Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mitsubishi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 9,348 times

Advertisements

New battery / new alternator yet is still shows a start of 6-7 volts output and then slowly lowers until car dies....

Here is the story....

I was hooking up an amp in my car to a successfully hooked up jvc stereo...made sure all grounds were independently grounded to the body of the car. Power wires for the amp was off the old amp that normally comes stock...wired it up to a switch for the amp turn off / on. Used RCA jacks on the back of the stereo for rear left and right. I did not use stereos basics rear speaker wires.The eq is powered by the same wires that power the stereo and has worked great for the last 6 months.I was not getting hardly any sound out of the speakers from my amp, then it happened..the battery was dead.
I have started the car and let it charge through out the whole set-up of the car stereo...oh forgot ..was using eq for rear speakers and moved eq to run off of the front r / l . So after hooking the eq up to its new speaker input and starting the car to adjust the channels.Nothing was wrong...hooked up the amp as I stated and the car is now dead.The alternator did go bad and was replace today , but it still does the same thing.
As I thought it was the alternator, I received a jump start and it showed the same signs as before.....soooo, I thought I might have caused a short somewhere in my wiring , either speakers or power.So in a panic I disconnect all power from my radio / eq / amp , this way, if it was a short I did while wiring, it would prove to be my mistake or something else.
All power is now disconnected from all three things and no difference was made.

Any thoughts to what is causing the car to not charge and die?

I have looked over all fuses , no problems, examined all wires under the hood, nothing has changed or even looks remotely close to being shorted out.

Desperate for a quick reply / answer as I need to fix it and head to work in a little over 24hrs.If there is a solution ..I will even try to fix it in the dark tonight.

Needs help fast with no money > used all I had to replace alternator,

Thy Ace

Edit : Extra information
The only thing on the car unplugged from stock is the hazard button.
Dash gauges do not work now either > fuses are good both under hood and in side panel.
Was daylight out at the time so did not try external lights.
Battery has no power drain when it is off.

i

Last edited by thy ace; 04-12-2011 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: extra info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 9,348 times
Found the problem after a headache and finding a ride to town...

The answer to this problem was...... the new battery proved to have a short in it , which only appeared after putting a heavy charge load on it. The heavy charge load was from me running basically my amp / eq / radio and accidentally turning on the fan...never noticed it at that time, since I had my radio blaring.

So if you think it is new or just replaced and was not replaced that day after testing it 1st....chk it again before you panic as I did.

Thy Ace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mitsubishi