Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 12:21 AM

6 posts, read 93,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
I've lived in the State all my life and I consider all of Missouri to be a Southern State. It has to do with my family's history as relates back to their allegiances during the civil war. This was in NW Missouri, home to Jesse James, Quantril and Bill Anderson. These men were noted and notorious Confederates and my family and the communities in the area sympathized with the anti-Union (anti-Jayhawk) leaders. A strong sense of Dixie has been instilled in me as a matter of family history.

Plus, we have great BBQ from KC to the Bootheel. We eat everything fried - including catfish... if that ain't southern, I don't know what is. I think the bootheel is below the Mason-Dixon.(?) and that area is Southern by any definition. But I don't see being Southern as a question of mere Geography. Florida is a good example. Geographically I consider Missouri to be midwest.
THE MASON-DIXON LINE, IF EXTENDED WESTWARD FROM MARYLAND, PASSES NORTH OF ST. LOUIS AND KANSAS CITY, ABOUT THE LATITUDE OF HANNIBAL

Old 07-15-2007, 12:31 AM

Don't know if my message came through...I don't see it...please, Missourians and southerners, get an atlas...the Mason-Dixon line divides Pennsylvania from Maryland, and if extended westward it would pass north of Cincinnati, St. Louis and Kansas City, about the latitude of Hannibal and St. Jo...

Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcvonbargen View Post
Don't know if my message came through...I don't see it...please, Missourians and southerners, get an atlas...the Mason-Dixon line divides Pennsylvania from Maryland, and if extended westward it would pass north of Cincinnati, St. Louis and Kansas City, about the latitude of Hannibal and St. Jo...
The Mason-Dixon Line

Someone obviously hasn't done their research very well

"Over fifty years later, the boundary between the two states came into the spotlight with the Missouri Compromise of 1820. The Compromise established a boundary between the slave states of the south and the free states of the north (however its separation of Maryland and Delaware is a bit confusing since Delaware was a slave state that stayed in the Union). This boundary became referred to as the Mason-Dixon line because it began in the east along the Mason-Dixon line and headed westward to the Ohio River and along the Ohio to its mouth at the Mississippi River and then west along 36 degrees 30 minutes North."

Now what was that you were saying about St. Louis, Cincy, Hannibal, and KC, and most of Missouri being south of the Mason-Dixon? in fact, the Missouri Compromise prohibited slavery in the vast majority of Missouri...only in those portions south of the 36 degree 30 minutes north line was slavery legal, and, truth be told, economically warranted. And in any case, I think the Mason-Dixon line where the Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Delaware border is concerned is incorrect today. I think that Delaware and Maryland belong in the Northeast and that the Mason-Dixon line should be modified to be the Maryland-Virginia border. The rest of the definition I think is very accurate, especially since I've crossed it in all the aforementioned places.

Last edited by ajf131; 07-15-2007 at 11:34 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
The Mason-Dixon Line

Someone obviously hasn't done their research very well

"Over fifty years later, the boundary between the two states came into the spotlight with the Missouri Compromise of 1820. The Compromise established a boundary between the slave states of the south and the free states of the north (however its separation of Maryland and Delaware is a bit confusing since Delaware was a slave state that stayed in the Union). This boundary became referred to as the Mason-Dixon line because it began in the east along the Mason-Dixon line and headed westward to the Ohio River and along the Ohio to its mouth at the Mississippi River and then west along 36 degrees 30 minutes North."

