Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 08:35 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,200 times

Advertisements

The Missouri Public Service Commission is hosting meetings regarding this 18% increase. The meeting that I attended had only about 100 citizens.

At the meeting I attended, there were more stockholders and Ameren employees than there were concerned citizens. It seems to me that the meeting was mainly a PR opportunity for the Ameren Company. After citizens got up to testify, the Public Service Commission representative's response would be something like 'Does your electricity work? Do your lights flicker or anything?'..

Ameren UE would like to raise your bill by 18%.
They say they've done some "improvements" and they want to recap their money.

Ameren UE is paying dividends...
I would be willing to bet that Ameren UE has not cut back on pay, employee benefits or bonuses paid to their executives. Everyone in the state is cutting budgets, but not Ameren.

It is interesting to me that they say that one of the reasons that they need this increase, is because USAGE is down.
Factories are closing, people are losing jobs... we've all insulated our houses, and replaced windows and doors. Many of us keep our thermostats turned way down in the winter to further reduce our usage because we've all been told that we use too much electricity...

So now that usage is down, their plan is to charge us MORE.

Our country is still recovering from the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression. Across our state, every community is suffering from the lower tax revenue. Governor Nixon is laying off more state employees in an effort to reduce state government spending. School budgets are being cut back.
In all industries people are losing benefits and jobs.

Currently, AmerenUE is asking for an 18% increase. Two years ago they received an 8-9% increase. There was another previous increase before that which makes their total increase over 30% for the past 5 years.

You have to ask yourself,... What other business in Missouri has seen 30% increase in net income in the last 5 years?

If they chose to do improvements in this current economy, improvements that supposedly have already been done... it seems to me it was their choice and that they should absorb those costs.

Obviously, we need electricity. But, we need government services and we need schools, too.

The Public Service Commission has until June to decide about this increase.
I would like to encourage people to attend your local meetings and to speak out regarding this outrageous proposed increase.

You can also write letters to the Missouri Public Service Commission office about this increase. Here is a link to their site which has contact information and more information about the Ameren increase. Regulating Missouri's Investor-Owned Utilities — Missouri Public Service Commission

More than 30% increase to our rates over the past 5 years shows that Ameren UE is totally insensitive to the reality of the tough economic times that we're all facing. You have to wonder what newspapers they've been reading.

This 18% increase has nothing to do with building their proposed Nuclear Plant. Those plans have been shelved at the present time.
When they decide to go forward with builing that plant,... I wonder what kind of additional rate increase that they'll be asking for?

Asking for an 18% increase in the current economy is outrageous!

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-04-2010 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 03:24 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,200 times
Default More information about the proposed increase...

For more information about what you can do or how you can get involved in fighting Ameren's proposed 18 % increase, you can contact the Fair Electricity Action Group at this website.

For the facts...

http://www.fairelectricityrates.com/getinvolved/issues.htm (broken link)

To learn more about how you can get involved...

The Fair Electricity Rate Action Fund (FERAF) - Media (http://www.fairelectricityrates.com/media/media.htm - broken link)

The Fair Electricity Rate Action Fund is a Missouri group of consumers and businesses.
For more information about who the FERAF is...

The Fair Electricity Rate Action Fund (FERAF) - About Us (http://www.fairelectricityrates.com/about/about.htm - broken link)

We can beat this increase but not if you don't get involved!

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-04-2010 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri