Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 06:39 PM

223 posts, read 334,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I have no animosity towards Kansas what so ever. If there is some bad blood between the two still I suppose my family showed up to the party too late for that. Like I said my corner of the state has no exposure to half of the states that Missouri borders (Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Iowa).
Nice to hear and you're in an area I read up on and look at pictures of quite a bit. I'm looking forward to doing some traveling over there and really get to know it.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:52 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks Crescent Mural View Post
Nice to hear and you're in an area I read up on and look at pictures of quite a bit. I'm looking forward to doing some traveling over there and really get to know it.
Well like I said in a previous post Lamberts is a must! I ate there Saturday & had a two hour wait to get in but it was worth it. Everyone talks to everyone on the big front porch & you meet people from all over the country. I recall seeing about 8 or 9 different state license plates in the parking lot. Weekdays usually don't have as much of a waiting time, however.

Let us know when you decide to come out our way and we'll set you up with all kinds of things you need to go see. Much enjoyment in the bootheel & SE Missouri is related to the outdoors & just talking to people. The most fun thing I do down here is duck hunt every winter.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM

223 posts, read 334,414 times
Quote:
Well like I said in a previous post Lamberts is a must! I ate there Saturday & had a two hour wait to get in but it was worth it. Everyone talks to everyone on the big front porch & you meet people from all over the country. I recall seeing about 8 or 9 different state license plates in the parking lot. Weekdays usually don't have as much of a waiting time, however.

Let us know when you decide to come out our way and we'll set you up with all kinds of things you need to go see. Much enjoyment in the bootheel & SE Missouri is related to the outdoors & just talking to people. The most fun thing I do down here is duck hunt every winter.
Thanks, I'll take you up on that info. I'll be in touch. I'll be back in SWMO in October and need to make a trip to drop off a keyboard I promised to someone over in Texas County for her chimpanzee (MO is one of the few states where you can have a chimp). If the weather is holding up and I'm up for it, I may just do my planned SEMO trip then. I'll let you know. I'm bookmarking this page, so I can find your post again.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:53 PM

543 posts, read 855,352 times
Quote:
I never heard about the Missouri vs. Kansas thing until recently, but I live on the FAR eastern side of the state & pretty far south. Lots of different loyalties to college sports teams around here.....Mizzou, U. of Arkansas, and U. of Kentucky are probably the three most popular universities when it comes to sports, in no particular order.
It's not as big as it used to be. Even Claire McCaskill on her website comments about it on the About Missouri section.

A long time ago at the Mizzou vs Kansas games fans would wave Confederate Battle flags.

The Missouri, Kansas hatred thing dates back to before the civil war over slavery.

THB, Missouri bordeers KY, TN, AR all fellow southern states that at the time had the same political views as many Missourian's over slavery unlike other side of the state with Kansas. Hence why tensions were high with Kansas.

But year I was reading a newspaper article about the KS vs MO rivarly and it mentioned many in the stands would wave battle flags. I guess due to MO being pro slavery.

If they waved them today the NAACP would go nuts. Just look at Ole MS getting rid of their Mascout!!!!

Someone in this thread posted about a high school in Southeast MO that has a rebel Mascout just like Ole Miss. DOn't remember the school.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:33 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
It's not as big as it used to be. Even Claire McCaskill on her website comments about it on the About Missouri section.

A long time ago at the Mizzou vs Kansas games fans would wave Confederate Battle flags.

The Missouri, Kansas hatred thing dates back to before the civil war over slavery.

THB, Missouri bordeers KY, TN, AR all fellow southern states that at the time had the same political views as many Missourian's over slavery unlike other side of the state with Kansas. Hence why tensions were high with Kansas.

But year I was reading a newspaper article about the KS vs MO rivarly and it mentioned many in the stands would wave battle flags. I guess due to MO being pro slavery.

If they waved them today the NAACP would go nuts. Just look at Ole MS getting rid of their Mascout!!!!

Someone in this thread posted about a high school in Southeast MO that has a rebel Mascout just like Ole Miss. DOn't remember the school.
If Missouri's political leanings were with the southern states that it borders, then how come in 1860 Breckinridge lost in Missouri? Missouri went for Douglass, not Breckinridge or Bell.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
If Missouri's political leanings were with the southern states that it borders, then how come in 1860 Breckinridge lost in Missouri? Missouri went for Douglass, not Breckinridge or Bell.
If you look at the election results Douglass BARELY won by just a few hundred votes.

Problem was Breckenridge took votes away from Bell. kinda like the Cy Young a couple years ago When Wainwright and Carpenter split the vote, causing both of them to lose. Same thing with Perot in 1992 took Bush votes way and gave us Slick Willie!

Hilarious Lincoln only won TWO counties in Missouri lol. He wont stl county but most of those votes were from the city since the city was part of the county back then.

This is a pretty neat site I came across.

Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections

Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
The Bootheel is part of the Mississippi Delta, and pulls much of it cultural influence from areas south of there. The Bootheel is usually defined as the entire portions of Dunklin, Pemiscot, New Madrid, & Mississippi Counties. Eastern Butler County, Scott County, Stoddard County, and bordering areas in bordering counties are also sometimes considered part of the said region. As I've stated before if you want to hear the delta accent listen to the online police scanners for Dunklin & Pemiscot county. It sounds absolutely nothing like anywhere else in Missouri. (I also posted some videos some pages back showing some of the accents of the eastern half of Missouri)

If you visit the Bootheel, you MUST eat at Lambert's in Sikeston. Otherwise your trip was a waste!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oh man.....I LOVE Lamberts!!!!
i'm handing off a dog on transport in sikeston on saturday.... JUST in time for lunch at Lamberts......

Quote:
STL has come a long way in the last 30 years as far as preserving the architecture, one only has to look at Lafayette Square, Soulard, Dogtown, TGS, just to name a few.
To say that the city is falling apart is a lie.
Missouri in general has done a fine job of preserving its past, I offer up Sainte Genevieve as a premier example.
yes.... this is VERY true.... particularly in the 25 years that i have lived here......

Old 08-03-2011, 02:06 AM

Here is a ok map. Except Perry County should be labled Midwest, and the red area should be extended further west to cover Neosho, joplin.

I guess Joplin could feel more like Oklahoma.

Except the southern parts of the Ozarks just north of US60 onto the Arkansas border I dunno if I would compare to West Virginia. It seems more like TN, north Georgia mountianish. West Virginia just doesn't feel that southern.

near US60 is dixie, and WV just doesn't feel Dixie, heck parts of WV are further north than the most north place of Missouri.

But otherwise places shaded red like Rolla would be considered upper southish.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
No, its not right, this has been said over and over again ad nauseum.
The map Gunner amended and posted a few pages back was the best representation of where Missouri becomes Southern.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
No, its not right, this has been said over and over again ad nauseum.
The map Gunner amended and posted a few pages back was the best representation of where Missouri becomes Southern.
It was ok but he only did it for southeast Missouri, not the other parts of southern MO.

So you're saying Branson NOT southern, then cross the border 5 miles down the road is 100 percent southern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri