Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mitsubishi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:25 AM

243 posts, read 1,206,853 times

Advertisements

Need help big time. I found the leak but cant seem to seal it.
Car: Mitsubishi Spyder Eclipse Convertible 2004 4CYL
Leak is on the drivers side, under the rug, near the gas pedal ( See photo ). As you can see I make an attempt to silicone it with no luck. I took out much of the silicone.

The leak seems to come from a point where part of the inside components bolt through the firewall. At that point there is some sort of rubber foam seal. A complete silicone seal did nothing. My next thought is to clean it out and use some Great Stuff in there or Marine 3M 4400 Sealant.

I cant see any bolt heads or I would try to tighten it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Have you checked around your windshield? Water can run along way before becoming apperant.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:04 PM

I have. We ran a hose on it for 30 minutes. Nothing from there.

Water seems to trickle out of this hole. It isnt fast, so it is pooling somewhere.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:28 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
If you have a sunroof a drain hose is disconnected, very common with autos with sunroofs.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:35 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
^^ It's a covertible

Old 07-02-2011, 10:11 PM

Yes it is a convertible.
It is odd how slow it leaks though and it isnt right away, even during heavy raining.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 16,891 times
Default 2000 mitsubishi eclipse water leak

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM FOR MORE THAN 8 MONTHS, PLEASE HELP WHAT SHOULD I DO ? I TRIED REPLACING PASSENGER AIR FILTER DIDNT WORK I TRIED SEALING THE AC DRAIN HOSE TUBE BETWEEN FIREWALL WITH 3M WINDOW WELD SEALER BUT PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS... THAT REALLY SEEM TO BE THE PROBLEM BUT IM NOT 100% SURE. I'll HAVE TO RECHECK EV ERYTHING MAKE SURE EVERYTHING HAS BEEN DONE THE CORRECTLY.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1t8QxK1054]2000+ Mitsubishi Eclipse Air Conditioning (A/C) Drain Tube Repair - YouTube[/url]

Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
An amazing amount of water can spray up from road spray, and find a hole under your car to penetrate. If you can get a sample from the wet spot, taste it and see if you can detect any road chemicals like salt.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:50 AM

25 posts, read 38,417 times
Under the cowling of the wiper blades that runs from side to the other side. Take that off. At each end, or at the side, you have drain holes. When these plug that valley becomes a bath tub, then overflows into those areas behind the dash, usually on acceleration. Clean those drains and valley out good, and make sure water flows all the way to the ground by the doors. That should solve your problems.

The way to check windshield for leaks. Put liquid soap water in sprayer. Spray around the edges of the glass, and use an air hose on the inside dash area and windshield frame. When you see bubbles you have found your leak. These leak issues are on YouTube as well.

I have a 2003 Eclipse and have a bad leak on the hatch, that runs inside the plastic trim. When I raise the hatch it pours out. I suspect the hatch seal on it. Until I get time to play with it, I bought a car cover off Ebay to cover it up through the winter. Wish you well.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 8,419 times
Ok did ANYONE ACTUALLY READ WHAT THIS PERSON SAID BEFORE THEY STARTED REPLYING RANDOMLY REPLYING WITH THEIR BASIC, STANDARD REPLIES?!,!?! About checking EVERYTHING ELSE EXCEPT WHAT THE ACTUAL PROBLEM IS! Poster STATED that they HAD LOCATED THE LEAK, coming FROM WHERE THE AC evaporate drainage tube GOES THROUGH THE FIREWALL TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE CAR, LEAKING BACK INTO THE CAR INSTEAD OF ACTUALLY DRAINING TO THE OUTSIDE ON THEIR SPYDER (aka convertible)! And the first answer was “check around the windshield” for a slow leak. Followed by “sunroof a drain hose is disconnected”- IGNORING THE FACT THIS IS A CONVERTIBLE. Next was “amazing amount of water can spray up from road spray and find a hole under your car to penetrate”. Then we had that return to the windshield region suggestion AGAIN! “The cowling of the wiper blades “ to “take that off” and to “check the drain tubes”!THEN THEY SUGGEST BACK TI THE TOPIC ALREADY COVERED OF “check the windshield for leaks” which had ALREADY been stated was checked! But that help then sent us off to YouTube! That somehow moved us to the BACKHATCH of a car leaking! ALL of WHICH WERE ALREADY STATED AS NOT BEING THE PROBLEM, as the ACTUAL SOURCE OF THE WATER HAS BEEN LOCATED, and only needed help in how to fix it! I myself have a Spyder convertible, that has had water leaking issues for a while! EVERY SINGLE TIME I WENT SEARCHING FOR THE PROBLEM, THESE WERE ALWAYS THE SAME THINGS SUGGESTED AS BEING THE PROBLEMS, AND NEVER ONCE WAS THE LEAK COMING FROM ANY OF THESE LOCATIONS OR SOURCES! The leaking issue was first around the Pilar A Delta Sash on both sides of the car door, pouring around them, ponding in the floor, then a leak from what appeared to be from a clogged drain tube leaking back inside and under the backseat into the floor, BUT INSTEAD water leaked into the car from where the convertible top had worn thing ON THE EXACT same place on both sides of the roof leaking behind the roof liner and running down the sides of the car behind the trim and ponding under the backseat before overflowing into the floor! BUT NO ONE SUGGESTED ANYTHING except the “sunroof leak” (on a convertible!?) the floor hole, and windshield everyone’s automatic reply- and NEVER the RIGHT PLACES WHERE THERE ARE ACTUAL LEAKS!!! The problem this person is having is the AC drain leaking back into the car! My same current problem and there is actually a TSB on this problem to fix it. FIRST you must open up the condenser box and CLEAN out all the stuff like bugs, leafs and other things that have collected inside. Then run something through the drain hole to the outside to clear it out. Then REMOVE ALL OF THE OLD FOAM AROUND THE SPACE WHERE THE DRAIN GOES THROUGH THE FIREWALL and best solution is use the expanding spray insulation and spray around the area and that will stop the problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mitsubishi