U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2010, 12:27 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,806,635 times

Advertisements

How do metal roofs in the area compare to comp? My concerns are hail damage and high winds and the possibility of lifting the roofing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 PM

29,990 posts, read 21,016,714 times
What area? Are you out in the country or in a residential area that may have HOA restrictions on roofing types?

I had one installed recently(2yrs). Expense is greater going in but longer life is the real benefit. Mine is a heavier gauge "standing seam" metal roof and has no issues standing up to high winds (35 mph sustained & 60mph gusts - house is on ridge top). I have no concerns with it lifting. Thus far I have not noticed any dimpling from hail.

Beyond durability (50yr), I chose metal for the reflectivity of heat (dependant on color) and energy savings. It, along with a thin reflective layer of insulation behind the metal reflects nearly 85% of heat that hits the roof. It has made for incredible summer energy savings by keeping the attic from becoming too hot.

Your metal roof will be as good as the installer doing the job. If you choose to go metal choose a roof installer with a very good reputation.

http://www.mcelroymetal.com/content/residential/

Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 PM

Thanks for your reply. Our house is in a small town up north. We have a gambrel roof with dormers so there isn't much in the way of attic space which makes anything we can do for heating and cooling a plus.

Good to hear the hail hasn't been to hard on yours. That was a big worry of mine.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:16 AM

29,990 posts, read 21,016,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Our house is in a small town up north. We have a gambrel roof with dormers so there isn't much in the way of attic space which makes anything we can do for heating and cooling a plus.

Good to hear the hail hasn't been to hard on yours. That was a big worry of mine.
Depending on where in northern MO you are located....

I purchased my roofing metal/reflective underlayment/fasteners, etc... through Economy Metal in Centralia, MO
573-682-5575

Old 04-06-2010, 11:50 AM

Thanks,
They are just over a couple hours away so won't hurt to check out.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:20 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,883,643 times
Had metal roof on house in NE 'bama... love it. As lifelongMOgal mentioned, the keys are quality material and quality install. They will outlast comp roof, and be quite attractive. Me, I loved the sound of rain, hail, etc. upon it

Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 PM

Well we've had a metal roof out here in Ca. but our biggest weather issues are loads of snow in winter and having fluctuating temps that get pretty warm during the day and cold at night during summer. I love the metal roof in this climate because the comp roofs don't last out here very well with the daily temp fluctuations. I've only had a comp out there so I've no experience with metal in hail or high winds. I think the appearance on our house would be fine with metal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri