Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 09:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Some of the counties in the lead belt region of SE MO are rather poor and depressed. Look at Iron county. People live a rough life there, and drug addiction, and alcoholism runs high along with rural poverty.
You seem to have something against Iron County.
Theres nothing wrong with it that doesnt affect other counties.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:42 PM

543 posts, read 855,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You seem to have something against Iron County.
Theres nothing wrong with it that doesnt affect other counties.
Just saying it's worse there.

Overall you see a lot of rebel flags in the iron county area. I would include that in ozark culture, upper south.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Just saying it's worse there.

Overall you see a lot of rebel flags in the iron county area. I would include that in ozark culture, upper south.
Worse than where?
I was in Iron County once a week for 4 months last year, I didnt see any Rebel flags.
We also played them regularly in football, basketball, volleyball and track in when I was in school ( I was in band, we went with the teams), and we went over there to party on a regular basis.
No flags.
I'm calling BS on this.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Worse than where?
I was in Iron County once a week for 4 months last year, I didnt see any Rebel flags.
We also played them regularly in football, basketball, volleyball and track in when I was in school ( I was in band, we went with the teams), and we went over there to party on a regular basis.
No flags.
I'm calling BS on this.
Also there was a news story right after the election about how Obama won IRON county, and they showed rebel flags on doors, ect. Then again even in Jefferson County I've seen people with them when I worked at a bank there.

I guess they were those "Rednecks for Obama" lol. I know in Ike Skelton's district they had a Rednecks for Obama group. Didn't work to well this time in his district as ole Ike got the boot!!

Ever come across this site. Seems like it's ran by some liberal fruit loop.

Ozarkopathy.org | Home

Old 07-20-2011, 11:46 PM

Some of these quote crack me up lol.

Genuine Missouri Ozark Quotes

Old 07-21-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Also there was a news story right after the election about how Obama won IRON county, and they showed rebel flags on doors, ect. Then again even in Jefferson County I've seen people with them when I worked at a bank there.

I guess they were those "Rednecks for Obama" lol. I know in Ike Skelton's district they had a Rednecks for Obama group. Didn't work to well this time in his district as ole Ike got the boot!!

Ever come across this site. Seems like it's ran by some liberal fruit loop.

Ozarkopathy.org | Home
Save the liberal vs conservative BS for the P&OC forum.
I have noticed that you havent worked up the nerve to post there yet.
This thread is about Missouri, as has been pointed out to you about a gabillion times.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:54 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,623 times
My husband and I just got back from visiting our family in KC. We spent some time in St. Louis and had a blast! Anyway, I've lived in CA my whole life and moved to Nashville 6 months ago. We both agreed that it seemed Missouri was definitely midwestern and not southern, yet no one had that midwestern accent. I have family in MN and he has family in IA and they have STRONG accents.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
My husband and I just got back from visiting our family in KC. We spent some time in St. Louis and had a blast! Anyway, I've lived in CA my whole life and moved to Nashville 6 months ago. We both agreed that it seemed Missouri was definitely midwestern and not southern, yet no one had that midwestern accent. I have family in MN and he has family in IA and they have STRONG accents.
I can hear an accent in and around STL, but it's not the same accent as in MN. It's more like what you'd hear in Chicago. But I actually hear a lot more neutral accents that you'd hear in any city across America, it almost makes you forget what region you're in. When I bring my friends from Memphis up to St. Louis, I usually ask them how the people sound, they usually say "they just sound normal"

Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Thats because you were in the wrong part of the state.

If you were in Cape, Sikeston, New Madrid, Caruthersville, Poplar Bluff you would hear southern accents.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I can hear an accent in and around STL, but it's not the same accent as in MN. It's more like what you'd hear in Chicago. But I actually hear a lot more neutral accents that you'd hear in any city across America, it almost makes you forget what region you're in. When I bring my friends from Memphis up to St. Louis, I usually ask them how the people sound, they usually say "they just sound normal"
again memphis is a major city. It seems major cities lack southern accents.

Times I've been to Atlanta did not hear much in the way of a southern accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri