Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,781,577 times

Advertisements

I've seen armadillos as road-kill on the half-shell in South KC (south of the MO river) but never "live" this far north. The places I've seen them make me suspect they have hitch hiked on a tractor/trailer. It is unlikely we will eradicate them but we can and should, in my opinion, attempt to control their populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:35 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,503,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I've seen armadillos as road-kill on the half-shell in South KC (south of the MO river) but never "live" this far north. The places I've seen them make me suspect they have hitch hiked on a tractor/trailer. It is unlikely we will eradicate them but we can and should, in my opinion, attempt to control their populations.
Well part of that is they tend to be more active during the night. Also what is interesting is that only ones west of the Mississippi walked in on their own. The ones East of the river have origions from escaped animals in Florida in the 1920's and also are not as far north. (They only now are in the Atlanta area) Does anyone know of finding any north of the Missouri River or is that for now at least a natural barrier for them?

Old 03-17-2010, 07:05 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,388,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2pomona View Post
This pesky intruder to our state has begun to be a problem for us. First, my dogs go nuts when one is on our property and all their barking doesn't seem to phase the beasts a bit. Second, they're digging holes all over the place. Now if they would dig up rocks, I wouldn't care but the holes make walking across the meadow dangerous.

I contacted the Missouri Department of Conservation for help in getting rid of them. The MDC said they are not native to Missouri, they are not wanted in Missouri and they really don't care how I get rid of them. They suggested a 22. I've never owned a gun in my life but I'm willing to take the plunge if that is the only way but am open to suggestions for other remedies.
Actually, Armadillos were native to the Midwest (as far up as Minnesota) up until about the 1500s (during the last warm spell that lasted about 5 centuries and allowed places like Greenland to be colonized by the Vikings). Once the weather turned colder - they retreated south. Now that the weather has been going back to a warmer period . . . they're baaaack!!! They are even showing up in Illinois (as roadkill).

Old 03-17-2010, 09:37 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,503,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Actually, Armadillos were native to the Midwest (as far up as Minnesota) up until about the 1500s (during the last warm spell that lasted about 5 centuries and allowed places like Greenland to be colonized by the Vikings). Once the weather turned colder - they retreated south. Now that the weather has been going back to a warmer period . . . they're baaaack!!! They are even showing up in Illinois (as roadkill).
If I also remember that one of the reasons they were kept from going North of the Rio Grande was whatever local tribes that lived there had them as a food source, when they got forced out it removed the barriers from them.

Also look at what bones are discovered in caves and see what used to live here, some extince some not for example jaguars.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:14 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,388,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
If I also remember that one of the reasons they were kept from going North of the Rio Grande was whatever local tribes that lived there had them as a food source, when they got forced out it removed the barriers from them.

Also look at what bones are discovered in caves and see what used to live here, some extince some not for example jaguars.
Even the Jags are making a comeback north of the Rio Grande! They had a few spotted near El Paso and in Southern NM.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:01 AM

380 posts, read 958,297 times
I'm thinking we made a big mistake when we mowed the three acres around our house. These critters would have much tougher going in the thick, tall grass that covers the rest of the surrounding area. BUT - if we let the lawn grow back in, what am I gonna do with that big John Deere in the shed?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:37 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,317,871 times
Quote:
...what am I gonna do with that big John Deere in the shed?
Keep your cap and maintain your braggin' rights!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:32 AM

40 posts, read 73,075 times
Quote:
what am I gonna do with that big John Deere in the shed?
That will be a complete waste of space and just to be a good neighbor I would be willing to sacrifice some space in my barn for it...its the least I can do!!

Old 03-18-2010, 04:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,781,577 times
Quote:
I'm thinking we made a big mistake when we mowed the three acres around our house. These critters would have much tougher going in the thick, tall grass that covers the rest of the surrounding area. BUT - if we let the lawn grow back in, what am I gonna do with that big John Deere in the shed?
Actually armadillos have no problem getting through the palmetto underbrush in FL so I doubt tall grass is much of an obstical.

You did fine by mowing. Less cover for them to hide in when you go to shoot them. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:37 AM

44 posts, read 155,448 times
I was driving to a friend's place in Washington , MO. - just outside of St.Loius .... and there were smooshed armadillos all along the way ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri