U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-19-2011, 11:12 PM

23,443 posts, read 17,996,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
I think you mentioned him before.

I thought your family fought for both sides?
I've spoken of the Union cavalry officer, but not his son.
They did fight on both sides, this is my moms moms side of the family I just spoke of, on my moms fathers side of the family, they had the plantation at White House, AR, they migrated up to MO after the Civil War.
My maternal grandmother was a walking encyclopedia of family history, I still have tapes of her talking about it that I havent transcribed yet, fascinating stuff, as much of it has to do directly with the history of MO.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,388,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
My maternal grandmother was a walking encyclopedia of family history, I still have tapes of her talking about it that I havent transcribed yet, fascinating stuff, as much of it has to do directly with the history of MO.
That's neat that you have that kind of stuff! I've had to do alot of family research on my own. Learning about the region came from talkin to old folks & doin my own research. I remember my grandfather being alive till I was about 11 years old. He was a Welshman (4th generation even) and he was very hard to understand (He had a very thick mountain dialect that us grandkids weren't used to).

I have trouble finding family history pre-civil war era. I suppose many records were lost during the war. (My family lived in TN & Louisiana at the time)

Old 07-20-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
That's neat that you have that kind of stuff! I've had to do alot of family research on my own. Learning about the region came from talkin to old folks & doin my own research. I remember my grandfather being alive till I was about 11 years old. He was a Welshman (4th generation even) and he was very hard to understand (He had a very thick mountain dialect that us grandkids weren't used to).

I have trouble finding family history pre-civil war era. I suppose many records were lost during the war. (My family lived in TN & Louisiana at the time)
Your grandfather sounds like some of the very old German folks of Ste Gen, they spoke with thick German accents, even though their families had been here for over 100 years.
Many of the kids I went to school with spoke German at home.
Unfortunately, mine was the last generation to do so.
Funny thing, the German they all speak is frozen in time, its a 19th century version that modern Germans have a hard time understanding.
Lol, I love this kind of stuff, I'm such a nerd!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:11 PM

15,399 posts, read 21,482,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
This is a valid point. However I would stop short of grouping the Ozarks to places such as Kentucky & Tennessee, two states that are classic examples of the Upland Southern experience. I consider the Missouri Ozarks to be quite a distinct, and neat region that blends both the South & Midwest with it's own unique flair.
The Missouri Ozarks are very similar to parts of Kentucky culturally.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Perhaps the far eastern part of KY, but actually, not really.
I saw more differences than similarities.
I was in Somerset not long ago, and that just reiterated that the 2 are just not that similar.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 PM

12,062 posts, read 19,228,576 times
Quote:
Perhaps the far eastern part of KY, but actually, not really.
I saw more differences than similarities.
I was in Somerset not long ago, and that just reiterated that the 2 are just not that similar.
What kind of differences did you see? I have family from that area, but don't know it as well as the Ozarks.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
What kind of differences did you see? I have family from that area, but don't know it as well as the Ozarks.
Both my 1st and 2nd husbands families are from eastern KY, while my moms side is from the Bootheel/Ozarks area.
Food would be one difference, the way they speak would be another, the Ozarks has a completely different set of colloquialisms and expressions than E KY, the accent is even different.
One of the most important things I noticed was styles of traditional music.
The Ozark fiddling style is still heavily influenced to from the early French settlers in MO, while in E KY its much more English.
Also, and this is very hard to explain, the mindset is just different, dont know how to explain it better than this, I hope you understand what I mean by that.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:57 PM

543 posts, read 426,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Maybe the eastern part where it's hilly but not the other parts. The Ozarks are kind of like the smokey mountains of TN IMO.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:51 PM

543 posts, read 426,157 times
My aunt used to have a house on Bullshoals less than 5 miles from the AR border. Gainesville, Bullshoals area, Theodosia didn't seem to have any midwest flavor at all. Seemed all southern down there. It seems to me in the Ozarks once you get within 50 miles from the Arkansas border, it's Dixie.

Bullshoals, TableRock, Taneycomo don't feel Midwest to me.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:02 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,388,197 times
Quote:
Your grandfather sounds like some of the very old German folks of Ste Gen, they spoke with thick German accents, even though their families had been here for over 100 years.
Many of the kids I went to school with spoke German at home.
Unfortunately, mine was the last generation to do so.
Funny thing, the German they all speak is frozen in time, its a 19th century version that modern Germans have a hard time understanding.
Lol, I love this kind of stuff, I'm such a nerd!
Yeah within a year or two before he died I remembered being able to understand him pretty well. To this day I can watch interviews of people from the mountains out east and I can understand them almost perfectly. I also picked up a bit of that flavor in my dialect I've been told.

A few older German folks that I work with from the New Wells/Altenburg area have a German influence in their speech. However, the Germans from eastern Cape County generally don't have that influence in their speech. I've met maybe one person that does & even then it's very slight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri