Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 PM

106 posts, read 323,607 times

Advertisements

WELL, WE MADE IT!!!!
Before we get going about our trip down here, we have a prayer request, Jim's mom had a massive stroke on Saturday. We are leaving tomorrow night to go to Cleveland, Oh. The doctors don't think that she will make it out of the hospital. Funeral arrangements are being made tomorrow by Jim's dad and brother, just in case. She was doing better yesterday and now today is not doing all that great. Please keep all of us in your prayers.
Our trip down to MO was uneventful and we have almost all boxes empty, curtains are up, border is up in the dining room, the hall bathroom is painted and the lawn is mowed and weed whacked. We got here on the 21st of June and our belongings were delivered on the 22nd and we also had Dish installed on the same day. Getting back to the lawn, way too much to mow with a push mower. It looks nice though. I think I might ask for a riding lawn mower for Christmas, I never would imagine asking for one of those.
The first night that we got down here I was ready to come back home to Michigan. I missed everyone and our old house and neighbors. It is culture shock for sure out here. It is so quiet and very dark at night. I had a melt down that night and the night that my mom and dad left to go back to Michigan. I haven’t cried since they left and neither has my mom. I do call her more often and I can’t wait for them to move out here.
Everyone is very nice, we already had a BBQ and fireworks and dinner with our new neighbors/friends, Tonia and Mike. They live in the house that we share the drive with. They have 3 boys, 12, 8,and 6 and 1 girl that is Kati’s age. They are nice Christian people and seem to be a lot of fun.
We have also met Pat, she is the waitress at the café in town. Yes, we do have a restaurant. We have a Mexican, Chinese and regular restaurant in town. We have a movie theater, bowling alley, Dairy Queen, motel, Dollar General, Sonic, banks, churches, YMCA, grocery store and hardware store. We were surprised to find out that we had so much. We are about 12 minutes from town. The longest ride is down the county road to the main road. Once you are on the main road, we are only a mile from town.
The one problem with our town is that things start closing around 8 pm. There are no pizza places that deliver but one of the gas stations, Casey's makes an awesome pizza and they are pretty cheap. Things seem to be a bit cheaper here , except for milk which is $3.64 a gallon. That is so strange to me because all you see out here are cows. Gas is a lot cheaper than in the north, MIchigan.
I think that I am finally getting used to living out in the country. I don’t know about getting used to the little animals that we have all over. We have little toads and frogs, armadillo, cats and kittens, deer, lizards, turtles, snakes and coyotes and fox. We actually had a deer stop in the middle of the road last week as we were driving down the road. When we got closer it just jumped the fence and went on it’s way. You can tell when there is road kill, the hawks start swarming the sky.
We started to burn our garbage instead of having someone pick it up. We will see how this works out.
Our movers, Sasha Transport, worked out good. The Cottonwood Futon company worked out pretty good. The futons look great.
Well, so far everyone loves it here. We just got the internet this afternoon and it feels great to be back on. We love it here and I can't imagine ever living in the city again. I just can't wait for my parents and sister to move down here. I know it will take some talking into with my sister but my parents are ready to move. They love it here.
Thank you all for all the messages that you posted while we were not online. We appreciate it all. Jim and I were going to surprise Michelle and Albert Sunday at church but we stayed home and sat by the phone since Saturday, afraid that we may miss a call. I am glad that she is helping some of you. We hope that everyone that is planning on moving down here gets here soon. It is beautiful and it is just as humid as it was in Michigan, no more. We haven't experienced any high volume of bugs. It is pretty cool to watch the bats at night. Well, we will write more later and we just want to say Thank You for all your support and kind words. You all are great!

Love,

Kim, Jim and the kids

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 09:30 PM

We do have some properties for sale in Cabool. Oh, yeah, when we registered the kids for school we found out that they offer more clubs, programs than the school district that we were in up in Michigan. WE have alot of community functions that we are looking into. We can't do much until we know what is going on with Jim's mom but the things that we heard about sound really cool. Small town things. I love that. Everyone has been so friendly here. People wave at you even though they don't know you. There are full service gas stations that don't cost a penny more than self serve. At the Town and Country grocery store in town the baggers will load your groceries into your car if you want. The laid back attitude is wonderful. Oh yeah, we have a community pool in town too. So much to say not alot of time. I will have to write little posts at a time.