Now what was that you were saying about St. Louis, Cincy, Hannibal, and KC, and most of Missouri being south of the Mason-Dixon? in fact, the Missouri Compromise prohibited slavery in the vast majority of Missouri...only in those portions south of the 36 degree 30 minutes north line was slavery legal, and, truth be told, economically warranted. And in any case, I think the Mason-Dixon line where the Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Delaware border is concerned is incorrect today. I think that Delaware and Maryland belong in the Northeast and that the Mason-Dixon line should be modified to be the Maryland-Virginia border. The rest of the definition I think is very accurate, especially since I've crossed it in all the aforementioned places.
As far as eating everything fried, I disagree. Maybe in your part of the state. And barbeque and fried are two different things. In fact, frying is not confined to the South. Fish frying is popular in places like Wisconsin. Your arguments are ludicrous. and as far as those few men being anti-Jayhawk, they were not representative of the state as a whole at all. Your basis is strictly because of the area you live in, and you are DRASTICALLY oversimplifying the state as a whole to be just like the extreme Southern part of the state you reside in. Missouri supported the Union in overwhelming numbers compared to the Confederacy. There is not much Southern culture that I see present in most of Missouri except in the area and parts you reside in. Sorry Most of the Southern arguments I see being made are proving pretty easy to counter and disprove

Old 07-20-2007, 06:02 PM

14 posts, read 72,543 times
De Bonit--a lot of city employees live in the I-29/Barry Road area (which is considered North Kansas City.) This way, they can still live in a nice area and still live in KC, MO. Hope that helps!

Old 07-21-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Mason-Dixon Line of the Southern states, Missouri is mostly in the same latitude as Virginia and Maryland, and whether s

I was saying "the east-west Mason-Dixon line is not a true line in the geometric sense, but is instead a series of many adjoining lines, following a path between latitude N 39º 43' 15" and N 39º 43' 23".....Cincinnati, St. Louis and Kansas City are SOUTH of that line. The latitude of that line is about the same latitude as Hannibal and St Jo...one of my points is that the Mason-Dixon Line is not the only determinant of what is North or South...but if it were, most of Missouri is SOUTH of that latitude. Yes, the boundary between North and South west of Pennsylvania was the Ohio River as far west as the Mississippi River. Then Missouri was admitted as a slave state...ALL of Missouri, and Missouri was a part of the Old South...slavery was common in the hemp growing areas along the Missouri River...St Louis was one of the largest slave markets in the United States. The 36 30 latitude only applied to future states admitted to the Union after Missouri...the abolitionists won the argument and were able to prohibit slavery north of the southern boundary of Missouri (not including the bootheel)...Have you read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn? Of course you will remember them going across the river from Hannibal where the people owned slaves to the free state of Illinois...Then you'll remember the Compromise of 1850 that declared the Missouri Compromise unconstitutional opening the territory of Kansas to slavery..."bleeding Kansas"... and all Missourians know what a Jayhawker is...they were abolitionists in Kansas who came over the Missouri line and burned Missouri slaveowners' property...then there was Dred Scott a Missouri slave who was ruled still a slave by the Supreme Court because even though he had lived in Illinois he was from the slave state Missouri...George Washington Carver was born a slave in Diamond Missouri...etc. etc. etc...so again, my point is, the Mason-Dixon divided North from South in the east...the division between North and South further west is another story and doesn't really have anything to do with the Mason-Dixon line, but just for the sake of the argument for those who think of Missouri as being north of the Southern states, Missouri is mostly in the same latitude as Virginia and Maryland, and whether somebody thinks of Maryland as northeast of Middle Atlantic (the Weather Channel calls Virginia the northeast!) it was part of the Old South and was just as segregated as the rest of the South until the 1950's etc...

Old 07-21-2007, 10:54 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,982 times
Oh for Heaven's sake...Missouri MUST be a Southern state. Why, mah every issue of Southern Living includes mah home state, Missouri. We be south

Old 07-21-2007, 11:46 PM

Yes, thank you.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:53 PM

I think the Mason-Dixon line where the Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Delaware border is concerned is incorrect today. I think that Delaware and Maryland belong in the Northeast and that the Mason-Dixon line should be modified

Novel idea, while you're at it maybe you would want to move the equator too.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Oh for Heaven's sake...Missouri MUST be a Southern state. Why, mah every issue of Southern Living includes mah home state, Missouri. We be south
Excuse me? Midwestern Living includes us in every issue of their magazine. Missouri is not a Southern state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri