Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 09:03 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I've been to Western KY many times, and I know all about "Hillbilly" country, such as Shannon, Dent, Reynolds & Iron (7 people per square mile!) Counties in the Ozarks. Taking down road signs isn't as rare or uncommon as you may think, as it happens even around here . Hell right up the road there is a PAVED road that doesn't exist according to numerous GPS systems. I don't even own a GPS system anyway in anything. lol
There are roads in my neck of the woods in MO that only exist if you know about them.....that goes for down here in FL, too.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
I've been to Western KY many times, and I know all about "Hillbilly" country, such as Shannon, Dent, Reynolds & Iron (7 people per square mile!) Counties in the Ozarks. Taking down road signs isn't as rare or uncommon as you may think, as it happens even around here . Hell right up the road there is a PAVED road that doesn't exist according to numerous GPS systems. I don't even own a GPS system anyway in anything. lol

I'm no stranger to the mountain culture, as much of my ancestry is part of it with a bit of Louisiana flair as well
Shannon, Dent, Reynolds, and Iron are almost prosperous compared to the eastern Kentucky coal counties. It really is an entirely different world there and is unbelievably insular as well as detached from everything. Poverty rates in eastern Kentucky are over 40% in some counties and over 30% in many others. Much worse than any area of MO. I would like to say that the coal area of KY will turn things around, but the area is just so dysfunctional and in such a mess that I have a hard time envisioning it. Then, you have the horrid issue of mountaintop removal mining to make everything in those areas even worse...

Old 07-20-2011, 09:09 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
There are roads in my neck of the woods in MO that only exist if you know about them.....that goes for down here in FL, too.
That is why a numbered grid system of roads is so incredibly boring (like most of Kansas City).

Old 07-20-2011, 09:15 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Shannon, Dent, Reynolds, and Iron are almost prosperous compared to the eastern Kentucky coal counties. It really is an entirely different world there and is unbelievably insular as well as detached from everything. Poverty rates in eastern Kentucky are over 40% in some counties and over 30% in many others. Much worse than any area of MO. I would like to say that the coal area of KY will turn things around, but the area is just so dysfunctional and in such a mess that I have a hard time envisioning it. Then, you have the horrid issue of mountaintop removal mining to make everything in those areas even worse...
Right and I agree with what your saying. Missouri only has two counties on the 100 poorest counties in the US, and one of them is Shannon.
My point in the previous posts is that I consider the Ozarks to be a unique region that mixes the lower midwest & the upland south with it's own unique flair in almost every aspect of it's culture. However, the Bootheel is still the poorest part of the state by a considerable margin.

And while they may have numbered the roads, the actual locals still call them by their old names.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 PM

543 posts, read 855,472 times
Quote:
Some of the counties in the lead belt region of SE MO are rather poor and depressed. Look at Iron county. People live a rough life there, and drug addiction, and alcoholism runs high along with rural poverty.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Right and I agree with what your saying. Missouri only has two counties on the 100 poorest counties in the US, and one of them is Shannon.
My point in the previous posts is that I consider the Ozarks to be a unique region that mixes the lower midwest & the upland south with it's own unique flair in almost every aspect of it's culture. However, the Bootheel is still the poorest part of the state by a considerable margin.

And while they may have numbered the roads, the actual locals still call them by their old names.
Its really quite sad when one considers the sheer natural beauty of Shannon County.
Of course, if it were developed, the danger of that natural beauty would be severely compromised.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
That is why a numbered grid system of roads is so incredibly boring (like most of Kansas City).
Here in Ocala, they have a numbered grid system, very boring, and redundant.
For example, I live on a Street Road.
Yes, it has a street and a road designation.
Dont even get me started about the fact that the road system is quartered up into SE, SW, NE, NW with the same numbered streets, let alone the fact that the streets dont all connect up, its beyond ridiculous.
I've lived here 21 years and I still get lost on occasion, the woman in my GPS just laughs when that happens.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:37 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Here in Ocala, they have a numbered grid system, very boring, and redundant.
For example, I live on a Street Road.
Yes, it has a street and a road designation.
Dont even get me started about the fact that the road system is quartered up into SE, SW, NE, NW with the same numbered streets, let alone the fact that the streets dont all connect up, its beyond ridiculous.
I've lived here 21 years and I still get lost on occasion, the woman in my GPS just laughs when that happens.
Dear Lord my bad, I thought we were discussing county roads

Old 07-20-2011, 09:40 PM

543 posts, read 855,472 times
Would you consider places like Table Rock, Theodosia, Gainsville, West Plains to be only upland south?

I've been down in that area around hwy 60 many times and it doesn't feel midwestern.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Dear Lord my bad, I thought we were discussing county roads
City AND county!
You have no idea, its seriously F'd up here.
I live out in the county, waaaay oout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri