U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Status: "If you choose to move here, don't gripe about us." (set 12 days ago)

1,040 posts, read 1,444,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKLEYSGIRL View Post
ok guys and gals, I have tried the chicken fried steak (yum!!) , but whats with that weird gravy???!!
The gravy for chicken-fried steak is supposed to be made from the meat drippings plus flour (if you don't mind lumping) or cornstarch (if you don't like lumping) plus milk, some garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Unfortunately, hardly any Missouri restaurants nowadays bread their own steak. Instead, they buy frozen, pre-breaded steaks which they throw into the deep fryer. There are no drippings to use, so they have to find another source for gravy. I don't know for sure if it comes from a can or if it's from an envelope with water added. Missouri restaurateurs have become too lazy to make authentic chicken-fried steak, so it comes with "weird gravy." I rarely order chicken-fried steak in any Missouri restaurant; I hate to have to say that. The only one I've found that serves hand-breaded steak is Cookin' From Scratch at the I-44 Doolittle exit, and even then it's only on Thursday. The rest of the week they serve the pre-breaded deep fried version. I don't think you get authentic gravy any day.

My wife's solution for authentic chicken-fried steak is to go to the store and buy eight big pieces of cube steak. She uses four eggs plus a little milk to make the egg wash. She makes the coating with flour plus a half-cup of Bisquick (she has gone modern on me) and little bit of baking powder.

As she puts each piece of meat from the egg wash into the mix, she salts and peppers the meat to taste.

It is delicious, and makes a great Sunday dinner. I'm going to have a couple of those steaks plus mashed potatoes and some cooked carrots, with sweet tea, here in just a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:04 AM

380 posts, read 547,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
My wife's solution for authentic chicken-fried steak is to go to the store and buy eight big pieces of cube steak. She uses four eggs plus a little milk to make the egg wash. She makes the coating with flour plus a half-cup of Bisquick (she has gone modern on me) and little bit of baking powder.
Does your wife have an authentic recipe for Red-eyed gravy? I've seen it made with and without coffee but would like to know what is most traditional.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:21 PM

13 posts, read 5,325 times
Thumbs up Australians... in Missouri ?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKLEYSGIRL View Post
Hi guys. Just thought I would drop a line and seek some of your expert advice. My husband and I are being relocated to Fort Leonard Wood ... housing in Saint Roberts or Waynesville area? Any advice from the "locals" on what to expect how I should behave (well as much as an Aussie girl can!!) would be greatly appreciated...Thanks for your help

Oh...and this will be my first trip to the USA !! I cant wait!

G'day there BuckleysGirl.

I know I'm a little late getting in on this conversation but I just wanted to let you know that there is a growing group of Australians In The USA who are networking & working together to help keep the community of Aussie (& Kiwi) expats across the US in touch...
(this includes folks who are from, or who have family who are from, down under).

We have a facebook page for our national network - search: "Australians In The USA"

There you will find a list of our "geographically relevant / convenient" groups throughout the USA - one for each and every US state - including MISSOURI !

Hope to see you there mate - cheers !
Darren.

PS - Hey I'd just like to add that this is a fantastic thread & educational !
... one of the best I've read in a long time... and I think we should make it mandatory reading for any Aussies venturing up MO way !!!
You folks are extremely gracious and welcoming !!!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 PM

13 posts, read 5,325 times
Thumbs up Mandatory reading !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliansInTheUSAdotOrg View Post
...Hey I'd just like to add that this is a fantastic thread & educational !
... one of the best I've read in a long time... and I think we should make it mandatory reading for any Aussies venturing up MO way !!!
You folks are extremely gracious and welcoming !!!
Yep - in fact we're gonna post a link to this thread on our Missouri fb group - mandatory reading !!!

Cheers!

Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 AM

26 posts, read 17,309 times
BUCKLEYSGIRL, if you are interested in sports and some of the other things you have mentioned, you certainly picked the wrong place to move to. Ft. Leonard Wood is considered the arm-pit of Missouri. You must drive to St. Louis to see sports, and then, St. Louis isn't a great place either. I am afraid you are going to be quite disappointed in the strip shops, and trailer parks around Ft. Leonard Wood. It is also bible thumping country too, so most of the local radio stations will be lecturing to you about the daily gospel. If you have kids, then be aware the schools in Missouri rank in the bottom quarter of the nation. Yes, there are a few scenic sites around, but you have to have a car to get there. People there are very clannish, political, and can be downright hostile. Of all places to come to in America, you have probably picked perhaps not the worst, but close to it. Take my advice, if you like sports, select Dallas, Denver, or San Francisco. Otherwise, you are about as far removed from the world at Ft. Leonard Wood as you would be in the outback of Australia.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:54 AM

9,483 posts, read 4,448,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kye154 View Post
BUCKLEYSGIRL, . You must drive to St. Louis to see sports, and then, St. Louis isn't a great place either.

If you have kids, then be aware the schools in Missouri rank in the bottom quarter of the nation.

. Take my advice, if you like sports, select Dallas, Denver, or San Francisco. .
Wow and here I thought the World Series Champion Cardinals were from St. Louis

Yeah send them to California for good schools.....

Old 03-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Status: "If you choose to move here, don't gripe about us." (set 12 days ago)

1,040 posts, read 1,444,111 times
Quote:
BUCKLEYSGIRL, People there are very clannish, political, and can be downright hostile. Of all places to come to in America, you have probably picked perhaps not the worst, but close to it. Take my advice, if you like sports, select Dallas, Denver, or San Francisco. Otherwise, you are about as far removed from the world at Ft. Leonard Wood as you would be in the outback of Australia.
You are doing good work DIScouraging people from moving here, and I ENcourage you to continue.

Although I moved my family up here from Georgia back in '53 and I've never regretted it, I quickly and easily fit in because I'm clannish and downright hostile just like the rest of 'em around here. We don't need malls, high-priced coffee shops and organic food stores. We raise our own organic food, brew our own coffee and get what we need at the hardware store, the feed store and grocery store. If they don't have what we need we can order it from a catalog or build it ourselves.

Keep spreading the news that Phelps, Pulaski, indeed all the counties in Southern Missouri are backwards, ignorant and inbred. That way we can live in peace knowing the likes of you won't come around.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:41 PM

26 posts, read 17,309 times
Gee Thanks Ozarksboy! You have proudly conveyed and confirmed what I told Buckleysgirl. That was right kind of you. You forgot however, to say how bad the economy is there. Didn't Pulaski county have something like 22% unemployment just last year? Let's hope those food stamps hold out for ya. Your own Republican representatives, and senator Roy Blunt are wanting to make cuts in those entitlements, you know.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 PM

140 posts, read 127,610 times
Quote:
... You forgot however, to say how bad the economy is there. Didn't Pulaski county have something like 22% unemployment just last year? ...
Where in the world are you getting your unemployment stats from?? I already replied to a similar post by you in another thread, but I'll repost one of those links here:

Missouri Labor | Unemployment Benefits by County

According to the link above, Pulaski's monthly unemployment rate for 2011 was 9.3% or less.

To OB: sorry, I'm not helping to keep it all clannish and hostile here...I'll try to do better, but wild inaccuracies just bug the crap out of me!

Old 04-01-2012, 06:03 PM

266 posts, read 171,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
The gravy for chicken-fried steak is supposed to be made from the meat drippings plus flour (if you don't mind lumping) or cornstarch (if you don't like lumping) plus milk, some garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Unfortunately, hardly any Missouri restaurants nowadays bread their own steak. Instead, they buy frozen, pre-breaded steaks which they throw into the deep fryer. There are no drippings to use, so they have to find another source for gravy. I don't know for sure if it comes from a can or if it's from an envelope with water added. Missouri restaurateurs have become too lazy to make authentic chicken-fried steak, so it comes with "weird gravy." I rarely order chicken-fried steak in any Missouri restaurant; I hate to have to say that. The only one I've found that serves hand-breaded steak is Cookin' From Scratch at the I-44 Doolittle exit, and even then it's only on Thursday. The rest of the week they serve the pre-breaded deep fried version. I don't think you get authentic gravy any day.

As she puts each piece of meat from the egg wash into the mix, she salts and peppers the meat to taste.

It is delicious, and makes a great Sunday dinner. I'm going to have a couple of those steaks plus mashed potatoes and some cooked carrots, with sweet tea, here in just a little bit.
We stopped at a little place called Cowboy Doug's outside of Warsaw on hwy 7. They had the best chicken fried steak I have had in a long time. They had used the eggmisture and then rolled them in 4 different type of crackers. I know I tasted Ritz, not sure what else and I believe that they were baked. GOOD!
As for the red eye gravy no body makes it as good as my daddy used to, but this is not bad.

Vegetable oil
8 slices (1/4-inch thickness) raw country ham
3/4 c. black coffee
1 tsp. granulated sugar

Heat a few drops of oil in a large skillet until skillet is medium hot. Lay ham slices in skillet. Cook on one side for 8 minutes over medium-high heat. Turn slices and fry 8 minutes more. Pour coffee into skillet with ham slices. Sprinkle with sugar and stir. Cover and let simmer over very low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve ham and red-eye gravy together. 8 to 10 servings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri