Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 10:14 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I think that is so interesting. So are there towns where one household is Southern, but their next door neighbors are Midwestern, but they're all natives of the town? If a town like that does exist, it would make me wonder what causes one family to be Southern, but the other family to be Midwestern.
Not the natives of any said town, that poster was speaking of the fact that in certain parts of Mo one can drive as short distance and experience another culture.
That being said, there are hybrid Southern-Midwestern households to be sure, I grew up in one, my dads family is from STL, my moms from Poplar Bluff.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I think that is so interesting. So are there towns where one household is Southern, but their next door neighbors are Midwestern, but they're all natives of the town? If a town like that does exist, it would make me wonder what causes one family to be Southern, but the other family to be Midwestern.
Probably their accents!

I've found SW MO to be a delightful mix of the two and both are known for friendliness and hospitality so to me, it seems the best of both worlds. It was a trip to the mid-west some years ago to attend a son's wedding that made me really want to leave the left coast and I gravitated toward where we are now based upon having lived in both the south and the mid-west and my wife having lived in the Ozarks.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:28 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Both of my parents grew up in Cape Girardeau, and both sides of my family all live in Cape Girardeau County. That being said we all consider ourselves southern. However, we have neighbors that do not share the same dialect that I have, but their families have been around here a long time as well.

There is a fair in Altenburg, MO this weekend, and it draws a crowd from all around East and Southeast Missouri, Southern Illinois, and Western Kentucky, and you can tell where someone is from by their accent, even though it's not a huge distance between where some of these people live. If you are familiar with Cape County, a farmer from Delta and a farmer from Old Appleton will share little in common, even though they are only about 35 miles apart in a straight line.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
If you are familiar with Cape County, a farmer from Delta and a farmer from Old Appleton will share little in common, even though they are only about 35 miles apart in a straight line.
The farmer in Delta considers themselves a Southerner, while the Old Appleton farmer is a Midwesterner.
I have always been fascinated where and how this occurs in SE Mo.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:57 AM

82 posts, read 275,874 times
Both. Missouri is really where the south meets the north. If you're in the southern half of the state Missouri has a southern flavor to it. If you're in the northern half the people and the landscape are very midwestern.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillcekr View Post
Both. Missouri is really where the south meets the north. If you're in the southern half of the state Missouri has a southern flavor to it. If you're in the northern half the people and the landscape are very midwestern.
Only the extreme southern part of Missouri can be considered Southern.
I'm in Southern Mo, south of the Missouri, and south of STL, its Midwestern here, solidly.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:29 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Only the extreme southern part of Missouri can be considered Southern.
I'm in Southern Mo, south of the Missouri, and south of STL, its Midwestern here, solidly.
Disagree.

Many areas of southern Missouri I would classify as being part of the upper reaches of the South. I have posted the demographics to back up my arguments in many threads. Many areas feel like Kentucky to me.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Disagree.

Many areas of southern Missouri I would classify as being part of the upper reaches of the South. I have posted the demographics to back up my arguments in many threads. Many areas feel like Kentucky to me.
-sigh- You know good and well I am speaking of the Mississippi Hills region that I am in right this minute.
This has been covered as nauseaum in other threads.
How much time have you spent in said region?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:33 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1NsC98xVN0

Almost as funny as Abbott & Costello's "Who's On First?"

Lighten up folks - Confederate, Union, Midwestern, Southern - does it really matter? Call yourself whatever you want. Others will just think you're a dumb Missouri hick - no matter what you claim.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1NsC98xVN0

Almost as funny as Abbott & Costello's "Who's On First?"

Lighten up folks - Confederate, Union, Midwestern, Southern - does it really matter? Call yourself whatever you want. Others will just think you're a dumb Missouri hick - no matter what you claim.
Thats Miss Hillbilly to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri