U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,709,129 times

Advertisements

There was a time recently where the UFC had such crap for heavyweights, it was hard to give a crap about any of the fights above 205.

I think the next few top-tier fights are as interesting as we've seen in the division, both Carwin-Lesnar and the winner matching up with Brown Pride, along with Dos Santos in the wings.

If you had to guess, who will be the UFC heavyweight champion this time next year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,196,086 times
my vote is shane carwin. brock is a big strong man but carwin has more exp, less attitude, and more skilled hands. plus his power is as strong or stronger then brocks. his wrestling is equal IMO. look at what he did the mir is half the time it took brock to do less, AND he did it with his off hand.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 PM

I think Lesnar will take it, I've heard so much talk of Carwin's wrestling but haven't really seen much of it in practice. I also question Carwin's gas tank a lot more than Lesnar.

Either way they share a common bond in having pounded Frank Mir on the side of the head repeatedly while fans across the nation giggled.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:19 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,936,449 times
i think it's really hard to say, which is a great thing! if i was a gambling man, i'de go with Lesnar...i believe his work ethic is hard to match, couple that with his natural talent, and it makes a tough dude to beat!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
my vote is shane carwin. brock is a big strong man but carwin has more exp, less attitude, and more skilled hands. plus his power is as strong or stronger then brocks. his wrestling is equal IMO. look at what he did the mir is half the time it took brock to do less, AND he did it with his off hand.
rigas, man, after your UFC 114 picks, i'm suprised to see you making a prediction.

i'm kidding, dude - but i'm gonna go with Lesnar in this fight. i think you're right that Carwin has the better hands, but i'm not sure how you figure that Carwins wrestling is = to Brock's. i think the higher level wrestling of Lesnar will be a factor, and i also believe that Lesnar will prove to be the more powerfull fighter. and i dont mean punching power, i mean power to control his opponent. either way, a pretty tough one to call - Carwin is no joke.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:03 PM

oh come on man, i went 500 on ufc 114, and diego was the absolute fav, and duffee got KTFO after OWNING the whole fight. SO THERE! rampage lost sure but he had that chance late.

carwin is pretty close to the same size, and both will put on about 20-25 lbs after weigh ins. brock will not be MUCH bigger at fight time. carwin is a national wrestling champ while not div 1 he is no joke wrestling. brock is a very good wrestler but IMO he spent to much time in the WWE and may have lost some of his true wrestling and gained to much WRASTLIN. if he was not worried about carwins wrestling and clinch game he would not have called randy to come help train him. carwin on the other hand is training with greg jackson whom i am not a big fan of but his fighters win and half of them are div 1 wrestlers like rashad.
it is going to be tough but i think brock has ring rust, adverse effects from illness, and potentially be out of shape. carwin on the other hand had a recent fight, has not stopped training and is motivated.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 AM

2,024 posts, read 4,606,310 times
Brock is the bigger and stronger fighter here but I am not a doctor and I don't know how much Brock having a hole in his stomach set him back so this one is hard to call. We don't have to wait long to find out. I would like to see Brock win this fight though.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
carwin is pretty close to the same size, and both will put on about 20-25 lbs after weigh ins.
Carwin has come in under 260 in fights before, including as low as 252 in UFC84 and 259 at UFC96 vs. Gonzaga. I don't think he's cutting that much weight he's a natural 265 guy.

I mean Carwin is still a big powerful dude but I bet Lesnar's going to have probably 25 pounds on him. The height difference was pretty obvious compared to Mir in their respective face offs, Carwin was shorter than Mir and Lesnar was taller.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:54 PM

nah you got something off on something, mir is listed at 6'1" lesnar 6'3" and carwin at 6'4"

this is a quote from a carwin interview before gonzaga fight.
Quote:
Do you have to cut weight to get down to the heavyweight limit of 265?
Usually I walk around at about 275 to 280, but about three months out I clean up my diet and eat healthy, and I tend to get down pretty lean. Usually by fight time I shouldn't have to cut weight.

How much do you weigh right now?
Right now I'm about 262 to 265.
lesnar admittedly walks about 290 lbs. they both will weigh in at the 265 limit exactly i am sure. carwin will not cut as much for lesnar as he did for much smaller guys. sources also said he and mir both cut to get to 265. when these guys cut to 265, how much weight do you really think they can put back on. my GUESS is about 20 lbs for their size so they should both be fairly close in weight about 275-280-285lbs. at their weight a 10 lb difference is not very much.

i am also a firm believer there should be a 206-230 weight class and a 231+ weight class. a guy like randy or fedor should not be in the same weight class as guys like brock and carwin. fedor sits around 230 lbs and randy consistently was about 225 lbs. that is like a LHW fighting a welter weight or even a light weight. its just not fair. that said i dont want mma to adopt the STUPID weight classes boxing has. i mean there is not much difference in what 2-3-4 weight classes? i also believe they should adopt a second weigh in to force guys to fight a little closer to their class. case in point, bj penn vs gsp 2. bj walked around close to 170, and gsp close to 190. gsp cut to get to 170 and then rehydrate to about 185 per his interview. bj i think weighed in about 168 so gsp was nearly 20 lbs heavier.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:26 PM

Why would Carwin have cut to 259 and 252 in those fights then, I don't get it. If he's talking about just getting in shape over a period of months and dropping off some fat while training that makes sense he could go from 280 to 265 (or 250s) but he's not going to gain all that back after the weigh-in, that's why the Carwin quote your provided says he DOESN'T have to cut weight. Lesnar on the other hand supposedly has to actually cut as in play the dehydration game to make weight, then he pops back up to 290 or whatever. That would give Lesnar a size advantage fight night.

And while I've certainly never measured any of them it sure doesn't seem like Carwin is taller than Lesnar or Mir, in fact he seemed distinctly shorter than Frank Mir.

Last edited by slackjaw; 06-24-2010 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)