U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM

621 posts, read 595,513 times
Walk into a Boston sports bar and call anyone in the bar a damn Yankee and you are liable to get a thumping there as well.

That don't mean any of them were Southener's - just folks who take their baseball awful serious.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:29 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,298,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
True MS Delta is like some of the thickest accents you will hear. If you want to hear deep south accent listen to MS Governor Ross Barnett. He was a great conservative Democrat from the early 1960s.

Go to the 1:19 mark.

YouTube - ‪September 29, 1962 - Ross Barnett, Governor of Mississippi, giving his I Love Mississippi speech.‬‏
I could listen to the scanner for Dunklin & Pemiscot counties in SE Missouri and hear the same thing. The primary point is that 90% of Missouri doesn't sound like that because Missouri as a whole is Midwestern.

I didn't know that old school conservative Democrats could be great. Kinda like neocon's....not true conservatives.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Walk into a Boston sports bar and call anyone in the bar a damn Yankee and you are liable to get a thumping there as well.

That don't mean any of them were Southener's - just folks who take their baseball awful serious.
Hahaha this made me laugh

Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 PM

23,444 posts, read 17,159,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I could listen to the scanner for Dunklin & Pemiscot counties in SE Missouri and hear the same thing. The primary point is that 90% of Missouri doesn't sound like that because Missouri as a whole is Midwestern.

I didn't know that old school conservative Democrats could be great. Kinda like neocon's....not true conservatives.
I've heard that gumbo accent in eastern Butler County.
But not north of there.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM

543 posts, read 403,937 times
Quote:

So what about the Arkansas Ozarks, and MO Ozarks around US60? They're southern and have somewhat of an accent, but nothing like that. So you're saying the Ozarks are whole midwestern?

I've been thru Kentucky also and I didn't hear anyone with that much of a accent like in the video from Mississippi.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
So what about the Arkansas Ozarks, and MO Ozarks around US60? They're southern and have somewhat of an accent, but nothing like that. So you're saying the Ozarks are whole midwestern?

I've been thru Kentucky also and I didn't hear anyone with that much of a accent like in the video from Mississippi.
I'm saying:

#1 that 90% of Missouri doesn't have the same accent as that man.

#2 Missouri as a whole is midwestern. If an area exhibits a few southern traits, that doesn't make it southern if most traits are still midwestern. Cape Girardeau for example: The town itself = somewhat southern. Add the influence from the university students and Cape becomes 50/50 split or somewhat midwestern.

So Missouri is overall Midwestern. That doesn't mean that areas aren't 100% Southern, but the thread is meant to discuss the state as a whole. Of course people like me regionalize our discussions because I don't want to talk about areas I don't know a whole lot about. But I am quick to point out that most of the state isn't like my part of the state (obviously )

The Arkansas Ozarks & some of the Missouri Ozarks are majority southern. But once again just because someone lives in the hills doesn't make them southern. Rolla for example being on I-44 with alot of STL influence makes it hard for me to consider it Southern. Rolla historically was a southern town (Old English Road, anyone?), but I have a hard time saying it still is when some of the locals & people on the radio pronounce o's like a's . I have a hard time calling Rolla southern when the drink of the south (sweet tea) isn't sold everywhere in that town. I would hesitate to call some places in the northern Ozarks southern or places with a southern lean for various reasons.

Kentucky is upland south, which is indeed more similar to the Ozarks than the Delta. Not saying it's less southern, but the Lower Midwest and the Delta are much more different than the Lower Midwest & Upland South in virtually every way. Now the Purchase region can be debated because it does indeed have influence from the Delta.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 PM

543 posts, read 403,937 times
Quote:
I'm saying:

#1 that 90% of Missouri doesn't have the same accent as that man.

#2 Missouri as a whole is midwestern. If an area exhibits a few southern traits, that doesn't make it southern if most traits are still midwestern. Cape Girardeau for example: The town itself = somewhat southern. Add the influence from the university students and Cape becomes 50/50 split or somewhat midwestern.

So Missouri is overall Midwestern. That doesn't mean that areas aren't 100% Southern, but the thread is meant to discuss the state as a whole. Of course people like me regionalize our discussions because I don't want to talk about areas I don't know a whole lot about. But I am quick to point out that most of the state isn't like my part of the state (obviously )

The Arkansas Ozarks & some of the Missouri Ozarks are majority southern. But once again just because someone lives in the hills doesn't make them southern. Rolla for example being on I-44 with alot of STL influence makes it hard for me to consider it Southern. Rolla historically was a southern town (Old English Road, anyone?), but I have a hard time saying it still is when some of the locals & people on the radio pronounce o's like a's . I have a hard time calling Rolla southern when the drink of the south (sweet tea) isn't sold everywhere in that town. I would hesitate to call some places in the northern Ozarks southern or places with a southern lean for various reasons.

Kentucky is upland south, which is indeed more similar to the Ozarks than the Delta. Not saying it's less southern, but the Lower Midwest and the Delta are much more different than the Lower Midwest & Upland South in virtually every way. Now the Purchase region can be debated because it does indeed have influence from the Delta.
I really wouldn't go by how a media personality pronounces something. Most are from different areas of the country and move around all over to find a job. Just like St. Louis media personalities most of them are not even from Missouri and come from all over.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I really wouldn't go by how a media personality pronounces something. Most are from different areas of the country and move around all over to find a job. Just like St. Louis media personalities most of them are not even from Missouri and come from all over.
Well these individuals speak with the classic St. Louis accent, so they're either from STL or places way up in the Midwest. Hell even Faune Riggin on KZIM in Cape Girardeau speaks with a pretty neutral accent and she's from one of the Dakotas.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
The most highly desired accent in broadcasting is "Midwestern neutral" which MO has in abundance.
I know this from attending the Pulitzer School of Journalism at Mizzou.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Well these individuals speak with the classic St. Louis accent, so they're either from STL or places way up in the Midwest. Hell even Faune Riggin on KZIM in Cape Girardeau speaks with a pretty neutral accent and she's from one of the Dakotas.
Listen to CJ Layton on KSGM if you can get it....classic neutral Midwestern accent, and a SG man to boot!
Good friend of mine, went to school with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri