Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Can you imagine if North St. Louis county, and north St. Louis didn't exist how RED this state would be?
Pssssssttttt......your racism is showing!
You sure you werent in Ste Gen recently on a Sunday morning?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:13 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The Southern (PB) part of my family always makes dumplings with chicken, that being said, have you ever gone to Ste Gen to eat and had liver dumplings?
Totally unique to the area, and before you say ewwwwwwww, they are divine!
http://www.visitstegen.com/files/Ess...Dumplings.html
Another thing that makes MO so special, in my humble opinion.
Never even heard of them. I will have to keep them in mind on my next trip up that way

Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 PM

543 posts, read 855,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Blame it on the blacks.

Your final graph is entirely political and completely outside the bounds of this forum. I think we're about done here, no?
How is that racist saying that? It IS A fact that area is heavily Democrat, but also a lot of voter fraud comes from the city.

It has been going on for years. Everyone knows voter fraud in St. Louis exist. Look at ACORN.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:05 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Never even heard of them. I will have to keep them in mind on my next trip up that way
The Anvil is the best restaurant in town, imho.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,190 times
I have noticed quite a few towns and counties with french sounding names along the miss. river, Ste-Genevieve, Cap Girardeau, Belgique, St-Francois are clearly french and a slew with names that could be either french or english.

Are those places where the early explorers only left their name and not much else or were there sizable french settlers there?

If yes then were the settlers catholics like in LA or french protestant Huguenots like in the Carolinas and Virginia?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
I have noticed quite a few towns and counties with french sounding names along the miss. river, Ste-Genevieve, Cap Girardeau, Belgique, St-Francois are clearly french and a slew with names that could be either french or english.

Are those places where the early explorers only left their name and not much else or were there sizable french settlers there?

If yes then were the settlers catholics like in LA or french protestant Huguenots like in the Carolinas and Virginia?
Yes. Some places have retained a very unique French-German flair (Ste. Genevieve) while others really don't retain any influence from the city founders (New Madrid & Cape Girardeau for the most part). New Madrid sounds spanish; however, it was actually founded by the French if I'm not mistaken.

For the rest of your question, I will leave it to a certain expert on the Mississippi River Hills Region to answer it .

Old 08-29-2011, 07:16 PM

662 posts, read 1,227,622 times
Quote:
Yes. Some places have retained a very unique French-German flair (Ste. Genevieve) while others really don't retain any influence from the city founders (New Madrid & Cape Girardeau for the most part). New Madrid sounds spanish; however, it was actually founded by the French if I'm not mistaken.

For the rest of your question, I will leave it to a certain expert on the Mississippi River Hills Region to answer it .
I don't think I am that expert, but I can answer the question.

Missouri had changed hands several times before it became part of the U.S. It was first claimed by France in 1682 by LaSalle as part of the Louisiana Territory. A large number of French settlers settled the region and gave their settlements French names. Spain won the Louisiana Territory in 1762 after the British beat the French in the French and Indian Wars. Spain gave control of the Louisiana Territory back to the French in 1800 for a pittance as they knew they would not be able to keep the Americans from settling in the territory. Napoleon came to the same conclusion as the Spanish three years later and sold the land to the United States as the Louisiana Purchase.

New Madrid was founded by American settlers in 1788, during the time Spain was in control of the territory. Apparently, its name has always been pronounced differently than Madrid, Spain, which would suggest the Spanish influence was small to nonexistent.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
I don't think I am that expert, but I can answer the question.

Missouri had changed hands several times before it became part of the U.S. It was first claimed by France in 1682 by LaSalle as part of the Louisiana Territory. A large number of French settlers settled the region and gave their settlements French names. Spain won the Louisiana Territory in 1762 after the British beat the French in the French and Indian Wars. Spain gave control of the Louisiana Territory back to the French in 1800 for a pittance as they knew they would not be able to keep the Americans from settling in the territory. Napoleon came to the same conclusion as the Spanish three years later and sold the land to the United States as the Louisiana Purchase.

New Madrid was founded by American settlers in 1788, during the time Spain was in control of the territory. Apparently, its name has always been pronounced differently than Madrid, Spain, which would suggest the Spanish influence was small to nonexistent.
Yes it is pronounced properly as New Mad-rid.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 PM

662 posts, read 1,227,622 times
Quote:
Yes it is pronounced properly as New Mad-rid.
Many places in Missouri are pronounced "differently." I can think of several others off the top of my head- Milan, Japan, Versailles, La Plata, Beaufort, Rolla, and Nevada. I'm sure there are more. I suppose it's a way to tell who's From Around Here and who's not. There are other states with some names like that (such as New Berlin, WI and Pierre, SD) but I haven't run into nearly as many as in Missouri.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:33 PM

543 posts, read 855,046 times
So what do you think about Mizzou thinking about joining the SEC?

While I do consider Missouri to be a southern state also, Columbia isn't really in the southeast.

Now if Mizzou was located in Cape, Sikeston, New Madrid then I'd say that would be a good fit because geographically they are nearly in the southeast.

Btw why don't they like to call it "Border war" anymore? I think they're trying to be PC. Long time ago the Kansas Mizzou football games were pretty intense. Fans would even wave battle flags in the stands.

Can you imagine if that happend today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri