Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Missouri: Joplin, duplex, buy a house, new home, transplant.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:41 PM

27 posts, read 143,579 times

Advertisements

Well, I made it out to Joplin and I made it back. I found a duplex in Joplin and I purchased it. It was a long week, I looked at so many house's I thought I was going to go crazy. But after an intensive search... I finally found something I think is a good investment.
I found Joplin a nice city, with nice people. I experienced a thunder and lighting storm that made me sit up and take notice. It's been many years since I've seen that kind of thunder and lighting. I'm sure there are probably more intense storms I will incounter. It was however exciting.
I was really surprised that they still have smoking and nonsmoking section's. Another interesting thing was there were no "don't drink and drive signs," no "buckle up signs," and "do not litter signs," on the freeways. Perhaps it's because the folks in Missouri don't need to be told what to do, unlike the people in the Northern and Eastern parts of the United States.
I was a bit surprised at the religiousness of the area. Not that it's a bad thing, but it still surprised me. I guess the midwest is still considered the bible belt. Perhaps church is considered more a social community issue, than the hell and damnation I was raised in. Frankly, I never could buy into that whole control of the church. No offense to anyone please...It's just that I've been there and it wasn't a place I was fond of. But once again...everyone is entitled to their own views and beliefs.
I'm looking forward to my journey out to Missouri. We will be leaving here the end of June and driving across the country. I do hope the weather will be nice to us. I do hope to meet many of you one day. I'd like to have a party once I've gotten settled in, I think that would be fun.
Thank you all for being so kind and thoughtful, and for all the wonderful information you have so graciously provided me with. I look forward to hearing from you all....Wionee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 02:10 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
Well congratulations on your new home in Missouri! We have recently relocated out here from CA and love it! I know nothing about Joplin but have driven through there a few times and I'm sure you will enjoy it there. It's kinda strange but I had heard all about the "religiousness" of this area and to tell you the truth I haven't been bible thumped once in the seven months we've lived here. Now on the other hand it was almost a daily occurrence in Cali that the door bell would ring (they ignored my "do not ring the bell" sign) and the JWs would be standing there ready to preach. I think MO is about ready to pass a seat belt law that allows the police to pull you over simply for not wearing it. Our city just recently passed a no smoking ordinance so there will no longer be smoking sections in restaurants. One of the first things we noticed here is the lack of litter compared to the so Cali area we used to live in. It was common to find old TVs, fridges, sofas, tires and bags of trash everywhere. Nothing even close out here. Well, again welcome to the great state of MO and I hope you keep us up to date on the haps!!

Old 05-25-2007, 02:57 PM

63 posts, read 273,384 times
Congrats and welcome! I can't believe you didn't see a "buckle up" sign. I could have sworn I saw some on I44. It could have been in Oklahoma though.

Good luck with everything and welcome to the 4 States!

Old 05-25-2007, 03:00 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
Well congratulations on your new home in Missouri! We have recently relocated out here from CA and love it! I know nothing about Joplin but have driven through there a few times and I'm sure you will enjoy it there. It's kinda strange but I had heard all about the "religiousness" of this area and to tell you the truth I haven't been bible thumped once in the seven months we've lived here. Now on the other hand it was almost a daily occurrence in Cali that the door bell would ring (they ignored my "do not ring the bell" sign) and the JWs would be standing there ready to preach. I think MO is about ready to pass a seat belt law that allows the police to pull you over simply for not wearing it. Our city just recently passed a no smoking ordinance so there will no longer be smoking sections in restaurants. One of the first things we noticed here is the lack of litter compared to the so Cali area we used to live in. It was common to find old TVs, fridges, sofas, tires and bags of trash everywhere. Nothing even close out here. Well, again welcome to the great state of MO and I hope you keep us up to date on the haps!!
Hey da jammer mind of asked where you decided to transplant in MO? Are you happy there? and Why? if you don't mind sharing.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Hey da jammer mind of asked where you decided to transplant in MO? Are you happy there? and Why? if you don't mind sharing.
kareybear we landed a few miles south of the city of Nixa. Love it here!! As a native of northen Ohio but a resident of southern Cali for the last 40 years I thought the winter was gonna be a little rough here. Not so! Not one day chased me into a pair of long pants and I think I wore my brand spankin' new jacket (first one I have bought in prolly 20+ years) maybe twice all winter. My wife says it's because I am "touched"? I don't really know what she means by that This area is just gorgeous. Our property is three acres, about half and half trees and grass. House is 4K sq ft 5 bed 3 bath. Right now there are five families on about 100 acres in this subdivision and it will takes years to fill out. The schools are top notch and uncrowded, the drivers out here are courteous, the restaurants are just OK but rarely crowded (we can go up to Springfield for some fancy pants eateries when we want), and overall just a great change from the craziness of CA. Oh and it's kinda cool not having a big ole honkin' water bill every month

Old 05-25-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
kareybear we landed a few miles south of the city of Nixa. Love it here!! As a native of northen Ohio but a resident of southern Cali for the last 40 years I thought the winter was gonna be a little rough here. Not so! Not one day chased me into a pair of long pants and I think I wore my brand spankin' new jacket (first one I have bought in prolly 20+ years) maybe twice all winter. My wife says it's because I am "touched"? I don't really know what she means by that This area is just gorgeous. Our property is three acres, about half and half trees and grass. House is 4K sq ft 5 bed 3 bath. Right now there are five families on about 100 acres in this subdivision and it will takes years to fill out. The schools are top notch and uncrowded, the drivers out here are courteous, the restaurants are just OK but rarely crowded (we can go up to Springfield for some fancy pants eateries when we want), and overall just a great change from the craziness of CA. Oh and it's kinda cool not having a big ole honkin' water bill every month
hummm interesting. I looked on google earth map and looks like the town is not very small. What is the population there?It is hard tell you if you got rolling hills there or is it mostly flat land and are there a lot of farm homes there as well with acres?

Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
hummm interesting. I looked on google earth map and looks like the town is not very small. What is the population there?It is hard tell you if you got rolling hills there or is it mostly flat land and are there a lot of farm homes there as well with acres?
Nixa has a population of about 12,500-13,000. I would say the town itself (total lame guess here) is about 8-10 square miles?? City proper would be fairly flat but we are in some gentle rolling hills. I was gonna post a satellite pic of our place but some weenie hacked my son's website where it is hosted so I'll have to do it later.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Nixa has a population of about 12,500-13,000. I would say the town itself (total lame guess here) is about 8-10 square miles?? City proper would be fairly flat but we are in some gentle rolling hills. I was gonna post a satellite pic of our place but some weenie hacked my son's website where it is hosted so I'll have to do it later.
That would be great see picture when you have a chance. Have a great weekend.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
That would be great see picture when you have a chance. Have a great weekend.
I'll start a new topic on that. I feel like we have hijacked our friend wionee's thread! I'm sorry wionee, we'll get back on track! Keep us up to date on the move Oh and I hope everyone has a good weekend too.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:17 PM

58 posts, read 180,404 times
Smile wionee

I've been stalking these sites for months now & I've searched for you since your last post that you were going to Mo. Please keep us posted as you have time...I hate when someone gets us going, then never returns. I'm born & raised NW Mo. transplanted to Austin Tx 1984 now returning for the big retirement party ( which I hope is soon). Have been looking at Joplin for awhile, family lives still in NW Mo (Maitland, Graham, New Point, Maryville) so not sure where I'll hang my hat. Good Luck with your new life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri