U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 PM

631 posts, read 629,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
I came across some liberal bycicylist blog and the lady complained about seeing a house in the MO Ozarks with FIVE battle flags on it.
Quote:
I had a teacher in my summer class this semester from Iowa and he always would state how Missouri is totally different than Iowa and very little like it and to him it seemed more southernish.
I really wish our college professors would spend less time sharing their personal opinions, and use valuable class time to teach their students the little things in life - like how to spell. Bycicylist??

I imagine I might be a little annoyed if my neighbor's house had FIVE US flags flying off of it, unless they were running a museum or flag store - so complaining about FIVE rebel flags - not really that hard to understand.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:52 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,389,320 times
Quote:
I had a relative who had a house down on Bullshoals just under 5 miles from the AR border so I've driven down into Arkansas before. You can't really tell any difference in the people really. Seemed Ozarkish to me. Now when you get more south into the foothills of the ozarks deep into Arkansas then yes that's totally different than most of MO except the bootheel. But the Arkansas ozarks I don't notice any difference from Missouri Ozarks from near US 60 and below. Gainesville Missouri seems southern to me, and doesn't feel midwester. same with Thayer, Branson, Nixia, Ava and many other areas near or below US60.

And yes MO is much more of a southern state than IL is. those are just two counties in IL. I wouldn't say they're more southern than Poplar Bluff, Sikeston, New Madrid or Kennett, Hayti.

Of course you can't compare rural Montana to Missouri as to being the same. MO will have much more Confederate flag flying hillbillies than Montana. Even IL is more southern than Montana lol. Montana has very little in the way of settlers from the south compared to MO.

I had a teacher in my summer class this semester from Iowa and he always would state how Missouri is totally different than Iowa and very little like it and to him it seemed more southernish. He mentioned the bible belt Baptist, and how to him Missourian's seemed to speak with a slower draw compared to Iowa. While the differences are subtle, there are still traces of Missouri's past history still present in the state. Which it would take a northern whos not native to Missouri to notice unless you go down to SE MO or deep in the ozarks..

I don't know if my teacher has ever been to Southeast Missouri, especially below Cape. He would really think it's a strange place down there compared to Iowa.
You completely missed the main point of my reply. Someone that lives out in the country isn't necessarily a southerner, so quit trying to justify calling someplace southern because it's "redneck" and "hickish". There are tons of "rednecks and hicks" in Perry County, doesn't make it southern at all.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 PM

543 posts, read 426,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
You completely missed the main point of my reply. Someone that lives out in the country isn't necessarily a southerner, so quit trying to justify calling someplace southern because it's "redneck" and "hickish". There are tons of "rednecks and hicks" in Perry County, doesn't make it southern at all.
True. Now Perry county still probably maybe 5-7 percent southern if you include southern transplants from other areas of Missouri, and people who consider themselves southernern decent.

Im trying to say MO is much more southern than Montana, Iowa, IL, KS ect.

What is interesting is why is Ste Gen Democrat, but Perry County is heavily Republican when the demographics are similar? Now I could see why if Ste Gen was Dixiecrat like Dunklin or Pemiscott counties, but they're not so why is it Perry county is heavily Republican terriroty? People from like SW MO moving there? Trying to figure it out.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:55 PM

596 posts, read 460,610 times
Missouri is a Midwestern state, with the exception of the very southeast part of the state. Once you go south of Cape and especially into the Bootheel, it's Dixieland for sure. The Ozark National Scenic Riverways area is also very Southern. It's pretty to go canoeing down it, but you're the Northerner if you canoe instead of tube, haven't gotten halfway through your first case of beer by yourself by 10:00 am, and wear a life jacket instead of just a wifebeater or no shirt at all.

However, many people in the Upper Midwest (the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan) consider Missouri to be Southern since a typical Missourian doesn't have the Minnesooooooota accent. After living in Missouri as well as a couple of upper Midwest states and one Southern state, most of Missouri is definitely Midwestern. Here's why:

- Missourians can't go deer hunting with buckshot and dogs as it is illegal, nor do very many go "coon huntin'." Noodling (hand catching of) fish is also illegal in Missouri.
- Missourians don't panic and crash their cars when there is a snow flurry. There actually has to be an inch of snow on the ground for them to do that.
- Grits, chitlins and hominy don't show up on very many menus in Missouri.
- Dixie horns are rare in Missouri, and when present, are nearly always installed a joke.
- The alcoholic beverages of choice in Missouri are beer and wine, not whiskey. Missourians also call whiskey "whiskey" and not "bourbon" like a real Southerner would.
- There are several popular high school sports in Missouri, not just football.
- Mizzou is in the Big 12, not the SEC. That's about enough all in itself to not make Missouri a Southern state right there.
- The entire town doesn't close on Sunday in Missouri like they do in the South.
- There are only a handful of Waffle Houses and no Krystal's in Missouri. Chick-Fil-As are also not all that common.
- Country music is on every other station Up North now, too.
- A soft drink is a pop or a soda, not a coke.
- "Greasy" in Missouri does not rhyme with "easy."

Old 08-11-2011, 04:59 PM

215 posts, read 157,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
Missouri is a Midwestern state, with the exception of the very southeast part of the state. Once you go south of Cape and especially into the Bootheel, it's Dixieland for sure. The Ozark National Scenic Riverways area is also very Southern. It's pretty to go canoeing down it, but you're the Northerner if you canoe instead of tube, haven't gotten halfway through your first case of beer by yourself by 10:00 am, and wear a life jacket instead of just a wifebeater or no shirt at all.

However, many people in the Upper Midwest (the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan) consider Missouri to be Southern since a typical Missourian doesn't have the Minnesooooooota accent. After living in Missouri as well as a couple of upper Midwest states and one Southern state, most of Missouri is definitely Midwestern. Here's why:

- Missourians can't go deer hunting with buckshot and dogs as it is illegal, nor do very many go "coon huntin'." Noodling (hand catching of) fish is also illegal in Missouri.
- Missourians don't panic and crash their cars when there is a snow flurry. There actually has to be an inch of snow on the ground for them to do that.
- Dixie horns are rare in Missouri, and when present, are nearly always installed a joke.
- The alcoholic beverages of choice in Missouri are beer and wine, not whiskey. Missourians also call whiskey "whiskey" and not "bourbon" like a real Southerner would.
- Mizzou is in the Big 12, not the SEC. That's about enough all in itself to not make Missouri a Southern state right there.
- The entire town doesn't close on Sunday in Missouri like they do in the South.
- There are only a handful of Waffle Houses and no Krystal's in Missouri. Chick-Fil-As are also not all that common.
Love this!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Speaking of Missouri, I will be there tomorrow afternoon!!!!!!
I may be a little late, but have fun!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Gainesville Missouri seems southern to me.
I used to work at Rockbridge and I was in Gainesville all the time. Sorry, but I beg to differ. Gainesville doesn't feel much Southern to me at all.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks Crescent Mural View Post
Love this!
I've had to think about it a bit since I got the whole "you're a Southerner" bit after moving to the Dakotas. They think of Southerners about the same way that Missourians think of Arkansas, so some rebuttal of why Missouri is NOT Southern was certainly needed.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:12 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,389,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post

For the bolded comments, speak for yourself bud. In my part of the state those are incorrect. I live about 10 miles north of Cape. But I understand much of the state isn't like this. Good points however

I know some so called "Midwestern" Germans that are "Fixin to go coon huntin". It's also nice to have some Bourbon to keep you feelin warm and cozy while your doing so! My main sport at my high school was football, hands down. We went to state in my last two years of school.

Also, not sure how you pronounce "greasy" without it sounding like "easy"....

Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
For the bolded comments, speak for yourself bud. In my part of the state those are incorrect. I live about 10 miles north of Cape. But I understand much of the state isn't like this. Good points however
I said Cape is the Mason-Dixon line in Missouri; looks like I was off by only 10 miles

"Bourbon" in most of Missouri is a town in Crawford County. Somebody from down south did take a video of the water tower and said "Man, I wish!" in a drawl and sent it in to America's Funniest Home Videos though.

"Greasy" is pronounced like "Greece" the country with an extra "e" at the end. There is no "z" sound anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri