Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 02:30 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,504,048 times

Advertisements

Just me or does the western edge of Missouri just seem a bit different than the rest of the state as well? There seems to be a bit of a great plains feel to the area. I am also thinking economically and culturally it is becoming more connected to Texas, and Dallas in particular... though there also seems to be more ties to Denver as well. I am also picturing migrational patterns would bear this out. It would be interesting to see the metro areas of Missouri showing which other metro areas around the country the largest population exchanges take place by year.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:52 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,246,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Just me or does the western edge of Missouri just seem a bit different than the rest of the state as well? There seems to be a bit of a great plains feel to the area. I am also thinking economically and culturally it is becoming more connected to Texas, and Dallas in particular... though there also seems to be more ties to Denver as well. I am also picturing migrational patterns would bear this out. It would be interesting to see the metro areas of Missouri showing which other metro areas around the country the largest population exchanges take place by year.
All I know is that KC is more economically connected or has similarities to Texas metros like Dallas Ft. Worth. That might explain some of the Sunbelt influences in places like JOCO

Old 05-30-2011, 06:36 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,504,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
All I know is that KC is more economically connected or has similarities to Texas metros like Dallas Ft. Worth. That might explain some of the Sunbelt influences in places like JOCO
It could and also is likely to shape its regional identity for the western half of the state. Now is the Springfield area also tying itself economically and culturally more towards places like Dallas as well? It seems some form of "Greater Texas" complex of connections could include a significant part of the western half of Missouri.

The big question on future connections is where the St. Louis area is going to align itself more or less in the future. It has been most connected to the Great Lakes region but I'm not sure if it might not be as much the case in the future. One issue in terms of economic ties is the part of the Southern half of the country St. Louis would be most connected to is the most economically stagnant and/or depressed part, between the growth of places in Texas and the Atlantic Coast states.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:05 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,659,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
True. Now I will say NE Arkansas by the bootheel is a lot more southern than the Ozarks. Like I said the MO and AR Ozarks are southern but in a different way.

Also the bootheel lays more south than anywhere in KY and all lays at the same latitude as MO. So its silly for people to think MO shouldn't be a southern state.

Now climate wise some areas that are high in elevation in NW Arkansas do have more harsh winters and spring temps the same as Stl.
Missouri isn't a southern state, it's a midwestern state. Some parts are 100% Southern but Missouri leans Midwestern over probably 80% of it's area and only 15% of its population identifies as southern. Once again the only real ties that Missouri as a whole has to the south is religion and topography. I myself am no midwesterner, my family came from Louisiana and Tennessee before they moved here & 80% of them were English or Welsh descent. But most Missourians aren't like me either.

The entire state isn't like SE Missouri or SW Missouri. Also I haven't heard any southern accents being spoken by the people of Joplin. Sounds like typical Lower Midland to me.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:45 AM

543 posts, read 849,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Missouri isn't a southern state, it's a midwestern state. Some parts are 100% Southern but Missouri leans Midwestern over probably 80% of it's area and only 15% of its population identifies as southern. Once again the only real ties that Missouri as a whole has to the south is religion and topography. I myself am no midwesterner, my family came from Louisiana and Tennessee before they moved here & 80% of them were English or Welsh descent. But most Missourians aren't like me either.

The entire state isn't like SE Missouri or SW Missouri. Also I haven't heard any southern accents being spoken by the people of Joplin. Sounds like typical Lower Midland to me.
I think it's 23 percent the survey said. Maryland was 15 percent I think.

I would think Joplin has more ties with oklahoma than the traditional ozarks.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:39 AM

Here is a map from another thread.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 AM

I have a relative who used to have a house on Bull Shoals just 5 miles from the AR border. Driving on 160 and passing thru places like Gainesville, Hardenville, Caulfield didn't look or feel Midwestern one bit, but 100 percent southern. In a kind of smokey mountains way like North Georgia, TN, and northern, central AL way and not the BS upland south way that people compare to Southern IL, Southern IN and parts of northern Kentucky. It felt like Dixie.

A textbook case of a Missouri uplandish city would be Rolla because it has midwest feel as well as a southern feel mixed in as well. Sections around lake of the ozarks are tansition zone.

The culture around the lake of the Ozarks is not as southern as Bull Shoals, Table Rock, Taneycomo.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,485,827 times
Alicia, I've known an awful lot of locals from the Jefferson City, Moberly, Ashland, Harrisburg area surrounding Columbia and from all I've seen they have very little in common with the true southerners in my family (from Georgia). They're super rural, sure but it doesn't follow that all country folk are southerners -- though I've found an awful lot of folks from cities tend to conflate the two.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 AM

201 posts, read 571,140 times
I always thought of MO as southern, but I guess it's fair to just call it a border state and move on just like with MD.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:46 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,838,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Alicia, I've known an awful lot of locals from the Jefferson City, Moberly, Ashland, Harrisburg area surrounding Columbia and from all I've seen they have very little in common with the true southerners in my family (from Georgia). They're super rural, sure but it doesn't follow that all country folk are southerners -- though I've found an awful lot of folks from cities tend to conflate the two.
An awful lot of people seem to confuse rural with Southern, why is that?
What do they think when the meet an urban Southerner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri