for sure!); however, many grocery stores and such do carry all three statewide (at least the parts I've visited anyhow). Again, good luck anyhow with the paper companies and finding carriers here in MO to talk with.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:46 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,430,533 times
Some times you just have to sit back and shake your head. I'm trying to wrap my mind around a special "newspaper delivery person exemption" to the state vehicle code. Too funny. I'm not even going to attempt to address all of the absolutely ridiculous points that the OP brought up but I will say this...a law enforcement officer should and hopefully would cite you for every vehicle code violation he/she witnessed while you are behind the wheel of a 2000+ lb hunk of metal. I have no idea where you came across information that newspaper delivery people get citations thrown out of court...based on what? I can just hear the judge now....scolding the LEO...."how dare you cite this newspaper delivery person for driving on the sidewalk!" LOL!! Frankly I'm ready to throttle the yahoo that throws my paper right now as it's apparent the skills required to tie the end of the plastic bag to keep my paper dry when it is raining has completely escaped this person. Hey I really don't mean to give you a hard time honest...... but sheeesh.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:50 AM

355 posts, read 826,892 times
[quote=druth8x;770762]

Quote:
crashcrop, la_missourienne True cops can and have ticketed carriers but at least from what Ive heard most tickets get thrown out and most cops do know we are just doing our job and realize the law wasnt made for us while doing our route,
In 25 years I have never seen a traffic ticket dismissed because the driver was just "doing there job". I my jurisdiction the patrol cars are often to busy with calls for sevice at this time of the morning to stop traffic violations, but that does not mean they condon the actions.

The law is enacted for everybody. Personally I have never observed a paper carrier driving left of center, or on the sidewalks.

Quote:
Now, if the MO cops truly do apply the law to carriers delivering btwn 1am and 6am as hard as they do regular ppl in daylight which is very strict then I really hope that the paper bumps our per throw wage etc so we can afford to drive properly or get out and run. It is a car route not a bike or walk route.
0100-0400 prime time for drunks and accidents. MO uses the point system, after about 3-4 tickets you will be suspended, then driving will not be a problem. What kind of advanced driving courses are available to paper
delivery drivers that qualify them as an expert?

To answer another question, The KC Star, is the only paper I have seen delivered door to door on the West side of the state. I also believe the carriers have an organized contract with the Star.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:37 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,430,533 times
To address your original question (sorry I can't edit my first post) the News Leader in the Springfield area seems to always be looking for newspaper delivery people. I have no idea what the going rate is for someone in this line of work but you can contact them here:

Human Resources HR@news-leader.com (417) 836-1218

Old 05-25-2007, 12:23 PM

54 posts, read 208,133 times
the Hannibal courier post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri