Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 06:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfella View Post
okay everybody why dont you let the people from missouri say what it is im from southern missouri and i never felt like it was the south but i lived in tn for 3 years and one thing i do notice our accents are very very similar basically the same but when i go to south carolina they dont sound nothing like folks from tn i mean does drinking sweet make a state the south lol that sounds so stupid i love sweet tea and allmost everybody i know in missouri drinks sweet tea im from southern MO and when i go to saint louis folks sound juss like me use the same slang same accent and i mean i dont notice no differnce till i moved up here on the east coast were people say im so country or say i sound like im from down south it get so annoying but point of the matter is its the mid west yes southern part has rolling hills lol but missouri is the mid west it falls under that catergory i mean if you think bout it where right next to the south maybe thats why people consider it so southern but to me tn and missouri has alot in common examples some of the southern missouri housing looks alot like the housing in tn we even have some of the same apartments. african americans like myself pronouce there heres, theres, and hair like hair and here would come out like hur or her like i need to get my hur done or why wont you come over hur and there would come out as thur or you it just does i dont know why and anotha one is i never say you dont lol it allways comes out as yen like yen gotta do that but tn and mo have those in common and like i said even in saint louis we have the same accents but point of the matter is im from southern mo and i still never got that down south feeling thats just me but i know alot of folks from southern mo like the boot heel and juss swear its the south but its the midwest point blank period nothing wrong with the south cause i love the south half my family resides in the south but point blank period missouri is a country mid west state and i love it
You posted the exact same post in another thread.......we got it the first time!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,890 times
I’m from Cape Girardeau county and all I have to say is, that you go 45 miles north of the city of Cape Girardeau and it starts to become more "Midwestern". You travel 10miles south on I-55 from Cape, top the Benton hill, into the flat lands it’s like being down in Southeast Tennessee (culturally). The people are different and so is the way they talk (to northern Missouri folk). Southeast is Missour-AH, is where I was born and raised and I can’t really stand any other part of the state. (IMO)It’s like Southwest, South Central, and Southeast Missourah; are related, with the northern part of the state, but were step brothers. If yall don’t understand chances are you’re not from Southern Missourah.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourahbackwoods View Post
I’m from Cape Girardeau county and all I have to say is, that you go 45 miles north of the city of Cape Girardeau and it starts to become more "Midwestern". You travel 10miles south on I-55 from Cape, top the Benton hill, into the flat lands it’s like being down in Southeast Tennessee (culturally). The people are different and so is the way they talk (to northern Missouri folk). Southeast is Missour-AH, is where I was born and raised and I can’t really stand any other part of the state. (IMO)It’s like Southwest, South Central, and Southeast Missourah; are related, with the northern part of the state, but were step brothers. If yall don’t understand chances are you’re not from Southern Missourah.
I have been saying that forever! I am from Ste Genevieve County, my mamas people are from Butler County. I agree wholehearedly with everything, except the Missourah thing, but to each his own, right?

Old 07-07-2009, 03:44 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
I thought this thread was closed. In any case, I agree with both Midwestfella and MissourahBackwoods 100%.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:00 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Missouri was a Southern state in the century before the previous one. The state Legislature, in exile in Neosho, in 1861 passed a resolution of secession, but the Union army showed up and put a fraudulent government in that Lincoln recognized instead. The Confederates recognized Missouri as one of their own, though, and one of the 13 stars in the Stars and Bars and the Southern Cross represents Missouri.

Now, though, times have changed and Missouri is a mixed state, so I think of it as a Midwestern state with heavy Southern influences.

Other states are changing, too. I was talking at work the other day at lunch with a New Hampshire native who is here because her husband is in the military and is assigned to Fort Leonard Wood. She had also lived in North Carolina and Virginia; she said neither of them are very Southern. The cities aren't southern at all, she said, although there are pockets of southernness in rural areas. I guess too many Yankees have moved down there. Thanks to diversity of cultures, the states have become homogenized and lost their southern heritage, I suppose.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missourahbackwoods View Post
im from south east mo and i never say missourah i mean i say missouri but it comes out as misserrrrrr hard to explain but i really dont see the difference between folks accents from northern MO then southern MO maybe because im african american and african americans accents are differnt then caucasians i guess but i use to go to springfield all the time to the battle field mall cause we aint got no malls were im from and no way aint never thought of springfield was the south i dont like southern MO its so boring and every body swears its the south yes we got alot stuff in common but its not the south i get so sick of people posting stuff like southern mo has identity crisis and even when i moved to poplar bluff the boys i went to school with from PB would allways say there from PB the south lol its like they wanted to be the south so bad but there not its the midwest and missouri folks sound so dumb saying there from the south when they lived in mo there whole life but point of the matter is missouri is considerd the midwest

Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfella View Post
i get so sick of people posting stuff like southern mo has identity crisis and even when i moved to poplar bluff the boys i went to school with from PB would allways say there from PB the south lol its like they wanted to be the south so bad but there not its the midwest and missouri folks sound so dumb saying there from the south when they lived in mo there whole life but point of the matter is missouri is considerd the midwest
You think they are bad in the Bluff, go spend time in Rombauer, Quilin, or Fisk. Those folks are still fighting the Civil War, creepy!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Missouri was a Southern state in the century before the previous one. The state Legislature, in exile in Neosho, in 1861 passed a resolution of secession, but the Union army showed up and put a fraudulent government in that Lincoln recognized instead. The Confederates recognized Missouri as one of their own, though, and one of the 13 stars in the Stars and Bars and the Southern Cross represents Missouri.

Now, though, times have changed and Missouri is a mixed state, so I think of it as a Midwestern state with heavy Southern influences.

Other states are changing, too. I was talking at work the other day at lunch with a New Hampshire native who is here because her husband is in the military and is assigned to Fort Leonard Wood. She had also lived in North Carolina and Virginia; she said neither of them are very Southern. The cities aren't southern at all, she said, although there are pockets of southernness in rural areas. I guess too many Yankees have moved down there. Thanks to diversity of cultures, the states have become homogenized and lost their southern heritage, I suppose.
Have to disagree here. Missouri might have allowed slavery, but it didn't economically require it and it was heavily divided over the issue pretty much from day one. The state legislature was never accounted for in all of its members and not much in the way of documentation exists to say how legal the secession ordinance really was, and the state convention was always aligned with the Union...a secession wasn't legitimate unless the state convention approved it. The Union didn't install a fraudulent government, the state convention declared all the offices vacant because the government fled practically to Arkansas...much of this had to do with its place in the state at that time...most Missourians were not pro-secessionist like the governor was, and the governor, Claiborne Jackson, wasn't even originally from Missouri...he was from either Kentucky or Virginia. Comparing Missouri to Virginia and North Carolina is not even close to a valid comparison. North Carolina and Virginia when I was there seemed pretty Southern. They have never been political swing states...they have almost always leaned red. Missouri, however, is a swing state. North Carolina is solidly Southern. The Confederates recognized Missouri because of the rump secession ordinance, the same thing with Kentucky, although Kentucky definition leaned more Southern after the war. Regardless, Missourians were overwhelmingly more pro-Union than pro-secession. At any rate, I would agree Missouri has Southern influences, but as to how heavy they are depends on which part of the state you are in. The further south you go in Southern Missouri, the more apparant they become. There isn't much southern influence in the Northern half of the state, or in St. Louis and Kansas City.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:50 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post

In the Civil War period Missouri was actually a border state, never declaring for either the North or South. It was, however, the site of many battles and skirmishes and high feelings on both sides of the war.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:19 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Totally midwestern.
I consider my self unbiased and have lived in the South, North East and West Coast.
Missouri is bland. Vanilla. Like much of the midwest.
For better or worse, there is a southern "spice". The Accents, the food, the attitudes, the lifestyle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri