Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times

Advertisements

Mercy! Did I offend you darlin? It sure wasn't my intention...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 05:43 AM

34 posts, read 76,087 times
haha!! you guys crack me up!!
59 days to go!

Old 10-05-2010, 02:54 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
Like Sarah Evans, I'm also missing Missouri!! Missourians are truly 'lotus-eaters' (often without even realizing how good they have it, I think).. absolutely *gorgeous* scenery in the Ozarks (all the way up to the foothills in mid-Missouri) and along the rivers, large and small. Plenty of room to breathe (and also hike, mountain bike, lie on your back and look at the stars [just watch out for those chiggers.. hehehe], etc.). Two absolutely amazing cities with great shopping, dining, architecture, museums/culture, etc., in addition to the blossoming Springfield-Branson area. My favorite MO (small) city is Columbia, home of the University of Missouri and lots of amazing (boutique) shopping and dining for a city of its size. Welcome to the US, and I really hope you enjoy the Show-Me State!!

Old 10-05-2010, 05:20 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKLEYSGIRL View Post
haha!! you guys crack me up!!
59 days to go!
Well I doubt you had a lot to do with picking the time of your move, but the way I figure it, you are leaving springtime in the southern hemisphere and smack dab into winter here in the the north. You are going to lose an entire summer - or you get to replay last winter.

I hope for all our sakes - it's a kind winter for you. And be patient. Missouri does not look its best in winter with the trees all leafless and the grass all brown. Come next June - you will see what Alicia is missing.

And a safe journey to you.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:34 AM

You are correct in that I had nothing to do with the timing of my arrival....will leave Australia as it starts to hit around 30 degrees plus (I havn't learnt how to convert to farenieit yet!), however I am really looking forward to my first white Christmas!!
It will seem really strange watching the cricket while there is snow on the ground!!

Old 10-06-2010, 04:35 AM

oh! 58 days! and still havn't found a rental property!!! AAAAAUUGGHHH!!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Hey maybe we should all get together and give y'all a welcomin' party. I'd drive down--I mean we're sort of like old friends by now.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 PM

380 posts, read 963,524 times
Quote:
oh! 58 days! and still havn't found a rental property!!! AAAAAUUGGHHH!!
Have you talked to Cross Creek Realty in Waynesville? They may have some rentals, or some homes for sale that owners might rent instead.

Also check into Lookout Mountain Apartments -

Lookout Mountain Apartments - Home

Oh - and if you want beans on toast for breakfast, you'll have to fix 'em yourself.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:57 PM

82 posts, read 275,959 times
Quote:
Hi guys. Just thought I would drop a line and seek some of your expert advice. My husband and I are being relocated to Fort Leonard Wood at the end of the year, for the next two years. I think we will get housing in Saint Roberts or Waynesville area? Any advice from the "locals" on what to expect how I should behave (well as much as an Aussie girl can!!) would be greatly appreciated. Also Im bit of a sports nut and cant wait to learn about American football. Do any teams play in that area?
Thanks for your help

Oh...and this will be my first trip to the USA !! I cant wait!
Oh boy. All I can say is that you will be able to tell your friends in Australia that you are very well versed in redneck culture. If it starts getting on your nerves you can always take a trip to St. Louis or Columbia. To get a grasp of what Waynesville is like compared to the cities in Missouri think Coober Pedy compared to Melbourne. That part of Missouri is a whole different world. One good thing though is that there's an abundance of beautiful lakes and parks with a reasonable drive. Actually, the people there really aren't too bad. You just have to learn to accept them for what they are and, in some cases, just understand that they've been raised to think the way they do their whole lives. They're not bad people. Just different. I learned from my experiences with them to let things like the racial comments, ignorance about the world outside of their little enclave, and resentment towards things like science or environmentalism go in one ear and out the other.

Being an Australian, your views of the world are very likely a lot more moderate than the people you would be around in the Waynesville area. At least that's been my experience with Australians when I visited your country a couple times. If it's important to you to be surrounded by folks who are a little more like minded you might consider living in or near Rolla. It's college town not too far from Waynesville and you'll find that most of it's inhabitants are mentally on a little higher plain than those in the area you're considering. If you're an easy going person that doesn't have a problem ignoring some of the silly things that you are likely to see and hear then anyplace in that area will be fine.

The closest place to watch good American football would be Columbia. The University of Missouri is there and they have a pretty good football team. The tickets are reasonably priced too. If you don't mind forking over some bigger bucks you can go see a professional football game in either Kansas City or St. Louis.

Last edited by Thrillcekr; 10-31-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 10-31-2010, 07:24 PM

82 posts, read 275,959 times
[quote=Inoxkeeper;13614900]Really? When was the last time KC won a Lombardi trophy? I seem to recall the last MO team to win it all was the RAMS!

KC has nothing on STL when it comes to football, you guys stink just as bad as we do.

I won't even get into the difference between the Royals and the Cards, there is no comparison!

Well, you are right to a certain extent. The Rams have accomplished about as much as the Chiefs have although from the looks of where both stand now it appears that the Chiefs are well on their way to separating themselves.

I've been to both venues and seen both teams play and there is one difference that is HUGE. That difference is the atmosphere. The Chiefs have one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL. The football tradition there runs a lot deeper than it does in St. Louis, and there is absolutely no comparison when it comes to the tailgating. To my knowledge the Chiefs are still the only team in the NFL that has had to delay the start of a football game due to excessive smoke from the barbecuing out in the parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri