Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mitsubishi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,882 times

Advertisements

Hello;

I own a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS with 170,000 miles. I am the original owner. The vehicle is in excellent condition inside and out. Other than regular services I never needed major mechanical or electrical repair work until 2 years ago when the factory installed alternator went bad.

I had it replaced and the auto repair center gave a two year warranty on parts and labor. All good. One day (last week) before the warranty expired, the replaced alternator goes bad. Same auto repair shop honors warranty and installs new alternator free of charge. I am given a new 12 months warranty on the second alternator. The mechanic informs me I should replace the battery with a new heavy duty type. He doesn't have a new battery but says I can easily do this myself.

I head to the nearest auto parts center and purchase a heavy duty Super Start Premium battery ($135.00). I replace the old battery with the new one. Car is starting and running beautifully.

Only one week after these repairs were done, the 2nd alternator blows out. I take my car back to the same mechanic. He states he will replace the alternator once again but won't extend any warranty anymore, claiming he can't continue to eat the cost for this repair.

While I understand auto repair shops are under no legal obligation to extend warranty, considering the 2nd alternator (with 12 months warranty) went bad only one week after it was installed, shouldn't the repair shop extend that warranty to the 3rd alternator?

Am I to accept the no warranty offer and hope and pray this alternator won't go bad as quickly or do I have options available? If so, what are they?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Lodester
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 04:13 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
No. You only get the balance of the warranty that is left, it does not get extended.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,882 times
Hi Tourian, thanks for responding.

OK, that means then that I should get 11 months and 3 weeks of warranty on the alternator now being installed? Is that correct?

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mitsubishi