Kim

Old 07-17-2007, 09:42 PM

393 posts, read 1,735,976 times
Have enjoyed reading the story of your move to Cabool, and want to wish you well on your new home. Very sorry to hear about your mother in law, that's never an easy thing to go through for anyone involved.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboolBound View Post
We do have some properties for sale in Cabool. Oh, yeah, when we registered the kids for school we found out that they offer more clubs, programs than the school district that we were in up in Michigan. WE have alot of community functions that we are looking into. We can't do much until we know what is going on with Jim's mom but the things that we heard about sound really cool. Small town things. I love that. Everyone has been so friendly here. People wave at you even though they don't know you. There are full service gas stations that don't cost a penny more than self serve. At the Town and Country grocery store in town the baggers will load your groceries into your car if you want. The laid back attitude is wonderful. Oh yeah, we have a community pool in town too. So much to say not alot of time. I will have to write little posts at a time.

Kim
Yay Kim_Jim is BACK I am so glad. We was very worried. Happy Happy for yah. Properties for sale? yah just move... Sounds like your gettin used your place. It is always hard to move away from family but in no time you be glad to move.

Move was ok huh? Problems with Sasha Transport.

Well Welcome back on the thread.
Kareybear

Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 PM

Thank you, it feels good to be back.
What I meant was is there are properties for sale in Cabool, we are not selling. Talk to you all later. I am so tired.
Kim

Old 07-17-2007, 10:14 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,363 times
get some rest there kiddo, trust me most of us know all about making a big move and trying to settle in. There will be difficult days (my wife and daughter that couldn't wait to move here from CA, then wanted to move BACK within a month) to work through but think long term and you will be very happy I'm sure. I too am sorry to hear about your mom in law....sad news indeed. Take care. (jammer now known as m15A2)

Old 07-18-2007, 12:25 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,579 times
Quote:
Thank you, it feels good to be back.
What I meant was is there are properties for sale in Cabool, we are not selling. Talk to you all later. I am so tired.
Kim
Wheww here I was thinking your moving AGAIn! Any hoot, How rude of me as you can tell I responded to your thread at midnight last night. I was so excited to see you back but I am REALLY Sorry about your mother in law

Old 07-18-2007, 12:46 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,652,963 times
Quote:
WELL, WE MADE IT!!!!
Before we get going about our trip down here, we have a prayer request, Jim's mom had a massive stroke on Saturday. We are leaving tomorrow night to go to Cleveland, Oh. The doctors don't think that she will make it out of the hospital. Funeral arrangements are being made tomorrow by Jim's dad and brother, just in case. She was doing better yesterday and now today is not doing all that great. Please keep all of us in your prayers.
Our trip down to MO was uneventful and we have almost all boxes empty, curtains are up, border is up in the dining room, the hall bathroom is painted and the lawn is mowed and weed whacked. We got here on the 21st of June and our belongings were delivered on the 22nd and we also had Dish installed on the same day. Getting back to the lawn, way too much to mow with a push mower. It looks nice though. I think I might ask for a riding lawn mower for Christmas, I never would imagine asking for one of those.
The first night that we got down here I was ready to come back home to Michigan. I missed everyone and our old house and neighbors. It is culture shock for sure out here. It is so quiet and very dark at night. I had a melt down that night and the night that my mom and dad left to go back to Michigan. I haven’t cried since they left and neither has my mom. I do call her more often and I can’t wait for them to move out here.
Everyone is very nice, we already had a BBQ and fireworks and dinner with our new neighbors/friends, Tonia and Mike. They live in the house that we share the drive with. They have 3 boys, 12, 8,and 6 and 1 girl that is Kati’s age. They are nice Christian people and seem to be a lot of fun.
We have also met Pat, she is the waitress at the café in town. Yes, we do have a restaurant. We have a Mexican, Chinese and regular restaurant in town. We have a movie theater, bowling alley, Dairy Queen, motel, Dollar General, Sonic, banks, churches, YMCA, grocery store and hardware store. We were surprised to find out that we had so much. We are about 12 minutes from town. The longest ride is down the county road to the main road. Once you are on the main road, we are only a mile from town.
The one problem with our town is that things start closing around 8 pm. There are no pizza places that deliver but one of the gas stations, Casey's makes an awesome pizza and they are pretty cheap. Things seem to be a bit cheaper here , except for milk which is $3.64 a gallon. That is so strange to me because all you see out here are cows. Gas is a lot cheaper than in the north, MIchigan.
I think that I am finally getting used to living out in the country. I don’t know about getting used to the little animals that we have all over. We have little toads and frogs, armadillo, cats and kittens, deer, lizards, turtles, snakes and coyotes and fox. We actually had a deer stop in the middle of the road last week as we were driving down the road. When we got closer it just jumped the fence and went on it’s way. You can tell when there is road kill, the hawks start swarming the sky.
We started to burn our garbage instead of having someone pick it up. We will see how this works out.
Our movers, Sasha Transport, worked out good. The Cottonwood Futon company worked out pretty good. The futons look great.
Well, so far everyone loves it here. We just got the internet this afternoon and it feels great to be back on. We love it here and I can't imagine ever living in the city again. I just can't wait for my parents and sister to move down here. I know it will take some talking into with my sister but my parents are ready to move. They love it here.
Thank you all for all the messages that you posted while we were not online. We appreciate it all. Jim and I were going to surprise Michelle and Albert Sunday at church but we stayed home and sat by the phone since Saturday, afraid that we may miss a call. I am glad that she is helping some of you. We hope that everyone that is planning on moving down here gets here soon. It is beautiful and it is just as humid as it was in Michigan, no more. We haven't experienced any high volume of bugs. It is pretty cool to watch the bats at night. Well, we will write more later and we just want to say Thank You for all your support and kind words. You all are great!

Love,

Kim, Jim and the kids

Hooray! You made it! I am so sorry to hear about Jim's mother, though! I bet you're grateful she didn't have the stroke while you were on the road or before your belongings were delivered. I prayed for her and all of you who love her today. Just remember to live in the moment and don't worry about what isn't. (Yes, I know it seems like I didn't finish that sentence...but I did!)

Your experience is so typical...some good, some not so good...and always evolving. What an adventure you're having! Sounds like you've gotten a lot done and learned a lot about your community which is the first step to making it your home town. You're waaaay ahead of the game in that you've already made some new friends and even had a BBQ! Shut UP! You did NOT! Hahaha!

You will come to love all of those little animals that you're not so sure of now. This is life as it was meant to be lived as far as I am concerned! I have more to share but want to respond to the other posts below and will have to say more later.

Welcome to our newest Missourians! Whoohoo!

MrsG

Quote:

Kim
Whoohoo! It sounds wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m15A2fwtnc View Post
get some rest there kiddo, trust me most of us know all about making a big move and trying to settle in. There will be difficult days (my wife and daughter that couldn't wait to move here from CA, then wanted to move BACK within a month) to work through but think long term and you will be very happy I'm sure. I too am sorry to hear about your mom in law....sad news indeed. Take care. (jammer now known as m15A2)
Hey, Jammer...er...Derwood...er...m15A2!

Did I miss the post where you announced your name change? I only figured it out the other day. So, how about explaining how you came up with that difficult name you've got now?!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:51 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,108 times
Welcome Back!!

Sorry to hear your news of your mother in law .. thats sad .Prayers for you and your family in this time!

I was worried about ya and your move .. I tried to get Karey (teehhee) to call your Realtor ........... well ok I dared her to dare me .. but neither of us did!

I cant wait for the move ... but I know that up and down feeling ... but once settled before u know it u will be busy busy and then your family will have all relocated as well.

Living in the dark..no city lights - its awesome isn't it!! lol thats what I do not think I could go back to - city lights! NO THANKS!

Talk to you soon,
Take Care
Deborah

Old 07-26-2007, 08:34 AM

32 posts, read 641,861 times
Just thought I'd say hi! I grew up in Houston which is just a few miles from Cabool. You're officially livin' in the boonies now!! *lol*

When we visit my mom and dad, we occasionally eat at the Mexican restaurant in Cabool...excellent food!

-Good luck with you new experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri