U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:39 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,915,289 times

Advertisements

What is the going price there now?

We have a new neighbor here ... she has horses in California getting delivered ... and she is from there but moved to our area (that were wanting to move from)
and she told last night she was paying $13 a bale in Cali!!!
she purchased 600 bales from us last night ..no where near $13 a bale!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 07:52 AM

1,238 posts, read 2,972,651 times
Right now I can get grass hay for 2.00/small square bale-I haven't looked yet at round bales or my prairie hay guy. One concern I have is that a lot of the farmers in this area are selling out their land to developers for housing, and that's really going to cut into the local supply. What happens when we have to get our hay from out in Kansas or Oklahoma? Gonna get expensive fast. At least we have had plenty of rain this year, so supply should not be a problem. Last year was very dry and people were scrambling mid-winter to find any. Then the thick snow and ice hit and animals were consuming LOTS of hay because there was no foraging.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 PM

318 posts, read 512,788 times
Where in CA did she live? I paid more than $13 when I was there 2 years ago. As for now we have our own hay.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:18 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,915,289 times
i have no idea where abouts she lived ..she purchased a farm house across the way from me ... and I am not sure but I think she purchased the bar in town that has been shut down over and over.

I live in a town that there are as many bars as churches - too many bars for me!

Old 06-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Status: "Friends come and go. enemies accumalate" (set 7 days ago)

7,174 posts, read 5,034,331 times
With the past drought conditions in the south and other areas there will be more hay shortages. There is no 2 yr old hay left around thus that means none any newer. We just had costs including fertilizer of about $50-55 per round bale costs. Why would we want to sell for $60-65. Were we usin this logic; then the logic of working at something else is obvious

Old 06-11-2007, 04:18 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,820,149 times
Depends upon what kind of grass/clover the bale is, along w/ market [local, regional, etc.] influences. FIL just cut his grass, but then typical spring shower dampened such yesterday. He gets ~$50's for his round bales - Phelps County, MO. Clover, etc. will gather higher prices. Square bales [the kind that I spent many blistering/stifling hot summers tossing upon wagons and into stuffy barns] are still in the $3 ballpark.

Tagging along comment made above... worrisome that with the ethanol demand for corn, suburbs creeping all over, and other demands on a limited resource [land], prices are going to get quite interesting for some of the basic commodities, even the ones that the vast majority of people don't consider or are even aware of in their daily routines.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 31,345 times
We have two horses right now and are paying between 16 and 18 dollars a bale for 100 pound bales of alfalfa. Between the hay and supplements we spend 120 a week to feed 2 horses. It is becoming a real problem for people and as a result, many people are simply letting their horses go (run loose). Here's a link to an article that ran in today's local newspaper.

http://www.google.com/bookmarks/url?...nD_5KsZ5w&ct=b.

Sad story but it is becoming more and more of a problem as hay prices continue to skyrocket.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:13 AM

Is there a reason you are feeding alfalfa instead of prairie hay or fescue? I'm assuming you have high-performance horses? I was always told alfalfa was too rich to feed straight to horses, and would cause colic. I'm lucky my old gelding has always been an easy keeper-grass and salt block in summer, fescue hay and mineral block in winter. And the donkeys could practically live on vines and stick-tites alone!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 31,345 times
Default high cost of hay

In response to a question asked about why I feed my horses Alfalfa instead of grass hay...two reasons. Both horses we have were rescue horses and were several hundred pounds underweight when we got them, hence we needed to fatten them up and the alfalfa along with Triple Crown Senior did the trick. They are both at their ideal weight and maintaining even though one is a Thoroughbred and 19 years old (not an easy keeper in the weight department). Also, Timothy hay and Bermuda are currently going for $22.00 to $23.00 a bale in CA right now so I am reluctant to change their diets. I am considering moving them to pellets and supplementing with Timothy or Bermuda but am still researching that option. Anybody have any feedback on this idea?

Thanks - Carol

Old 11-18-2008, 08:05 PM

Cheers to you for taking in rescues! I fail to understand why people continue to keep animals they obviously are unable or unwilling to care for. As for nutrition advice, I'm sorry I can't be of any assistance. My problem has always been too MUCH weight on the animals. Since they are on pasture 24/7 it's hard to regulate the intake. I'm sure there are places on the web that can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri